Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2008, 03:47 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
Give me an address but remember three pounds of crawdads is just one trip to the buffet in Lafeyette. Would need lots of beer and hot sauce to compensate, lol.
Three pounds is what you give the young'uns to eat for their first plate!
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #42
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist
Three pounds is what you give the young'uns to eat for their first plate!
It was part of our appitizer courses.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
It was part of our appitizer courses.
If that was the appetizer, the follow up must have been impressive!

I grew up on the Gulf Coast, and I really miss the food. After living here for nearly 8 years, I'm still trying to figure out why folks in South Carolina would waste perfectly good shrimp and grits by mixing the two together.
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Gracie (she) did that one time and did not get pinched. I was pinched once when I took that crayfish out of her mouth.

Still looking for a good gumbo recipe.
Richard - try this one - Cray fish would work well...

Shrimp and Andouille Gumbo

I grew to love Gumbo one summer when I spent a few weeks working in New Orleans. There are as many recipes as there are grandmothers in Louisiana. This is one I adapted from River Road Recipes and some other sources.

For shrimp stock:
Shells from 2 pounds shrimp
3 quarts of water
1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 stalk celery, roughly chopped

For gumbo:
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup flour
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, diced
1 green peppers, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
2 quarts shrimp stock
8 ounces Andouille or smoked sausage
2 pounds shrimp
1 tablespoons gumbo filé

Cooked long grain white rice

Peel and de-vein shrimp reserving the shells. Set shrimp aside in refrigerator. Place shells in a saucepan with three quarts of water. Add chopped onion, carrot and celery. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour or until it has reduced by about a third. Strain, discarding solids and use stock for gumbo.

In a 5 quart stock pot or Dutch oven make a roux using 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup flour. Slowly heat until it becomes a deep nut brown. If the roux should scorch and burn throw it out and start over. Be careful making the roux, it gets very hot. If the roux starts to smoke, remove it from the heat for a few minutes and keep whisking. The pan will retain a lot of heat that will continue to cook the roux even off the flame.

Let the roux cook for a couple of minutes and carefully add onion, celery, and green pepper to it. Cook, stirring constantly, until the onion just starts to turn translucent. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes (do not drain), bay leaf, salt and pepper, cayenne pepper, and stir to combine. Gradually add the shrimp stock while whisking continually. Decrease the heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Brown the sausage slightly in a skillet, slice into 1/2 inch slices, and add to gumbo. Cook for another 10 minutes. Add shrimp and simmer until the shrimp turns pink, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and slowly add filé, stirring constantly. Cover and allow to sit for 10 minutes while the filé thickens. Serve in shallow bowls with a mound of rice in the center.

-----
Jim
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkat
I was born and raised in Lafayette Louisiana and I've never eaten crawfish gumbo. The thing about crawfish meat is that it gets real tough if its cooked too much. I think a good crawfish etouffee (ay-too-fay) would be a better choice to prepare. Here's a link to a good crawfish etouffee recipie by Mark Savoy from Eunice, La. He makes accordians in the cajun style, in fact they're named "Cajun". Have fun with the recipie...it's real good cher!
Marc Savoy's Crawfish Étouffée

buzzkat
mais, chere, ole buzzkat know what he's talkin' about, lemme tell you...

etouffee' is way better than gumbo if you're cookin' crawfish (you can spell it or pronounce it any way you like, but if you want to be correct you will spell and say "crawfish"...;-) and you'll be hard pressed to find a better recipe' than Marc Savoy's...

re: head sucking OK, yall can suck dem heads if you want to, but me, all I get is a mouth full of salt water when I do that and I don't need me no more high blood den what I got already... the "doctrinaire" approach (ahem..) is to take your finger and scoop out the yellow fat ONLY and, of course, eat it, leaving the salt water inside the head... OK, you may now call yourself an Honorary Cajun...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:07 AM   #46
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I started this thread a year ago and guess what? It's that time again. This weekend Jan and I will be hosting our third Crayfish Festival with our flyfishing club. We have a new location this year at Woods Canyon Lake with a nice Ramada to clean, cook and serve these nasty little guys under.

We are going to try a new catching method this year. Along with the traps we are going to use pantyhose. The way this is supposed to work is; you put some pantyhose in the water with bait in the leg(s). The crayfish try to get the bait and get stuck in the mesh of the hose. We'll see how this works.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote