Old 02-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialma
Hi Jimandrod,

You can find many of your answers under appliances and various other posts. I have always found that, if I had a question about the refrigerator, stove oven etc.....I can get the answers I need.

I guess I have camped for so long that I am set in my ways regarding what food/recipes appeal to me. I would prefer to see that we stick to what the forum is intended for....Airstreams and how they work, can be repaired etc....

Please take no offense.....just my preference.
No offense taken... but some of us are "foodies" without as much experience with RVs

Old 02-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Jimandrod........sometimes I wish I had your newer kitchen. Mine was invented before microwaves. It's always a good reminder to be forced to use an oven and remember to be patient.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #17
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
Thanks - you just proved my point. It shure would be nice to be able to find is these topics in one forum!!!
i don't think i proved any point...

except that the info is already there, if one LOOKS for it...

just read and bump one of those threads.

my observation is that these topics only appeal to a few folks (including me)

and only pop up sporadically...

like when someone asks about plates or pots or spam or starts a food/game thread...

the issue, apart from whether any of these is a/s specific....

is WHO will monitor/edit and clean up after the folks usings this subforum?

i think the mods are doing all they can to keep up with 'on topic' stuff and riffraff ...

while i agree the pet forum is a similar issue---IF it didn't already exist, it might not now?

and NOTHING in the pet forum is organized by heading, into subforms either....

all posts are just dumped in the pet pound, which is obvious and

would limit a 'culinary' subforum, since most would just end up posting in off topic.

so my suggestion is just start a thread on a given culinary issue, when it comes up...

or SEARCH and use the ones already started....

the older ones are very funny!

cheers
2air'

also the FORUM RALLY threads have LOTS of food info, pictures and so on...

and so far, NOONE has gotten the trots from rally food (i hope)

and here are 2 more to add to the above list...

tincanluv has these cool (or not) turquoise pots and dinnerware to match d' stove...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...pots-7840.html

and here is another poll...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...ide-11771.html

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I fully agree with Jimandrod's post #14 in which they state that 2air's listing of the many food/cooking/beverages/camping threads proves the appropriateness of a subforum in which all these postings could be gathered. Those of us who have been on the forum a while know that these topics return again and again. Having a subforum listing for these among other subforums on the home page would 1) simplify finding topics related to food interests as it pertains to 'streaming and 2) reduce the repetition of similar threads being begun without knowledge of previous postings. There is a continued interest in such topics among this forum's members. Come on! Please look at this again. I think the pet forum gives perfect precedence to this. The argument for the one serves as well for the other, especially since so many threads already exist which can form the foundation of the new subforum. If as 2air posts above, the mechanics of managing such a forum is burdening, then that's another matter, and perhaps enough reason to continue with things as they are currently. Just my thoughts. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ush-28925.html

Corn meal mush… now there’s a thread that deserves a home.

Having a pet forum is the perfect arguement. We should be able to discuss cooking a lamb just as easily as potty training one.

And we have so much to discuss… from coffee to prime rib roasts, think of all that might be missed if we don’t share galley tips & tricks.

em

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
So, should we also add:

Photograghers Forum?
Flyfisher Forum?
Harley Forum?
Canoe Forum?
Single Airstreamer Forum?

Where do we draw the line???

As far as the Pet Sub-Forum goes, it was added a long time ago. Since then, alternate topical forums have been reconsidered. If we knew then, what we know now...it may not exist here.

Sorry...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Not that it applies to everyone, but Amy and I started our own St. Louis metro area foodie forum.

STLFoodies
Old 02-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Shari, I understand perfectly if the administration of such subgroups is burdening when added to what already exists with this great forum. My point was that it seemed that such a grouping of already developed threads gave evidence of enough interest to justify this subgroup and that the subgroup might in turn reduce redundancy. So....we foodies, and canoeists and photographers and flyfishers will utilize the search function and life on the forum is good Thanks as always for all that you administrators and moderators do to maintain this forum and for your grace in listening when we members get carried away! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot
I, for one, would be interested in a thread about good food to cook in the Airstream for pot luck meals at rallies.......because we don't have a lot of storage space in the refrigerator and freezer.....or in the kitchen generally....I think we could have some fun with a cooking thread.....pj
A pot luck sub forum for sure would be "airstreamy"

Besides, it's about the community isn't it.....
Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
So, should we also add:

Photograghers Forum?
Flyfisher Forum?
Harley Forum?
Canoe Forum?
Single Airstreamer Forum?

Where do we draw the line???

Sorry...

Shari
Not all of us are photoraphers, not all of us are into fly fishing, not all of us own Harleys or go canoeing; but all of us eat and most of us cook!!!

I'm really sorry I started this thread. I didn't think it would turn into such a contentious issue. I also thought the moderators would be a little more open minded and receptive to a sub-group that could possibly appeal to many of the people here. There are so many sub forums here that interest a select few, yet you are not at all willing to consider something that may interest many participants here.

Thread #11 shows me that there are many questions and a lot of infomation related to food preparation in a trailer. It's too bad that they are scattered all over the place.

To those who think that we should search for anything that we want information about, I have one question - do you find it convenient to just browse an area that interests you and NOT have to research everyhing?

It's pretty obvious that that this is going to go nowhere. I have nothing more to say other than I doubt I'll start many more threads.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
I also thought the moderators would be a little more open minded and receptive to a sub-group that could possibly appeal to many of the people here. There are so many sub forums here that interest a select few, yet you are not at all willing to consider something that may interest many participants here.
That's not a fair assesment at all. Actually this topic has been discussed several times in the past, and is under discussion at this time. There is a very good cooking forum available which covers the same topics, and in more detail. Also, people already do discuss cooking topics in the off topic sub-forum, and no one has ever been discouraged from continuing to do so. But to encourage an entire subforum of cooking, when a sister forum exists that is devoted entirely to that topic, seems like it's muddying the purpose of the Airstream forum.

It's not a bad idea, just one that has already been examined in great detail and for a variety of good reasons is unlikely to be added at this time.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts

....There is a very good cooking forum available which covers the same topics, and in more detail.

It's not a bad idea, just one that has already been examined in great detail and for a variety of good reasons is unlikely to be added at this time.
So where is the food forum that covers the same topics? I couldn't find it here.

Like I said before, I'm sorry I started this thread. Since it obvious that the moderators have no desire to start a sub-forum no matter what any of the users here think, why dont you just delete this thread and not waste the space to store it on the server.

While you're at it please delete my account and username. I won't be posting here anymore.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #27
_

. , .
jimandrod...

no reason to mash sour grapes...

why not just use THIS thread for the culinary issues...

and see how long it runs and how much it grows.

i've had a few ideas for subforums,

and the approach i take is this...

-pm a mod with the idea
-they reply back "we mods will discuss it"
-in a few days another reply is received...
-"we've discussed it and decided NO..."

at least using this approach the rejection isn't public

Quote:
...It's too bad that they are scattered all over the place...
well it's NOT scattered all over the place now, is it? start using the theads and stop worrying about how they are packaged.

so how'bout a simple thank you for the links?

Quote:
...To those who think that we should search for anything that we want information about, I have one question - do you find it convenient to just browse an area that interests you and NOT have to research everyhing?...
it took less than 5 minutes to put that list together, much less time than might have been spent 'browsing' one sub forum.

sure one convenient place would be nice, but VERY LITTLE of the non-aluminum stuff here fits that description...

many useful posts on a specific topic are buried in member introductions, or off topic threads or frame-off rehabs or RALLY threads...

so to make your convenient place USEFUL,

someone would have to edit, move, organize and otherwise fiddle with posts...

and btw i'm IN FAVOR of an edibles sub forum...

we'd call it "spam and only spam, oh and also mush"

the word culinary might scare or confuse folks here, but we do like great hats!

cheers
2air'
Attached Images

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Jimandrod..........

Please.......no need to not post here.....no need to leave mad....We are all in the same community and some of our ideas are used while others are not.

Please....reconsider and stay with the comraderie of your fellow Airstreamers....I am sure you have lot's of good things to share.