Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
We have built in filtration at home and will probably use a Brita in the AS.
Several posts about using bottled water in new trailers. Don't the newer Airstreams have a filter built into them like the 71 does..?
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:50 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Several posts about using bottled water in new trailers. Don't the newer Airstreams have a filter built into them like the 71 does..?
I just looked at the list of features on the unit that we're ordering and I didn't see anything listed for a water filteration system.
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #123
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
Coffee-wise, we try to drink home-roasted. We get our green from the extraordinary Sweetmarias, whose site is also a coffee education itself:

Home Coffee Roasting Supplies -Sweet Maria's

Hand-grind using a Zassenhaus knee mill. (This is probably just craziness, but I still like doing it).

Filter thru hand-pour Melittas, one per cup.

Water is plain old Cincinnati's finest, allowed to stand open for 48 hours to get rid of the chlorine. Damn near cost-free, and cleaner than most of the bottled H2O out there - and they provide a full analysis!

jon
Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty's Dad
Coffee-wise, we try to drink home-roasted. We get our green from the extraordinary Sweetmarias, whose site is also a coffee education itself
jon
WOW!!! Now that's some hard-core coffee drinking! I'm genuinely impressed! Let me know where and when you camp. I want to park next door and come over for a cup!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #125
3 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
by golly, it is tasty! but very timeconsuming, since most home coffee roasters only do 4oz at a time.

unfortunately, home-roasting is highly addictive. i'm not so much attached to my coffee as enslaved by it...

jon
Old 03-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #126
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Good choice

Quote:
Well - It looks like I'm going to go with a Chemex. I'm tired of being overbid on eBay and watching Revereware coffee pots go for outrageous prices.

Now I just need to figure out if I want a regular one or a hand-blown one.
Either way you won't be disappointed. Just one small seam down the

side that ya can't hardly see. Keep the box it comes in, good for storage

and that long handle brush is handy for cleaning

Our 03 Classic has what I think is a PUR filter on the kitchen faucet.

We still use the Brita to filter all drinking water (bottled).

Great for coffee.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #127
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sequim , Washington
Home Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty's Dad
Coffee-wise, we try to drink home-roasted. We get our green from the extraordinary Sweetmarias, whose site is also a coffee education itself
Hey Jon,

Have recently discovered SweetMaria's and watched several YouTube home roasting demos.

Which roast method do you use?

Keep in touch...My pal, Blue, from Santa Barbara has a coffee farm on Kona. I've been getting his roasted version the past several years, but now I'll go Green.

Still using my Spong #2 conical burr grinder, but it's getting pretty old and eBay ops seem to have dried up. That Zassenhaus working well?

I've to say that I'm a water snob...Reverse Osmossis with carbon pre and post filters...source: Northwest Washington artesian well water from the Clallam Syncline...(psychiatric evaluation on request).

Chemex glass drip method. Have been carrying around the first Chemex I bought in Chicago in 1967. It has many more miles on it than any of the trucks I've worn out over the years.

Keep it hot in a very old style coffee mug (pre-heated) common in the 40's & 50's at the likes of the ChatterBox Cafe. I have to lift weights every day just to be able to pick it up...weight: 5 lbs...Also works well for beaning raccoons...I've got a fine raccoon pepper jerky recipe.

Final image: A/S under the oaks, Lake San Antonio (Hunter-Ligget), sipping a fresh-roasted cup of A/Stream-Roasted Kona, puffing on a Macanudo Prince Philip Maduro, chewing on a stick of Raccoon jerky....watching the sunrise...all in preparation for the new day and getting ready for breakfast!

DJ
Old 03-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #128
3 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
HI DJ Bassett,

I'm roasting with a Hearthware I-Roast2, which is a dedicated air roaster. Very very noisy, does about 4 oz at a time, fantastic results. Since I like to roast VERY light to try to preserve the acids and varietal character, this is a perfect roaster for me - quick and produces little smoke.

The drum roasters allegedly are better for darker roasts, take much larger batches, and may produce a lot of smoke due to larger batch size. Some folks do well with the old crank corn poppers, I'm told.

The Zassenhaus hand-grinder is for the insane only, though your mug preferences and propensity for raccoon-beaning may qualify you as a happy future owner. Takes about 1 minute for 2 cups of coffee's worth, using lots of elbow grease. On the plus side, it lasts forever and is waaaayyy quieter than electrics. Also good for boondocking.

I've been longing for a Chemex for decades. Have to invest in one of them. Holler at me if you take the plunge with Sweetmarias. They are the best in the biz, IMO. No connection other than happy customer.

Let me know how the Kona tastes when YOU roast it!
jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bassett
Hey Jon,

Have recently discovered SweetMaria's and watched several YouTube home roasting demos.

Which roast method do you use?

Keep in touch...My pal, Blue, from Santa Barbara has a coffee farm on Kona. I've been getting his roasted version the past several years, but now I'll go Green.

Still using my Spong #2 conical burr grinder, but it's getting pretty old and eBay ops seem to have dried up. That Zassenhaus working well?

I've to say that I'm a water snob...Reverse Osmossis with carbon pre and post filters...source: Northwest Washington artesian well water from the Clallam Syncline...(psychiatric evaluation on request).

Chemex glass drip method. Have been carrying around the first Chemex I bought in Chicago in 1967. It has many more miles on it than any of the trucks I've worn out over the years.

Keep it hot in a very old style coffee mug (pre-heated) common in the 40's & 50's at the likes of the ChatterBox Cafe. I have to lift weights every day just to be able to pick it up...weight: 5 lbs...Also works well for beaning raccoons...I've got a fine raccoon pepper jerky recipe.

Final image: A/S under the oaks, Lake San Antonio (Hunter-Ligget), sipping a fresh-roasted cup of A/Stream-Roasted Kona, puffing on a Macanudo Prince Philip Maduro, chewing on a stick of Raccoon jerky....watching the sunrise...all in preparation for the new day and getting ready for breakfast!

DJ
Old 03-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #129
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Our '05 Classic does have a filter at the faucet. Our previous International didn't... We generally use bottled water that we bring just for the coffee since even with a filter, there's no telling what that campsite taps into... Use chemex for brewing but nothing beats the Technivorm for heating the water right... trouble is, it'd pretty much blow every circuit in the A/S if anything else was running as it draws 13 amps. Coffee is at a melitta grind, cone filter. Getting the water hot enough for the brew is important as well as the quality of the water. We've also used your standard electric brewer & have had coffee almost as good as the Chemex - just don't let the coffee burn on the heating element.

Our coffee is the Guatemalan blend from Anderson's coffee here in town. The Guat is as full bodied as the Columbian but w/o the higher acidity... easier on the gut after 5 cups (camping cups, not china cups.. ). Have tried Peets, Starblechs, SweetMarias, various HEB/Central Market brands,etc., etc. but always end up back with Anderson's. The roast their own and have always been consistent - excellent. Been around here since '72.

Whatever brand, they all smell great brewing on a chilly morning while camping... in style, in an Airstream!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimandRod
Well - It looks like I'm going to go with a Chemex. I'm tired of being overbid on eBay and watching Revereware coffee pots go for outrageous prices. Now I just need to figure out if I want a regular one or a hand-blown one.

Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Either way you won't be disappointed. Just one small seam down the side that ya can't hardly see. Keep the box it comes in, good for storage and that long handle brush is handy for cleaning
Great for coffee.

Originally Posted by utee94
But if you want to buy pre-ground for the sake of convenience, then I've seldom had better than Community Coffee. It's from Louisiana and you can find it many places in the South.
Well - I just finished buying a 6 cup Chemex from Sweet Maria's. After I bought the coffee maker I went to the Community Coffee site and ordered some coffee. So - I'm set. I'm anxious to taste Community again. We used to subscribe to them and we got their Hotel Special Blend in regular shipments - great coffee!!!

And... wouldn't you know... after I made up my mind to get the Chemex... didn't I end up winning a Revereware 8 cup percolator on eBay today!!! I threw in a bid for a price that I thought was reasonable. Every time I've done that several people have slammed in bids at the end and the prices have gone through the roof. (I posted a pic in an earlier post of one that went for $77.00)

So, my bid was in and I didn't care if I got it or not. I was sure it was going to get slammed anyhow. The clock was ticking down and nothing - my bid was holding. The clock kept ticking down and wouldnt you know it - I won it for 36 bucks! It's a nice clean one. The description said it was hardly used and was really clean.

Although good drip coffee is the best brew, I love an occasional cup of perked (read boiled) Chock Full of Nuts (from a can) coffee (read sludge). Besides, nothing beats the sound or smell of a pot of coffee perking first thing in the morning - especially when camping!
Old 03-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #131
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Well - I just finished buying a 6 cup Chemex from Sweet Maria's. After I bought the coffee maker I went to the Community Coffee site and ordered some coffee. So - I'm set. I'm anxious to taste Community again. We used to subscribe to them and we got their Hotel Special Blend in regular shipments - great coffee!!!

And... wouldn't you know... after I made up my mind to get the Chemex... didn't I end up winning a Revereware 8 cup percolator on eBay today!!! I threw in a bid for a price that I thought was reasonable. Every time I've done that several people have slammed in bids at the end and the prices have gone through the roof. (I posted a pic in an earlier post of one that went for $77.00)

So, my bid was in and I didn't care if I got it or not. I was sure it was going to get slammed anyhow. The clock was ticking down and nothing - my bid was holding. The clock kept ticking down and wouldnt you know it - I won it for 36 bucks! It's a nice clean one. The description said it was hardly used and was really clean.

Although good drip coffee is the best brew, I love an occasional cup of perked (read boiled) Chock Full of Nuts (from a can) coffee (read sludge). Besides, nothing beats the sound or smell of a pot of coffee perking first thing in the morning - especially when camping!

Congrats on your perko, it may not taste as good but they really

are cool look'n, and the smell is terrific. Try the un-bleached Chemex

filters, Sandy swears by them, give me a second opinion, I really can't tell.

We got the same size for the A/S and the big one for the house.

Happy STREAM'N Bob
Old 03-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Congrats on your perko, it may not taste as good but they really are cool look'n, and the smell is terrific. Try the un-bleached Chemex filters, Sandy swears by them, give me a second opinion, I really can't tell. We got the same size for the A/S and the big one for the house.

Happy STREAM'N Bob
I ordered the unbleached filters so I'll let you know.

We frequently bounce back and forth on bleached & unbleached Mellita filters and frankly, I can't tell the difference.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #133
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Although good drip coffee is the best brew, I love an occasional cup of perked (read boiled) Chock Full of Nuts (from a can) coffee (read sludge).
Years ago (not sure if it still is), Chock Full of Nuts had the contract for state hospitals here in Texas... We weren't sure if it was because the company had the best bid or if the purchaser just had a sense of humor...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
Years ago (not sure if it still is), Chock Full of Nuts had the contract for state hospitals here in Texas... We weren't sure if it was because the company had the best bid or if the purchaser just had a sense of humor...
That's priceless!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #135
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
Good one!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #136
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
I bought a Chemex for the '58 Flying Cloud - since they have been around nearly as long, and make a great cup. Yesterday, I had to go out and fetch it from the trailer so I could make coffee in the house - there was a power outage. I have an antique, crank bean grinder (wood, with a little drawer, under the cast iron crank). It's not a perfect grinder, but works in a pinch.
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Well, my Chemex arrived from Sewwt MAria's yesterday. It makes a great cup of coffee. I think we'll enjoy in the AS
Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #138
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
Quote:
Well, my Chemex arrived from Sewwt MAria's yesterday. It makes a great cup of coffee. I think we'll enjoy in the AS
You might want to get a cast iron trivet thingy for the stove burner, on which you can put the new Chemex. Mine is a 6" Nordicware smooth black disk. Helps with keeping the coffee hot, without scorching/boiling.
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman
You might want to get a cast iron trivet thingy for the stove burner, on which you can put the new Chemex. Mine is a 6" Nordicware smooth black disk. Helps with keeping the coffee hot, without scorching/boiling.
Thanks - that's a really good idea!
Old 03-22-2008, 06:43 AM   #140
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman
I have an antique, crank bean grinder (wood, with a little drawer, under the cast iron crank). It's not a perfect grinder, but works in a pinch.
We have one of those that we use during power outages.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote