Old 09-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
NPR Car Talk had that topic of discussion a number of years ago. It's kind of what I was thinking when I first started reading this thread. I think I tried some canned food many years ago; not a good experience. But the reviews say it's a good read.

I'm sure any food in aluminum foil would have a distinct hot engine grease aroma. I'll stick with the microwave to reheat food I cooked before we left the last CG.
I posted that link as a joke. When I first heard of auto manifold cooking, I thought it was the wackiest thing yet.

I'm sure it created the spin-off, Hotel Room Iron, Hair Dryer, and Coffee Maker Cooking.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
.... I don't have anything against saving a bit of money, but most hotels have a bar fridge. I just head to the local grocery store and stock it with yogurt, fruit, some cooked chicken, salad fixings etc. While in LA recently, loved the take-out salad bar at Ralph's!! Greens, shrimp, salmon....wow! Wish our supermarkets carried same.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I posted that link as a joke. When I first heard of auto manifold cooking, I thought it was the wackiest thing yet.
Not that wacky. I seem to recall hearing about soldiers who would heat MREs on Hum-Vee engine manifolds before the MREs started coming with heat packs.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Check out a " Can Cooker" I have used many times. I have the small version and serves 6-8. Takes about 30-45 minutes from heat to table. It is a glorified pressure cooker and can be used on stove, grill or camp fire. I carry a small electric hot plate I got at Aldi for $10.00 for the heat source.
I like to do a "boil" in it.

mike
Old 09-07-2015, 02:54 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
What about something like this? A thermal cooker...

http://www.saratogajacks.com/faqs.htm

I'm no expert on them, but I'm intrigued by the option. Would be great for boondocking, presumably, too. I can't get onboard with the idea of leaving it plugged in back there (and I'll leave it plugged in at home without worry), bouncing around. I also lobby aggressively against using a towel to stabilize in the sink, if you do it. Definite fire hazard.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
And there is always Roy's Car-B-Q invention on "Wings".

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:14 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I love the idea and that is pretty low power so your solar panels should catch most of the load and your truck picking up the rest. Sure sounds better that cooking on your engine😉
Old 09-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
I've forgotten which forums member should get the credit, but you might check this link I copied from a recent post. It looks like it might be your solution. Cooks the food with residual heat retained by good insulation. Just get the food boiling well on the stove top, put it in the insulated bag, turn everything off, and go. No additional energy needed to cause a potential problem.

Home page

It's really wonderbagworld.com
I saw one in action - they DO work! another DUH moment. Cook in your lobster bowl sink
Old 09-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #23
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Interesting! Anybody have experience using this? ‘Tho, I sure love winter camping smelling dinner being prepared in the crockpot throughout the day...
No experience, but a quick internet search finds some interesting reviews...

Wonderbag Portable Slow Cooker » The Worst Things For Sale
Old 09-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
There's actually a thread on the wonderbag just down the page.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Torrance , California
Had a copy of Manifold Destiny years ago- never made a meal on the engine though I always wanted to....

Now have another copy for a few years (or I found the old one??), still have not tried it....got me thinking though!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not that wacky. I seem to recall hearing about soldiers who would heat MREs on Hum-Vee engine manifolds before the MREs started coming with heat packs.
Many years ( a lifetime) ago when I was 19 and stationed in Germany we were out on maneuvers in mid-winter. Our 5-ton parts truck had an M-114 (armored personnel carrier) heater mounted on the plywood front wall. I had it cranked it up to full and had the only coffee in camp that first morning and I was warm to boot.

I heard a knock on the back canvas and when I looked out I was facing a bird Colonel. "We heard you had some coffee in there" he said. Before long I had another Colonel, a major and several captains crammed in there with me, waiting for the aluminum pot to get hot.

I could also heat the canned food I brought from the PX but I didn't tell them that

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
As Protagonist points out, the Crock Pot was invented as a substitute for the Pressure Cooker. Almost any Crock Pot recipe will work in a Pressure Cooker and vice-versa. Just the times are different - hours for the Crock Pot and minutes for the Pressure Cooker. Most things cook in 3 -10 minutes; even a big ole Pot Roast cooks in 45. Plus a Crock pot is either in use as a Crock Pot or dead weight that takes up space. A Pressure Cooker, on the other hand, can be used as such or as just a plain old pot. Oh yes, it's great for boondocking where a Crock Pot is useless.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
I've forgotten which forums member should get the credit, but you might check this link I copied from a recent post. It looks like it might be your solution. Cooks the food with residual heat retained by good insulation. Just get the food boiling well on the stove top, put it in the insulated bag, turn everything off, and go. No additional energy needed to cause a potential problem.

Home page

It's really wonderbagworld.com
This looks great, but where is the link to order it? I checked page after page and could not find it.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote