Old 06-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Brian, what do you use the microwave for? I find that even at home we only use ours to warm up leftovers, make popcorn and warm water for my cup-o-soup. Also steam veggies, but for the most part it is not used very much.
At home we use our microwaves (we have two) for everything. We steam vegetables, heat just about everything, cook microwave diners, make pasta, etc. We rarely use the stove burners, and as far as our life goes, they are about useless. Our cook top has a gas grill that we use pretty often.

Our home cooking lifestyle is just about the same as the way we live in Lucy.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
We have used ours mainly for warming up the frozen leftovers brought from home... so far spaghetti, lasagna and enchiladas. works great. Breakfast eggs are scrambled on the cooktop. Oven is for pan storage at this point.

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #17
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We use Lucy' microwave all the time. We even built a cabinet for it. If we could dump the stove top and oven, we could get Lucy a second microwave.

We seldom use ours---then only to melt butter, reheat leftovers or steam vegetables.

We have gotten better and better at simple, one-dish meals when we are traveling, supplemented by salad or fresh veggies/fruit, so as to minimize preparation and leave no leftovers.

We have occasionally nuked potatoes in there and made popcorn when we are plugged in to electricity.

Our primary use for the microwave is storage for moisture-sensitive items like open packages of crackers.

If we could get rid of one item in the RV, it would be the microwave.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #18
one of those
2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
They're great for baked potatos. And you can make a heck of a meal out of a baked potato, with all the fixings, shredded cheese, butter, canned chili..

Another great veggie dish in a microwave is acorn squash, Cut one in two, scoop the seeds out of the middle with a spoon, put half in a bowl with the opening up. Sprinkle brown sugar or honey on the top and put a few pats of butter on it. Nuke that for about 8 minutes, until you can easily slide a fork into it. don't break the skin or the melted butter will run out. eat it with the spoon, scooping out the squash and dipping it in the pool of butter.

It's as good as dessert. No kidding. Cheap. Clean, healthy, easy clean up.
A Blog from the Devil's Triangle
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
if only i could find and easier way to make lasagna in the trailer. *sigh*[/QUOTE]

That one was easy for me. I batch cook the spagetti sauce then make several smaller pans of lasagna and freeze. I also make my garlic bread and freeze. Before a trip just load into the freezer or cooler. Since I freeze the lasagna in aluminum pans (easy clean up) I use the oven to heat through.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I tend to stock the trailer with a selection of frozen ingredients since our meal plans are so often subject to change. The microwave is then useful for thawing meat, juice concentrate, and the like. We also use it to make instant oatmeal and to bring butter that has been in the fridge to room temperature, and to heat milk for hot chocolate.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Worley , Idaho
Sempi2, what size and brand of microwave did you buy and which cabinet did you put it in. Our AS has the oven and cook top but no microwave and we want to add one. I've been looking at the .6 cu. ft Contour microwaves but am wondering what the best location might be for a permanent install. Thanks.
2006 Safari 28' SE (Sylvia)
75th Anniversary Edition
2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2005 30' Classic S/O
Phoenix , Arizona
We have the microwave/convection oven. We have used it for everything. Popcorn, pizza
from scratch, pork chops, steaming vegetables. Anything we have done at home we are able to do in the MW.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
We just picked up the .6 cu. ft. Contour yesterday. It works great! I tested a mug of water in it, and it heats up nearly as fast as our built-in microwave at home. Our 2008 27' International came with the microwave in the sliding cabinet (in addition to oven/stovetop — a real oven is a must for me!). The original microwave is a Tappan that has since been discontinued. The Contour is about 3/4" taller than the Tappan, but the smallest—at least shortest, on available anywhere. It is *just* too tall to fit in the cabinet — the latch for the button that keeps the closet closed makes it unable to fit. We're in the process of replacing the base shelve that the microwave sites in, which is 1" thick, with a 1/2" thick board so that we can stuff the microwave in there.

All so my husband can re-heat his coffee (microwaving coffee is a travesty in and of itself!). I'd much rather do away with the microwave entirely. More storage. And there's a bunch of wasted/empty storage space, in terms of depth, when that drawer is used for a microwave.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We use the microwave a lot both at home and in the Airstream. Fast and does not make a lot of extra heat. What we do not use is the gas oven. Makes a good place to store bread and stuff to keep it away from the Dog.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #25

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
We use the microwave a lot both at home and in the Airstream. Fast and does not make a lot of extra heat. What we do not use is the gas oven. Makes a good place to store bread and stuff to keep it away from the Dog.
That's probably the most common use... and Fado duz know where his treats are.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member
Austin , Texas
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I had it removed and a Gas oven/cooktop installed. I had a factory Microwave in stalled which meant only a cooktop.
Hello, wondering what gas oven cooktop you installed as I HATE the convection microwave are 34' came with. Impossible to use.
yve79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #27
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Originally Posted by yve79 View Post
Hello, wondering what gas oven cooktop you installed as I HATE the convection microwave are 34' came with. Impossible to use.
I will go out in my trailer and look tomorrow morning.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
Las Vegas , Nevada
I'm not savvy about the electrical workings of the AS... Would it be possible to bring a home microwave along on our next trip? Or are we looking at a blown fuse?

Gastrolith is offline   Reply With Quote