Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Fairbanks , Alaska
White Chicken Chili

Here's a favorite of ours....

1 crushed garlic clove (more if you like garlic)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 chicken breast (cut up into bite size pieces)
2 cups chicken broth
2 tsp. cumin
1Tbls. lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon pepper
2 cans corn
4 oz diced green chiles
1 can white beans (undrained)
1 can garbonzo beans (undrained)
Sour cream
Shredded jalepeno cheese

Put chicken, broth, and all other ingredients in a pot. Except sour cream and cheese. Bring to a boil for 30 minutes. Scoop out into bowls and garnish with sour cream, and cheese. Make sure to pick up your favorite bread/or bake some. We like potato rolls from Fred's.
I usually double this recipe at home for left overs. Or if you have company.
My friends love it. We make it every year on Halloween for the parents and kids. It's our most requested meal. ENJOY!!!
Alaska1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
have you seen "sherri's cookbook"?

this should keep you busy!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...i%27s+cookbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonseca
Dear fellow campers,

I really like to cook and when I go camping with my family I really look forward to camp cooking. It's a lot more challenging than cooking at home, which is one reason why I like it. The other reason is that dining in the great outdoors is just, well, great! What's better than that first cup of coffee on a chilly morning or hot dogs cooked on sticks over a bonfire? Being that many of the recipes and cookbooks that I rely on at home don't really work in the tiny kitchen of a trailer I have spent some time searching for good camp cookbooks, dutch oven cookbooks or regular cookbooks filled with recipes that are useful in the narrow confines of a trailer kitchen. What are your favorites? I would love to add to my collection.

Thanks!
Heather
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:32 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Sherri's Cookbook

Not sure how I missed that thread, what a touching tribute. Cancer touches so many peoples lives. Our oldes daughter got us walking in the Susan G. Komen breast cancer walk for her dance teacher in school several years ago, its next month in Houston. Why is that thread closed? We would love to have a copy if it is still available so we can share as well.
Flint Family
Old 09-26-2007, 07:38 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
One Pot. Many Uses.

One pot many uses. The Wear-Ever Chicken Bucket may be worth adding to your Airstream cooking pots. First of all it is light and has many different uses for cooking from pasta to Pressure Frying Chicken. This thing is simple, and makes cooking easy and faster. It works great on a gas stove. A big plus also is that it matches your Airstream. We have even cooked pot roast in this thing by using it as a pressure cooker. Chicken fried steak, steamed vegetables, rice, French fries, and stew. But our favorite is the pressure friend chicken.

Start by picking up cut chicken pieces from your stop by Wal-Mart along your trip. We soak the chicken in water with salt, hot sauce, lemon juice, and Dale’s seasoning, along with anything you might like. Let it soak for at least an hour or up to 24 hours if you like. While it soaks heat the oil to 350. After the chicken has soaked long enough, take it out and pat it dry. From there dip it in an egg wash made of some milk mixed with an egg. Take the dipped chicken pieces and drop in seasoned flour to coat. The flour mix can be simple from flour with some salt and pepper, to other things added. We also add garlic powder, onion power, season salt, and some ground sage. Let the pieces sit for a few minutes to dry a bit, the repeat the dipping process. Drop them in the hot oil for a few minutes until the chicken coating starts to brown, place and lock the pressure lid in position, and bring to high pressure, turn the heat down low. After cooking for 12 minutes or so, remove from the heat, release the pressure, remove the lid, and take out your perfect chicken. Don’t try to cook too many pieces at onetime, I normally cook three to four pieces at once, depending on their size. It took me about 3 cooking runs to work out a method right for me. If cooking for a lot of people, slightly undercook the chicken, and place it in the oven to finish, while more batches are made. Do not try this with a standard pressure cooker it is not safe. The chicken bucket by Wear-Ever is designed for low pressure frying which locks in the flavor just like KFC. Serve with mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, and biscuits.

Nice thing about using something like this is it saves a lot of time. The results are really good, and it has multiple uses beyond the frying of chicken. These can be found on Ebay, but I suggest buying the 6-quart model over the 4 quart one. Keep in mind these pots are not safe if you do not follow the instructions. However if you have ever used a pressure cooker you know they are awesome, this is just an upgrade to those with a safety bar across the top. Our chicken bucket goes on trips with use and in time I will pick up another one to leave in the Airstream. We paid about $15.00 for ours in new condition. The seals can be replaced at many hardware stores. This is old school cooking, good food for your Airstream trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70875326_o.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	46076   Click image for larger version

Name:	70875348_o.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	46077  

Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
apolaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:39 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
My son found this Dutch Oven Delight on the net, works well in the oven also.

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
Recipe from Leonora Burton
8" Dutch Oven (doubling it works well in a 12" DO)
Serves 8

Bottom
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup melted butter
1-1/3 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa
1-1/4 cups hot water

In a bowl stir tog together 3/4 cup sugar, 1 cup all-purpose flour,
3 tablespoons cocoa, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon
salt. Stir in 1/2 cup milk, 1/3 cup melted butter, and 1-1/2 teaspoon
vanilla extract: beat until smooth. Pour batter into an ungreased
8" Duch Oven.

In the same bowl, stir together 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar,
and 4 tablespoons cocoa: Sprinkle evenly over batter. Pour 1- 1/4
cups hot water over the top; Do Not Stir!. Bake with 6 charcoal briquettes on the bottom and 12 on top for 35 - 40 minutes or until the center is almost set. Let it stand for 15 minutes. spoon into dessert bowls, spooning sauce from bottom of the Dutch Oven over the top. Garnish with Whipped topping if desired. Vanilla Ice Cream is to die for.

If your using a 12" DO (doubled the recipe) it is 10 briquttes under and 16 on top, same amount of time.
If your cooking in the oven 350 degrees.

The last time I cooked it (12" doubled) it still only served 8, but then again
nobody moved for at least an hour after eating it.

Enjoy!
Ted
davenpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:53 AM   #26
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Great thread thanks for all the fun recipes!

Has anyone tried the cookbook by the National Museum of Forest Service History called Camp Cooking 100 years? I just found it at the library and it looks good with dutch oven recipes and super vintage camping photos...
Old 09-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Do any of you love "loose meat" sandwiches, especially those found at Maid Rite franchises? Here is a close replication (found in "Top Secret Recipes") that our family loves. It freezes well, and is great to tuck into quart baggies to take along for quick lunches on your camping trips. Serve on warm buns with chopped onion, yellow mustard and dill pickle slices.

1 pound hamburger--while browning, stir and separate until the meat crumbs are as small as possible. A potato masher works well for this.
Pour off accumulated fat.
Add 1 cup water, 1/4 cup beef broth, and dash of salt when all the pink is gone from the meat. Stir occasionally.
Simmer the mixture uncovered for one hour until all the broth and beef flavor is absorbed by the meat.
Pile 1/2 cup firmly packed meat onto the warm bun, add on the onion, mustard, and dill pickle to taste and dig in. Messy and delicious!

Why spend an hour preparing only one pound's worth of sandwich? I quadruple this, start with four pounds of ground meat, 4 cups of water, and a full can of beef broth. This give us plenty to enjoy fresh and some to freeze for take-alongs. Best when garnished with fresh salt or mountain air, abundant sunshine, rustic picnic table surrounded by family and friends, swooping gulls or chattering birds, and lots of kids running around. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
More cookbooks

Hi Tin Sista,

I have also seen "Camp Cooking" on line and in a store. I wish my local library had one. I wonder if anyone else owns it and has cooked from it. It looks really good and last time I checked it out on Amazon it had gotten really good reviews. It helps that it's filled with vintage camping photos and it's got a cute (and practical) spiral wire binding.

Thanks for all the recipes everyone! Kevan's favorite fish dish looks good and really easy too. Does it make the trailer smell fishy when you make it though? I've never actually cooked fish on a camping trip before, though I make fish pretty frequently at home.

One of my favorite camping recipes is one for fish baked in foil with a sort of curried couscous base. I found the recipe in a cookbook is called "Campfire cuisine", and although the type is a little hard to read the recipes I've tried so far have all been great! You can check out the book and the recipe for the fish by clicking this hotlink;
Campfire Cuisine: Home

I'll post one of my own recipes here as soon as I have time! Thanks for all the great responses and keep them coming!

Heather
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Anyone tried this one. Looked for one used locally but may have to order it instead. thanks....

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
This has prob. already been answered ,Im always a day-late. IF U google up Dutch Ovens U will find receipes and a vareity of cookware available at modest cost.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Foil cooking is the best!

Oh Ganglin I love you!

Where ever did you find the foil cooking book? Home, camping, whatever, I love to cook in foil. (Otherwise I'm extremly environmentally conscious, I promise) I MUST check this one out on Amazon.

Heather

p.s. I know my spelling is awful. I do apologize.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #32
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Has anyone ever done this?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:24 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
i've never done it to cook but i have used the manifolds to heat up a few lunches. it tastes better if you use olive instead of 10-30 in the engine ;-)
Old 09-27-2007, 08:44 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
here is a link for sherri's cookbook. is is only good until oct. 3, 2007

YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement

Old 10-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Moncton , New Brunswick Canada
Thanksgiving, is celebrated this weekend in Canada, don't why different dates in bordering countries.

I cook from scratch, i.e. Cranberry sauce, stuffing, and fresh turkey only.

Anyone interested in exchanging recipes?
love vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Moncton , New Brunswick Canada
In regard to the fishy odour question... no, the lemon and garlic cut the smell.
love vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #37
Rivet Master

My new fav' cookbook...Over The Open Fire Pamela Alford & Johnny Nix
Johnny does the Campfire Cafe show on RFDtv, sells a set of over campfire spits, grates, Lodge castiron-ware
I know of one forums member that has the full meal deal of Johnny's...great food, almost bullet-proof recipes.
The Y' All Sa is excellent (a meal by itself)
Cooking Training Library
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Your local Boy Scouts of America shop has alot of outdoor/camping cookbooks as well.
I was at a Camporee last weekend and learned of aluminum pans & liners for your dutch oven. I could sure have used that advise a couple years back when I tried to cook in my new DO w/out seasoning it first. Can you say sandpaper & steel wool..."who needs directions? it's just a pot."
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:51 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Over the open fire

Hi Zamboni,

I've seen the book "over the open fire". It seems kind of big to fit into a camping trip though. Have you tried the recipes on the road?

I didn't know that the boy scouts has a store. Is it online or does it exist somewhere?

Heather
Old 10-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Thanksgiving recipe exchange

Hi love vingage,

Do you cook thanksgiving dinner in your airstream? That would be so cool! I would love to celebrate thanksgiving camping at a beautiful park somewhere. I wonder if the little oven in an airstream could do a whole turkey or if you would have to do just a breast, or one of those rolled breast creations that I see in magazines. I'm not cooking thanksgiving myself this year, I'm going to my mom's house. I cooked last year though.

Heather