Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
I just got red melamine dishes from Target fro Christmas and love them. I was there this weekend and now they are on sale! They have several styles to choose from but here's what I got.

I've been looking for a year and really like these and they were pretty cheap!
These dishes look really good. I have my reservations about melamine. I read somewhere that they are made with Formaldehyde and that over time melamine can leach into your food. Also, it can off gas especially when hot. I don't know if this is true, but I am not buying any, or any other plastic dishes until I find out for sure that they are safe. We are using bamboo disposables now, after the vibration in the TT destroyed our stoneware and glasses. I am thinking of going to tempered glass and putting a thick towel between each dish and glass. I only carry four of each.

Any ideas or experience that could help me make a decision? I don't have a microwave so I don't need something that will get heated up beyond the temperature of the food. I do boon dock in some primitive places, and subject the TT and it's contents to a lot of vibration and bouncing around.

I am sure someone out there will solve my problem.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have had the same Corelle dishes since our first RV 11 years ago.

Never have had a piece broken, and we store it upright in a lower cabinet, in one of those rubberized dividers/storers for lids, I believe.

I know of one person whose Corelle flew out of his cabinet while towing, and smashed to smithereens. I think that is the exception rather than the rule. We have dropped a plate or bowl many times, never broke one. If your dishes and cabinet doors are well-secured, this should not be a problem.

This is not the fanciest or most glamorous, but what you want is something relatively pleasing to look at and most of all----functional, lightweight and durable for the road.

Inexpensive at walmart, and the stores at the outlet malls have lots of companion pieces.

Maggie
Old 03-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #23
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post
These dishes look really good. I have my reservations about melamine. I read somewhere that they are made with Formaldehyde and that over time melamine can leach into your food.
Melamine is made using a thermoset resin that does contain formaldehyde. Like nearly all plastics, the feedstocks used in manufacture are more toxic than the end product once polymerization is complete. The residual formaldehyde is tightly bound into the final product and there isn't much outgassing. Melamine is also used in laminate countertops (Formica, etc) among other products.

I would imagine that over time some melamine would leach into the food served on it but not to any greater degree than other plastics.

Quote:
Any ideas or experience that could help me make a decision? I don't have a microwave so I don't need something that will get heated up beyond the temperature of the food. I do boon dock in some primitive places, and subject the TT and it's contents to a lot of vibration and bouncing around.

I am sure someone out there will solve my problem.
I have Corelle in my trailer and Melamine in my pickup camper. They both are suitable for their respective situations.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

Melamine is made using a thermoset resin that does contain formaldehyde. Like nearly all plastics, the feedstocks used in manufacture are more toxic than the end product once polymerization is complete. The residual formaldehyde is tightly bound into the final product and there isn't much outgassing. Melamine is also used in laminate countertops (Formica, etc) among other products.

I would imagine that over time some melamine would leach into the food served on it but not to any greater degree than other plastics.

I have Corelle in my trailer and Melamine in my pickup camper. They both are suitable for their respective situations.
Thanks for your knowledgable reply. What do you think of enamelware? It is steel with enamel backed on at very high temperatures. It seems unbreakable and good looking too. Are there any bad things in it we should be aware of? It sounds like what we are looking for. Because of the metal core I am sure it won't go in a microwave oven, but this is for the AS only, and we don't have one in it.

http://kolorfulkitchen.com/Crow-Cany..._29/index.html
Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #25
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have used enamelware at various times. It works great for some things -- I used an enamelware coffee pot in my stick house for many years and still have a smaller one in my trailer.

There are two main problems with enamelware. The first is that it is fairly fragile. While the pieces will not shatter, the finish will chip off in large chunks if they are dropped or abused. It wears out with regular use because it isn't especially resistant to abrasion or strong cleaners, and after the top layer of the coating wears off it becomes porous and prone to stains.

The second problem is that it conducts heat. That makes it hard to sip hot beverages from an enamelware cup (though with practice you can learn the sort of special technique required), and it means that hot foods don't stay hot very long.

The quality of enamelware sold new today isn't as good as older pieces I've used from the 1930s.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I have used enamelware at various times. It works great for some things -- I used an enamelware coffee pot in my stick house for many years and still have a smaller one in my trailer.

There are two main problems with enamelware. The first is that it is fairly fragile. While the pieces will not shatter, the finish will chip off in large chunks if they are dropped or abused. It wears out with regular use because it isn't especially resistant to abrasion or strong cleaners, and after the top layer of the coating wears off it becomes porous and prone to stains.

The second problem is that it conducts heat. That makes it hard to sip hot beverages from an enamelware cup (though with practice you can learn the sort of special technique required), and it means that hot foods don't stay hot very long.

The quality of enamelware sold new today isn't as good as older pieces I've used from the 1930s.
Good input, thank you. Yes, I remember my grand parents had enamelware and it seemed heavy and bulletproof to me. There is a company in CA called Crow Canyon Home, and a friend who lives nearby told me they make good stuff. I will be out there in May and might just go by and see the showroom and find out their story. I really like the idea that there is no plastic in enamelware, I don't worry about dropping things ( I'm not THAT old yet), and usually wash dishes with just a sponge, and use detergent only when the plate is greasy. My pots and pans are all enameled cast iron, so I am somewhat familiar with its care and feeding, and I really like the performance of my kitchenware. If the quality is good, I think enamelware might suit me to a tee. In the meantime I will just use the bamboo plates and bowls I bought cheap. Since I had to buy 100 of each, I have a lifetime supply.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:01 AM   #27
Trying to make memories.

1976 27' Overlander
kiln , Mississippi
I recently took my first trip in my AS. I didn't have time to look for a cute dinnerware set so I opted for paper and plastic. I am sure glad I did because we cooked every meal. I can't imagine washing all those dishes.

We use the dishwasher almost 2x a day. My kids load and unload but rarely wash a dish.... I don't need them to start in the AS.
vchatelain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
We buy our enamelware from a manufacturer in the UK, Falcon Enamel. Heavy duty, no chipping and virtually bullet-proof.

If you like enamel, and we do despite the heat issues (I think it's also a sentimental thing), then these dishes are as good as it gets. I avoid plastic wherever possible for both health and environmental reasons.

andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Got the red baskets and paper liners like they served burgers and fries in? Camping World and probably many other places...

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote