Old 03-06-2008, 11:34 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
All Clad.

Cooking is a pleasure that I especially enjoy when camping. Using good pots is part of the package. I used to live in Pittsburgh and the All-clad factory was nearby. Once a year they had a factory seconds sale with practically free prices. They just closed down production for a day and sell stuff on the factory floor - it was like the worlds best tag sale.

The first year I went I was dismayed to discover they only took cash but was amazed that every chef in the area was there standing in line waiting for the sale to open. Many brought their own shopping carts. I had about 20 bucks in my pocket and walked away with 3 pots.

The next year I went back with moola and a wagon. For not too much money I got a lifetime supply if great cookware.
I love All-Clad. It's the best cookware made. After I bought my first All Clad pan I was hooked and replaced all of my older stuff. I have a huge collection of Calphalon which is now sitting in boxes in my garage.

I don't want to use All Clad in the A/S though. Weight and storage are my main concerns. That's why I bought a stainless set that nests.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:12 AM   #44
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
I don't want to use All Clad in the A/S though. Weight and storage are my main concerns. That's why I bought a stainless set that nests.
It makes sense - but I don't pack many.

A 1 qt sauce pan, 10 " fry pan and a smallish stock pot

That's all I really need.

Last year i used the stock pot as an ice bucket, fish sink, nut cracker, fennel seed crusher and quiche pan.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
I pack minimally too. I have a 8 or 10 inch well-used cast iron skillet, a cheap aluminum 1 qt pan, and a small cookie sheet, just in case. Earlier in this thread (2004, I think) someone mentioned an item they use for pot-lucks. I've struggled with that in the past, because my camper items are generally useful, not pretty and I like to take cold items on hot days but worried about spoilage and making someone sick. So, I recently purchased a Pampered Chef Chillzanne bowl. I'll keep it in the freezer (we can store a zip lock bag of ice cubes in it, to save space) and I'll have it to use at the Rally pitch-ins. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

The PO carried and often used a crock pot and bread maker. My family doesn't like to eat hot stuff on hot summer days but enjoys cooking at the campfire in the evenings. I'm going to try out the taking the crock pot or a small pressure cooker on cool weekends, though.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:19 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
It makes sense - snip - Last year i used the stock pot as an ice bucket, fish sink, nut cracker, fennel seed crusher and quiche pan.
LOL - fennel seed crusher - I like that one!

When I designed our kitchen, I designed 2 drawers under the cooktop for the All Clad. The lower drawer (out of view in the picture) is deeper for stock pots, pasta pentola etc. The upper is shallow - but - I also put a thin drawer inside the upper drawer for the lids. It works great since lids are always a major PITA to deal with!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all clad.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	55671  
Old 03-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_RedSHED
snip... I like to take cold items on hot days but worried about spoilage and making someone sick. So, I recently purchased a Pampered Chef Chillzanne bowl. I'll keep it in the freezer (we can store a zip lock bag of ice cubes in it, to save space) and I'll have it to use at the Rally pitch-ins. I'm looking forward to trying it out... snip
This is a little off topic for a pots 'n pans thread but since you mentioned cold food spoilage, here's a nice "hot day" salad recipe. My mother came by the recipe while spending the winters in New Smyrna Beach Florida.

The high sugar and acid (vinegar) dressing is a little less susceptible to spoilage - and the slaw is delicious! We tend to not make it as sweet by cutting the sugar back to 1/4 cup. Bagged cole slaw mix works great with this recipe too.

New Smyrna Cole Slaw

1 large head cabbage, finely shredded
1 small carrot, finely shredded
1/4 cup oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 cup sugar (or 10 packets artificial sweetener)
salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder to taste

Shred cabbage and carrots. Add oil, vinegar and sugar. Mix well. Add salt pepper and garlic powder to taste. Mix again. Chill for a few hours to blend flavors.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I have been very happy with the Cuisinart 8 pc SS set for $88 from CW. They are the same quality as the at home set,but have detachable handles and nest inside each other. A good price for great quality. I also have the 4qt SS presto pressure cooker with the optional straining lid (great for pasta). Some small bakeware for rv ovens also from CW finish to finish off. Seems to work well for us. 'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:26 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
reconsidering...

Well - since I'll be getting the A/S in a few weeks I've been working on getting all of the necessary things to stock it. I've had the Rapid Chef pots and pans for a while and I pulled them out today to look at them again. I posted a picture on #37.

After looking at them I've decided that the whole set is just too heavy and there are way more pieces than I need or will use. Hello eBay.

I have a little pan that I use almost daily. It's a real favorite. It's the Krona/Norpro Multi-pot and it's on Amazon Amazon.com: Krona 8-Cup Multi Pot with Straining Lid: Kitchen & Dining for $25. I found one on eBay for around $8 - brand new in the box! There's a pic below.

They also have a really nice all purpose pan they call the Everyday Pot (which can double as a braiser, skillet etc. These two pans and a small stock pot is all I think I'll need.

When Janet posted that she only use 3 pans it got me to thinking...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	krona.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	56522  
Old 03-18-2008, 11:35 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
another pan...

Here's the other cool Krona/Norpro pan. They call it the Everyday pan. Also available on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	krona2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	56523  
Old 03-18-2008, 11:49 PM   #51
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
That looks like a great pot. What do you think about the glass lid?

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:57 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
That looks like a great pot. What do you think about the glass lid?
The glass lids that I have on a couple of other pots that I use at home seem to be pretty tough. As long as it's protected in transit it should be OK. Some of the Krona/Norpro pans also have S/S lids.