Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Do you use your microwave?

We are on our 3rd year with our Safari. When we first bought Sempi2, I bought a microwave. I measured a cabinet where one might fit. Found one that fits perfectly. To date we have used it twice. One time to make a baked potato (which we could have put on the BBQ and/or oven). Second time was to warm up some leftover pasta. I am rethinking the need for a microwave, as I might be able to use the space for other things we use more often.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
No,
I had it removed and a Gas oven/cooktop installed. I had a factory Microwave in stalled which meant only a cooktop.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Baked potatoes have become our first night staple so yes, we do use the microwave. It took Mrs T a few weeks to work out its funny little ways ("you do the microwave, darling, I'll handle the greasy old hitch" - works every time) but it sure beats trying to light a camp fire and cooking for an hour after a long trip.

As an aside, I can recommend Heinz Baked Beans imported from England as a very good compliment to said Baked Potatoes. I haven't quite worked out how or why they differ from their North American brothers, but they do; answers on a postcard, please....

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I often re-heat my coffee in ours.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We use Lucy' microwave all the time. We even built a cabinet for it. If we could dump the stove top and oven, we could get Lucy a second microwave.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We use Lucy' microwave all the time. We even built a cabinet for it. If we could dump the stove top and oven, we could get Lucy a second microwave.

Brian
Brian, what do you use the microwave for? I find that even at home we only use ours to warm up leftovers, make popcorn and warm water for my cup-o-soup. Also steam veggies, but for the most part it is not used very much.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we are very fortunate that our model of Safari came with all three: Stove top, Oven, and Micro-wave. We seldom use our oven, but I would never have it removed. We pre-cook some of our food at home because it is easier to do and we re-heat them in our micro-wave. For example; we never plan to cook bacon in our trailer and have the bacon smell soaked into our mouse fur interior, not to mention grease splatter. [yes, even Turkey bacon has grease splatter] Since there is only two of us, not counting Dusty the dog, a piece of steak and few veggies on a dinner plate makes a good and simple meal that can be heated in our micro-wave oven. Rarely, but sometimes I even micro-wave ice cream. [too hard to scoop]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
as mentioned, microwave cooking has its own techniques and quirks. once you ruin a few meals and learn how to not make leather from beef, it gets better :-) i've rarely used and electric cook top but those have their own quirks that are different than gas.

i've done well enough with the microwave to avoid mastering convection/microwave cooking ;-)

my usual style is to batch cook and put individual portions together to reheat in the microwave. this also reduces the amount of dished i need to clean at each meal. the microwave also generated less moisture and heat. i even use a toaster oven in combination with the rest. we can never have too many tools!

if only i could find and easier way to make lasagna in the trailer. *sigh*
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:35 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
Send a message via Skype™ to cruiser54
In the Cruiser in 1954 a microwave built-in comes above the fridge. For 35 years I need this at my home. Ideally dog food is to be made in it (from the deep cooler directly in the mikro). Meanwhile, there are also many prefabricated food to shop for only 1 person. I live on it to 3/4, 1/4 in the Restaurant's..... I cannot cook!
Werner
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:30 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Summer time with corn-on-the-cob, quick and easy in the MW.
Big pot of campfire chilly re-heated on the fly, home made cinnamon buns warmed up, cup-o-water quickly warmed for tea, frozen meat defrosted for the grill, popcorn, oatmeal for a quick breakfast on a cool morning before fish'n, Mother-in-laws pot of potato soup, Sister-in-laws whatever that was.....

I guess we do use it more than I thought we would.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:44 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Our 05 Safari came with a combination microwave/convection oven. We use both and are getting more comfortable with the convection thing. It is a pain, however as this oven is beneath the stove top and you have to almost get on the knees to work things. Seems like a better approach would be to put the thing at eye level and use the space below the stove for storage.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Opposite of Michelle's experience, we've stayed with the stovetop & convection microwave underneath. About the only thing we microwave is Susie's rice-filled 'beanbags' -- usually for late night restless legs. We use the convection all the time, although the small turntable limits this to dinner for two or potluck side dishes. It's also great for reheating good bread. We manage fine without the convection microwave when boondocking -- though we've been known to fire up the genset if the mealplan calls for it.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Ours came with the convection/microwave oven. We've used it for everything from warming things up to cooking a steak dinner. We found this to be much more useful than the gas oven in our old trailer.
So, yes, we do use the microwave.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb435 View Post
Ours came with the convection/microwave oven. We've used it for everything from warming things up to cooking a steak dinner. We found this to be much more useful than the gas oven in our old trailer.
So, yes, we do use the microwave.
Yup, same here. But then we use a convection oven at home too.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Brian, what do you use the microwave for? I find that even at home we only use ours to warm up leftovers, make popcorn and warm water for my cup-o-soup. Also steam veggies, but for the most part it is not used very much.
At home we use our microwaves (we have two) for everything. We steam vegetables, heat just about everything, cook microwave diners, make pasta, etc. We rarely use the stove burners, and as far as our life goes, they are about useless. Our cook top has a gas grill that we use pretty often.

Our home cooking lifestyle is just about the same as the way we live in Lucy.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
We have used ours mainly for warming up the frozen leftovers brought from home... so far spaghetti, lasagna and enchiladas. works great. Breakfast eggs are scrambled on the cooktop. Oven is for pan storage at this point.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

Brian
Wow!

We seldom use ours---then only to melt butter, reheat leftovers or steam vegetables.

We have gotten better and better at simple, one-dish meals when we are traveling, supplemented by salad or fresh veggies/fruit, so as to minimize preparation and leave no leftovers.

We have occasionally nuked potatoes in there and made popcorn when we are plugged in to electricity.

Our primary use for the microwave is storage for moisture-sensitive items like open packages of crackers.

If we could get rid of one item in the RV, it would be the microwave.

Maggie
Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #18
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
They're great for baked potatos. And you can make a heck of a meal out of a baked potato, with all the fixings, shredded cheese, butter, canned chili..

Another great veggie dish in a microwave is acorn squash, Cut one in two, scoop the seeds out of the middle with a spoon, put half in a bowl with the opening up. Sprinkle brown sugar or honey on the top and put a few pats of butter on it. Nuke that for about 8 minutes, until you can easily slide a fork into it. don't break the skin or the melted butter will run out. eat it with the spoon, scooping out the squash and dipping it in the pool of butter.

It's as good as dessert. No kidding. Cheap. Clean, healthy, easy clean up.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
if only i could find and easier way to make lasagna in the trailer. *sigh*[/QUOTE]

That one was easy for me. I batch cook the spagetti sauce then make several smaller pans of lasagna and freeze. I also make my garlic bread and freeze. Before a trip just load into the freezer or cooler. Since I freeze the lasagna in aluminum pans (easy clean up) I use the oven to heat through.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I tend to stock the trailer with a selection of frozen ingredients since our meal plans are so often subject to change. The microwave is then useful for thawing meat, juice concentrate, and the like. We also use it to make instant oatmeal and to bring butter that has been in the fridge to room temperature, and to heat milk for hot chocolate.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote