Old 09-12-2015, 07:18 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
I am afraid of sharks, alligators, and the people at Walmart. Hold me!
i am a people of walmart. BOO!

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
Hi PammieSue,

I seem to recall that the Wonderbag can use up to an 8 or 9 quart pot no legs. I found it somewhere in a book or website but can't locate it now. The low end is 2 quarts I believe.

I use a flat bottomed cast iron dutch oven. I have used 2, 5 and 6 quarts. These are the biggest ones that i have. Those fit well.

The Wonderbag works well. I use mine as a pillow when not in use cooking.

It can also be used to keep already cold food cold for a while.

Katy
I'm surprised that they don't hold 12 qt pots, I had imagined the families in Africa to be large, especially if they are cooking for neighbors or extended family. My cast iron dutch oven is large because I was a Girl Scout Leader and an Asst Scoutmaster and my family consisted of the six of us with the three boys eating as much as their Daddy. Mine also has legs for cooking over coals outdoors so it won't do. I'm not sure why my boyfriend's cast iron pot is so large, I should ask him sometime. I'm glad to hear the WonderBag works so well. Thank you for answering my questions!

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
Old 09-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Its a good philosophy PammieSue, and the principle of exposure building resistance is sound and proven, and our ancestors did survive. However that also means the bugs that now survive (i.e. are not killed off by our natural immunity) are also getting stronger.

To me a wonderbag cooked meal is no more 'dangerous' than eating day old stew that has been sitting on a stove top after the heat has been removed.....I wouldn't eat that either, many would, that is their decision
Day Old?! It's a good thing my practice is to put food away after I have served it; I'm not germ paranoid, but I'm not stupid either, ROFL!

My husband, (permanently separated from), once reheated a lasagna, ate some, and then forgot and left the rest in the oven for THREE DAYS. What did he do when he found it? He ate it. Did it kill him? No. Only the good die young.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
There is a significant difference between a slow cooker and a wonderbag. The first brings the food to temperature and holds a temp during cooking. The bag just slows the rate of cooling to give the food time to cook, but also any bugs present to grow. They aren't the same.

I have no issue if folks think otherwise, or understand the difference but still use them. However it is obvious some folks don't consider the difference and treat them as the same.

As I have said, the issue for me isn't the ability to cook the food; that is clear and proven (although bringing a pot to the boil and then removing and wrapping in some towels would retain enough heat to do that, of course it wouldn't have a 'cool' name and get folks to buy a new gadget). The issue is that as they cool, they cook at a temperature below that which bugs can grow, if people understand that and manage it then fine.
Yes, you are right, they are two different methods of cooking. My guess is that any good cook using sound clean preparation and cooking practices in her kitchen can make the WonderBag work without detriment to herself and those she feeds if she follows all the directions.

The most important direction I will give for the WonderBag, will be equally important for the crock pot. DON'T REMOVE THE LID until the end of the cooking process and you are sitting down to eat.

I took a food handling course for my card in order to work as Outpost Director one year during Boy Scout summer camp. I passed the test easily. I remember thinking the whole time, what woman who cooks doesn't know this information?

Old 09-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Influenced easily? I am. What a great idea to have a meal in the works as you travel, especially if you are attending a function/gathering soon after your arrival and need something in hand. Ordered the 12V crockpot last night and will give it a test run at the end of the month. Because we have a '77 Overlander we have 3 cigarette lighters in our trailer, including one by the toilet of all places! We replaced the mechanisms with new, mostly for nostalgia and so we could use a cell phone car charger in a pinch. I'll have plenty of cleaning products on hand, just in case. This should be interesting....
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Let us know how it works!

Old 09-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
I'm looking for a substitute for my West Bend crock/fondue pot that runs on 200 watts and generally cooks faster than I want. All of the suggestions mentioned on this thread use around 1200 watts, too much for the AS system.

My problem with my current pot is that it is separate from the heating base, and it won't work with 12 v. The other problem is stability and safety during transport. I would like to be able to put food in the pot and have it ready when I arrive, as some describe.

Jer
Old 09-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Hot Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
Ive thought about the 12 volt crockpots that plug right into the cigarette lighter and having it in a cardboard box or bucket in the tow vehicle. These seem to use less power. You can put the food in it frozen and by the time you get to your destination its ready...Like this one:
12-Volt Slow Cooker - Crock Pot at RoadTrucker.com
LilNomad
I don't want hot stew spewed on me if I have an accident. I would rather that the crock pot is in the trailer. Is there such an arrangement?

Jer
Old 09-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddledipper View Post
Because we have a '77 Overlander we have 3 cigarette lighters in our trailer, including one by the toilet of all places!
Just as a point of interest, the 12 volt outlet in the 70's Airstreams and Argosy's was there for 12 volt electric razors that could be bought in those days. How the world changes.... I am getting too old, I know these things...LOL
Old 09-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Just as a point of interest, the 12 volt outlet in the 70's Airstreams and Argosy's was there for 12 volt electric razors that could be bought in those days. How the world changes.... I am getting too old, I know these things...LOL
My Streamline has a lighter socket that, by it's placement, was clearly positioned so you could light up while sitting on the throne. Klassy!
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post

Makes sense! I thought it was so that when Mom was having a much needed time out from camping and kids she wouldn't have to leave the bathroom for a light to sneak a smoke. Or what Ericpeliter said... 😛

1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote