Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Well, my test this past weekend in dealing with the convection micro-oven turntable slip issue was a dismal failure. The silicon trivet I used, supposedly heat resistant to 625, turned to a goo when placed between the turntable and a casserole at 375 for 35m. I guess pressure factors in a variable unaccounted for. Thankfully the issue I was trying to solve for - that things slide on the nonstick turntable into walls and stop rotating when the trailer is ever slightly off center - made cleanup of the oven easy to handle once things cooled down again.

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Fors F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Convection / Microwave makes me smile because DW ALWAYS has fresh cookies, biscuits, muffins, or cinnamon rolls ready almost before I have the EB set up! (Yes, she shares with our friends ... it is wonderful to have fresh chocolate chip cookies still with the chips melting - to offer to fellow campers. We often take a plate to those poor souls outside in the cold / tenters. I am a lucky guy!

Can you give a quick lesson on how the convection microwave oven works for you?
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #63
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I ordered my trailer with the Sharp Convection/Microwave. While I think I am relatively intelligent, I found this the most diabolically designed appliance I ever owned (past tense). After less than a year, I took it out and replaced it with an Amana oven that has worked perfectly. Some things just need to be baked. There was just enough room under the thermal oven for a Cuisinart Microwave/Convection. Granted you have to get on the floor to use it (and the dogs are VERY helpful with this), but it solved my issue of wanting both a thermal and microwave. This problem goes away when my '15 Classic arrives as it has both. AND, it has the way cool new Dometic cooktop/oven. It'll get a workout!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I ordered my unit with the microwave/convection oven option and no gas oven. We first wanted the gas oven, then after 3 years of camping in a camper with a gas oven I realized we never used it once. I hope we made the right decision.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
We quite literally use our oven 2 trips out of three. We make croissants, pizza as well as use it to reheat in lieu of a microwave.
On a trip to the CA coast, my wife once made an on-the-fly blackberry pie in my cast iron skillet when we came across a trove of wild blackberries. That surprised the Brits camping next to us that our "caravan has a real kitchen."
I wanted a microwave up front but now have no interest.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #66
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I've got a convection microwave, and a gas oven... You just can't hide money!

-Red
Old 10-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
We don't have a microwave, so we use our oven regularly. When the pilot is lit, it's just warm enough inside to dry damp towels on the top rack. We keep a hanging oven thermometer inside it to give a better read on the temperature when cooking. My wife also rigs a diffuser under whatever she's cooking in to distribute the heat more evenly (helps avoid burning around the edges especially on brownies, sweet rolls, etc.). Lighting the pilot is simple once you know the procedure. We have only had a problem once after traveling on a really rough road. It sheered the propane fuel line off at the back of the pilot/burner. My wife discovered it when she went to light the pilot and got a face full of flame from the broken fuel line instead. Thinking she did something wrong, she tried it again with the same result (she admits to being blonde). Then she came to find me (sans eyebrows) and told me what happened. It didn't take me long to figure out how and where the fuel line was broken. We didn't use the oven that week of camping and had it repaired by pros at the first opportunity. Fortunately, we were still able to use the stove top.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
I have the Sharp Microwave Convection oven and I love it. My only gripe is the display is hard to read unless you're at eye level. But otherwise, it works great.

What I have finally figured out is to use it as a microwave just like any microwave, I just remove the rack, enter time and hit Start.

When I want to use the convection oven, I don't bother with the COMPU features. I just press CONVEC, preheat the oven, enter time, put the food on the rack and his Start. If the recipe calls for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, that's the time and temperature I use and it works great.

I did find the instructions very confusing. So for my own sanity I typed up my own "cheat sheet" instructions and produced my own instruction manual. As I said, I never use the Compu features, so I pretty much stick with pages 1-4 of my instructions. But the Compu instructions are there if needed.

I converted my Word document to PDF and I'm attaching it here. If you have the Sharp microwave convection oven, hopefully you'll find it useful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sharp_Convection_Microwave.pdf (377.2 KB, 227 views)
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
We make nachos, putting the cookie sheet with chips and cheese at the bottom under the burner (like a broiler). I'll be baking frozen pretzels in the oven this weekend for our Oktoberfest gathering at Northern Illinois Rally.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
As a side, BUT getting you into the spirit of USING your oven -- Cook's Illustrated did one of their specialty editions in recent years on "Make Ahead Recipes" -- if you can find this (or these, they may be routinely out in different recipe selections,) check them out. I have two great recipes for chicken pot pies and lasagnas, that are both frozen and both sit in the aluminum "mini bread" containers -- making it easy to pull out of the freezer, brush some butter on the crust (in the case of the pot pie) and drop them in the oven for an easy and amazing dinner to impress.

Alton Brown also has a great blueberry pie disc recipe that gives out frozen pie blanks, you just drop into a store bought crust, add some quick pie crust or lattice onto and bake for another amazing dessert (or breakfast as is oft my case...)

Ian

Someones variant on the Chicken Pot Pie:
Make-Ahead Mini Chicken Pot Pies | Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms

And Alton's blueberry blanks:
Frozen Blueberry Pie Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
I have the Sharp Microwave Convection oven and I love it. My only gripe is the display is hard to read unless you're at eye level. But otherwise, it works great.

What I have finally figured out is to use it as a microwave just like any microwave, I just remove the rack, enter time and hit Start.

When I want to use the convection oven, I don't bother with the COMPU features. I just press CONVEC, preheat the oven, enter time, put the food on the rack and his Start. If the recipe calls for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, that's the time and temperature I use and it works great.

I did find the instructions very confusing. So for my own sanity I typed up my own "cheat sheet" instructions and produced my own instruction manual. As I said, I never use the Compu features, so I pretty much stick with pages 1-4 of my instructions. But the Compu instructions are there if needed.

I converted my Word document to PDF and I'm attaching it here. If you have the Sharp microwave convection oven, hopefully you'll find it useful.

time2play - thanks for the instructions and guide! VERY helpful. We just got our AS and we love the convection oven. Cooked acorn squash last weekend and it was perfect. We have a convection oven at home as well and have leaned that cooking time can be much faster on convection. Our squash cooked in 18 minutes on 325. Filled our little FC20 with great aroma!

WBCCI #7246
AIR #91367
Old 11-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I wish I could see that guide, for some reason I cannot pull it up. Great thread, great ideas. Thanks for posting tips, everyone!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:03 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Since we could not omit the microwave, we have used it a few times along with the propane oven. We like the oven as it requires no electrical power when off grid. If we had ordered the convection unit, we would have lost the propane oven. Sort of a poor solution choices situation.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
1983 34' Excella
Naples , Florida
Love it! Use it a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hhthorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Microwave Convection Combo

Thanks time2play. Your cheat sheet is great. I too don't use the Compu cook feature.

Our first 2 Airstreams (2007 Safari 20ft. and a 2012 Flying Cloud 25ft.) had ovens which I never used not even once. Our current Airstream, 2015 Flying Cloud 28ft. and the 2012 Flying Cloud have the Sharp combo microwave/convection. I use the microwave and convection features all the time. I have made great brownies, casseroles, bread, etc. in the convection oven. I am happy that the 2015 we purchased didn't come with a gas oven. I guess it all comes down to what and how you cook as far as your preference.

Mrs. Silverbee
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #76
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Like others, we have a propane oven and a microwave. We've made all kinds of things in the propane oven, and we're very happy with it. However, we expected the oven's temperature gauge to be approximate, which it is. So, we also bought a digital oven thermometer. We clip the oven temp sensor to one of the shelf rack bars in the back of the oven and run the wire out to the readout which sits on the counter, tweaking the temp knob as necessary to get a reasonably good and consistent temperature for baking things. Our temp sensor, by Thermoworks: http://www.thermoworks.com/images/pr...tw8060_z_d.jpg
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Interesting thread and thanks for the informative manual!
I will pass it further up the line to management. Operating a highly complex contraption like our convection / microwave is way beyond my pay level.

Cheers
Doug

Old 11-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Fancy gauge Silvery Moon. I bought one of those oven thermometers at Walmart, I have to look in now and then.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
This is a good thread for me...I have never used the oven and just this morning moved all of my baking items- pizza stone, baking pans, etc... Out of the pantry into the oven to make more room for the stove top items that I do use!

But I am going to challenge myself to make pizza next trip...thanks all for the advice.
Annie
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:26 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
Thanks for the fantastic idea on using a marble tile or cut to fit pizza stone to help even out the 'bottom browning' when using the oven. We were thrilled when we were able to get our 1980 oven to light and I couldn't wait to use it. Since the weather was chilly, the heat wasn't bad, but our cinnamon buns ended up with burnt bottoms.

I was trying to figure out rigging a cookie sheet or second rack, but the stone/tile idea is perfect!

Now I'll just have to make sure we try it out with some chocolate chip cookies!!
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote