Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
Question Dishes for the Camper

Hi!
We just got our camper last spring and the couple times it was out we used paper products. I want to get dishes that will work with the theme I am going towards, 50's Diner with the red glitter vinyl (completion wil take years, but one piece or project at at time).

I have been looking for something like the Melamine dishes that are microwave safe in a red, black, or white color. Tupperware has a set of red dishes out, however they also are not for the microwave. I want something that is NOT breakable, as we have two small children, but I am not finding it. I know about the Corelle, but it leaves such tiny, sharp pieces when it does break.

For drinking I will probably end up with one of the clear glasses on the site below, but would appreciate any ideas on dinnerware. The best thing about the set below is they are made to stack!

Any ideas you could offer would be great!

Thankyou, Crystal

Outdoor glasses:
Kitchen Decor & Dining Accessories at Kohls.com

Gibson Stakware:
Kohl's
CampUnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Melmac/Melamine is good choice..

You are correct about Corelle breakage and china is impractical with vibration and children.. We have paper (with woven holdes) for emergencies, but rely on melamine.. Interestingly, best places to find it are places you might not regularly shop, like heavy discounters, seasonal pharmacy or outdoor shops with sales.. E-Bay is also a source for inexpensive dishes and cups. If you search vintage plastic or melamine dishes or plastic glasses or aluminum glasses, you'll find a lot of choices.. In our area, Rite-Aide and Walgreen stores often load up on seasonal items in spring for outdoor/camping use...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
First off, Sorry to all for posting this in the wrong place....I didn't realze where I was apparently. However here is a site I found that might help also....I'll look into it more but I'll probably find something on it that I like well enough for what it is.
Crystal
Old 03-21-2011, 05:05 AM   #4

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I just got red melamine dishes from Target fro Christmas and love them. I was there this weekend and now they are on sale! They have several styles to choose from but here's what I got.

I've been looking for a year and really like these and they were pretty cheap!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-150945424.png
Views:	270
Size:	800.8 KB
ID:	125048  
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Square melamine is great for campers. I used a set of 8 in a mixed coordinating pattern, from Target, in my CCD and have moved half of them to my little Westy.
Generally melamine is NOT microwaveable. My CCD did not have a micro but my Westy does. We use paper in the microwave.

For glasses, I suggest you get everyone a Tervis Tumbler. They are true to period. Have everyone choose a personalized tumbler and coordinating lid as you walk out the door. Wash and use them while camping and traveling.
I alternate between a flamingo with a light pink lid and a pink flower with a dark pink lid. My husband alternates between one that says "BIKE" with a royal lid and the classic Airstream being pulled by a bike with a navy lid. We do not carry coffee cups and use our tumblers for hot and cold. We use the 16oz but they come in a variety of sizes.
Our tumblers live in the house and only one per camper goes out on the road.
Tervis Tumbler's Official Site | Insulated Plastic Cups & Mugs | Guaranteed for Life

For company I have 4 polycarbonate square glasses that I purchased at Target.

My solution for saving space in the CCD was to purchase some FoldTuk pieces that can go from fridge to oven and collapse for storage. I have the 4 and 6 cup rectangles. They were great for heating left overs in the oven.
FoldTuk Kitchenware--Bakeware, Roaster, Space saving, Microwave safe, Foldable, Collapsible, Green

I have my family color coordinated. Husband-Green, Older Son-Blue, Younger Son-Orange and Me-Pink. This is great for towels on the road, water bottles, notes on the calendar and any time you need to keep like items separate and easily recognizable. I have done this for years.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
planning to look at Target this week! Might get a couple of the corelle just for the microwave though.
Birds Nest, thanks for the links, ill look into them also!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, you'd be surprised what you can pick up in a second-hand store! Maria was down at one in Taos one time, and the prop folks from the movie Off the Map came in with dishes, among other stuff. Maria picked it up. That's what we use in the Airstream now.

Lynn
Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampUnger View Post
planning to look at Target this week! Might get a couple of the corelle just for the microwave though.
Birds Nest, thanks for the links, ill look into them also!
The WalMarts here in Little Rock have open stock Corelle in several patterns as well as complete sets. You should be able to find what you want there if not at Target.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
I have been looking at the second hand store, unfortunatly around here most of it is not what I'm after, or I'm not in there when it does. Our Walmart has the openstock Corelle as well, thats where I thought I'd get the couple of pieces from.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I bought some enamel-coated stainless steel plates from GSI outdoors. They have them in a speckled lipstick red, cobalt blue and granny apple green. Lightweight and durable. But, they're not microwaveable...
Rae

via~ AIR Forums App.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
There are some good examples in this thread.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
You can find a lot of nice vintage Boonton melamine on ebay. I recently bought some for when I finish the restore of my 1953 Cruiser. However, in the Argosy this is year three of camping for us and I enjoy ceramic stlye dishes. Yes they are breakable but we put them in foam packing sleeves after each use. It takes no time at all to slip then in and out. 15k miles so far and no breakage. Plus they dont blow away when eating outside.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
We bought some dishes, square melamine but in white at Ikea, until we can spend the dough on what we (I) really want. I would think twice about microwaving melamine, especially the vintage stuff. Maybe use the other stuff for the MW and then transfer to the dishes.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Don't microwave the melamine!

...there is tons of fun stuff out there that is vintage. Be sure to shop Etsy.com too! Especially good for finding individual pieces. I found our set at an antique mall and another set almost identical just a few weeks later at a so called antique store that was really a glorified garage sale. I lucked out and got great pricing. I do think there is a bit of luck of being at the right place at the right time. The hunt is part of the fun :-)
oh2bcarefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
I agree and I love hunting in antique stores, my problem is taking the kids along...lol...im always scared of the bill ill recieve if something breaks....so I dont get in them as often as I'd like.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Sounds like you know what the choices are.

It is rare for Corelle to break. I use it and am not concerned.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
The designer Thomas Paul makes some gorgeous melamine dishes. Pricey to be sure, but just awesome looking. As with the rest of it, though, probably not microwave-safe.

Also, here's an interesting thing that might be worthwhile to take a look at: CB2's 'BBF' Dinnerware. It's made from bamboo, and though it says it's disposable, it's also "dishwasher safe", so it sounds like it could last a while. I imagine that the main material (wood—grass actually) is microwavable, but no idea abou the coating.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #18

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I just order 2 sets of Foldtuk. One set for me and one for my Mothers new 22' Born Free. I bought them on eBay and save $30 over retail and shipping. Plus they already shipped them and will be home waiting for me! I will buy the square if I like the way they work. Thanks for the tip.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Sounds like you know what the choices are.

It is rare for Corelle to break. I use it and am not concerned.
Safety Tips on Corelle: It is composed of 3 layers of glass of slightly different composition. When it cools on the line, the outside layers end up in lots of tension. Thats why Corelle will essentially explode if you manage to break one. But it takes a lot to get one to go off. Watch for deep scratches in your Corelle, they're more delicate then. I used a glass cutter to carve a square around defects in Corelle to thin section at my first job, in Corning Glass Works. Corning never knowingly let a second out of the factory, there were folks whose job was to break any second found on the line, dropping them into the "cave".

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I figure that our Airstream is always a good justification for hunting around thrift stores, garage sales and ebay. When I cleaned out my mom's place, I saved her set of Corningware that she got as a wedding gift in 1959, as well as some other cool, Airstream appropriate stuff. No wonder trailers end up weighing lots more than their "dry weight", once you get them on the road!