Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2007, 07:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Alright everyone ....enough puns on this thread.

Pot Smoker...Florist Fire

Thank you and good night!

I have smoked many foods in this particular unit. (Chickens, Briskets, Pork Shoulders, Ribs, Jalapenos, Cornish Hens, Salmon steaks, Venison, etc). It works very well, and just add new wood chunks when the smoking stops.

Steve
Old 08-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #22
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Crack Pots

It really is a great idea.
Can't wait to build one myself...
As soon as I dig up the parts....whew...had to get one more planted
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Yup,

He even did the camera for REM's "The one I love".

Steve
Didn’t know that. I’ll have to watch it again now.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #24
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Did you make sure your pottery was lead free? When heated lead can vaporize at cooking temps.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:50 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Its an unglazed terra cotta pot from any hardware or garden supply store.From what I have read, it is the paint and glaze that has the lead in it.

Steve
Old 08-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #26
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Terra Cotta Potted Meat

How about some photos of your invention fired up ?
And food samples too.
I kinda like a glaze on my BBQ...

I've got to put this thread on my ignore list!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Denham Springs , Louisiana
Where does one find the burner? Is that a timer switch in the black box?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #28

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I have also read the lead is in the glaze. Plus the temps are not that high in a smoker, it's low and steady.

This is a project that has been on my to-do list since I saw the show (hey, doesn't he build that thing and set it up right next to his Airstream?). I think I might go looking for a pot today!

But where do you get big hardwood chunks like that?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Talking Pot Smoking......a "how to" lesson

Since Klattu asked for some pictures of the rig in action I decided to oblige by smoking a chicken today. I better not see anyone doing anything illegal out there!

Step 1: Assemble your hardware. I used Hickory today, but have used other woods in the past. Unless you smoke something for six hours or more, you will not be able to tell the difference in the smoke flavor between woods.

Step 2: Brining the bird. I usually brine the bird for 24 hours before smoking. Two gallon zip tops work great for this. This brine was water, salt, brown sugar, honey, molasses, red chili flake, black peppercorns, and whole coriander seeds. This pumps the chicken cells up with moisture, and carries flavors into the bird.

Step 3: Drain chicken from brine and move to the grill grate for your smoker. Pat dry with a paper towel.

Step 4: Assemble your smoker and add a liberal amount of wood chunks to a heavy duty pan or pot. Do not have the hot plate plugged in yet.

Step 5: Place a probe thermometer into the deepest part of the breast meat. Set the alarm on the thermometer to go off at 160 degrees. I added some jalapeños to turn them into chipotle peppers through the smoking and cooking process.

Step 6: Smoke the bird. Place the lid on and plug the hot plate in. Within a few minutes you should begin to see and smell smoke. Notice the temperature in the picture is about 210. You always want to keep the temperature at 210-210 F. Since it was 100 degrees today it went above 220 a few times. I place a fan in front of the rig and turn it on low. This usually whisks enough heat away to keep a constant 210-220.

Step 7: Retrieval and Rest. When the thermometer alarm sounds, unplug the hotplate, and remove the lid (careful...it's hot). Using bbq gloves or two pairs of tongs, remove the chicken to a plate or metal bowl and cover loosely with foil. Do not remove the probe thermometer as it will spew for wonderful juices and dry the bird out. Let the bird rest under foil for 10 minutes. Carve, serve, and enjoy.

Steve
Old 08-13-2007, 10:26 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Damn, that looks good. Maybe I'll have to break out a chicken (or better yet, a turkey breast) and smoke me up some goodies this week. BTW, my Big Green Egg is the best thing I have ever bought. I looked at doing the clay pot smoker, but decided that here at the 8000 ft level in Colorado, such a smoker would be seasonal at best. My Egg smokes for as long at 26 hours on a load of charcoal at 220 degrees and performs just as well at -10 in January.

As long as you have your favorite smoking method down, just sit back and enjoy the fun. I might have to make one of the clay pot smokers just for the fun of it!
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
While the Big Green Egg can be used as a total package cooker, my rig is completely used for smoking. Since there is no fire or charcoal involved, would the elevation have that much effect on it? The hot plate heats the pan up which causes the wood to smoke, but it doesn't combust which would lead to nasty tasting particulate matter on the food (Ash, creosote, pitch, etc).

110 Volts and some chips make this a dandy of a rig without, "Breaking some Eggs".

Steve
Old 08-13-2007, 11:28 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog1
Does anyone else out there in Airforum's land have a Cookshack Smoker?

A wonderful electric smoker that does a bang up job...

I have had mine for about 5 years now and love it...

They also have a great forums like we do here, with lots of recipes and
other goodies...here is a link...

Cookshack - Barbecue Smokers | Barbeque Smokers | BBQ Pits

And a pic of the unit that I have...

Just thought I would share this with you guys ang gals!

G
I have owned one of their all stainless steel models for about 7 years now. I absolutely love it.
I have the cold smoker plate for it too. Although it is not the easiest to use for cold smoking it does do some great prime rib!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:44 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Quote:
While the Big Green Egg can be used as a total package cooker, my rig is completely used for smoking. Since there is no fire or charcoal involved, would the elevation have that much effect on it? The hot plate heats the pan up which causes the wood to smoke, but it doesn't combust which would lead to nasty tasting particulate matter on the food (Ash, creosote, pitch, etc).

110 Volts and some chips make this a dandy of a rig without, "Breaking some Eggs".

Steve
One thing I like to do is to soak my wood for 24 hours or more. I take it right from the water to the pan. This makes it last longer and you get more smoke out of it.
I also smoke my chickens using a water smoker. Place a pan of water between the heat source and the chicken and fill it with water. This keeps poultry from drying out.
Try substituting half of the water in your brine with apple juice too.
There are a ton of different things you can do with the brine recipe.
I also like to "pump" the bird using a cajun injector. Pump the brine right into the meaty parts of the bird, between the skin and the meat. Do not puncture the skin or it will defeat the purpose of pumping the bird up.
I also like to make sure to use only non-iodized salt. It is just something that my grandpa passed on to me when I started brining and smoking when I was a wee little one.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:48 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Lou,

Not all the brines I use are the same. This one I used water, but others I have used orange juice, vegetable stock, or other liquids depending on the desired flavor.

In my kitchen, I only have Kosher salt and pickling salt. I have not used iodized salt for anything in several years.

Do to the size and nature of this smoker, a water pan will not work. This is why I always brine the chicken. The water is in the bird and will not dry out. The wood chunks are dry in this application because we are not using a high heat source like gas or charcoal, and not using open flame combustion. The chunks burn slow and give off a pretty good smoke amount.

I have heard of using the injectors, but would be afraid to put holes in the chicken that the juices may run out of.

Now I am hungry...time for breakfast.

Steve
Old 08-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #35
Riviting Espresso

1978 25' Caravanner
Boca Raton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ColdEspresso Send a message via Yahoo to ColdEspresso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
my Big Green Egg is the best thing I have ever bought. I looked at doing the clay pot smoker, but decided that here at the 8000 ft level in Colorado, such a smoker would be seasonal at best. My Egg smokes for as long at 26 hours on a load of charcoal at 220 degrees and performs just as well at -10 in January.
I will have to say that my Large Big Green Egg is the best smoker I have ever used. I am considering a small BGE for those trips in the AS when I need my "Q" fix.
1978 Caravanner
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2009 VW Sportwagen TDi
Rancilio Espresso Machine w/ Rocky Grinder
ColdEspresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #36
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Allow me to introduce my little friend, the Lev-U-Lator. MAde from left over type L copper pipe, aluminum foil. Heat maintains at 300 deg. 30 slabs of perfectly smoked ribs in 10 hours.

Jonathan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	view1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	43237  
Old 08-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #37
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Smokey Joes

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
30 slabs of perfectly smoked ribs in 10 hours.

Jonathan
We want to taste the proof !
Old 08-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Since Klattu asked for some pictures of the rig in action I decided to oblige by smoking a chicken today. I better not see anyone doing anything illegal out there!

Step 1: Assemble your hardware. I used Hickory today, but have used other woods in the past. Unless you smoke something for six hours or more, you will not be able to tell the difference in the smoke flavor between woods.

Step 2: Brining the bird. I usually brine the bird for 24 hours before smoking. Two gallon zip tops work great for this. This brine was water, salt, brown sugar, honey, molasses, red chili flake, black peppercorns, and whole coriander seeds. This pumps the chicken cells up with moisture, and carries flavors into the bird.

Step 3: Drain chicken from brine and move to the grill grate for your smoker. Pat dry with a paper towel.

Step 4: Assemble your smoker and add a liberal amount of wood chunks to a heavy duty pan or pot. Do not have the hot plate plugged in yet.

Step 5: Place a probe thermometer into the deepest part of the breast meat. Set the alarm on the thermometer to go off at 160 degrees. I added some jalapeños to turn them into chipotle peppers through the smoking and cooking process.

Step 6: Smoke the bird. Place the lid on and plug the hot plate in. Within a few minutes you should begin to see and smell smoke. Notice the temperature in the picture is about 210. You always want to keep the temperature at 210-210 F. Since it was 100 degrees today it went above 220 a few times. I place a fan in front of the rig and turn it on low. This usually whisks enough heat away to keep a constant 210-220.

Step 7: Retrieval and Rest. When the thermometer alarm sounds, unplug the hotplate, and remove the lid (careful...it's hot). Using bbq gloves or two pairs of tongs, remove the chicken to a plate or metal bowl and cover loosely with foil. Do not remove the probe thermometer as it will spew for wonderful juices and dry the bird out. Let the bird rest under foil for 10 minutes. Carve, serve, and enjoy.

Steve
OK...my mouth is watering...WOW that looks great...can't wait for that pulled pork in Branson!!!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote