Old 06-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
We use a Revere Copper Bottom perculator. We grind our coffee beans before we leave and place them in a sealed container. Perk on the propane stove.

Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
French press

We just got a french press with an insulated pot and it's shiny! We grind at home if we are boondocking. Cleanup isn't all that bad and it makes great coffee.

Bob & Carla
05 classic 25'
WBCCI # 1836
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Same as Bob & Carla. We use the French Press at home and on the road. Water is heated in shiney stainless pot, then pressed. The press doubles as a vacuum insulated carafe, so it stays warm for a long time.
2005 Bambi
1968 Trade Wind
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Crew
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Originally Posted by BamCamper
I use a similar method...heat the water on the stove top and then pour through a Melitta type cone filter into a stainless thermos. It stays hot for hours.

(Hi janetb!)
Oh, Laura, thank you. My brother in law gives of-the-wall gifts with all the gift giving opportunities. A couple of months ago I unwrapped my birthday gift from him anticipating another wierd gift. He did not disappoint me. NOW I am not disappointed thanks to your post. I unwrapped an old collectible type ribbed aluminum thermos, with a cork for a stopper and red cup cap. I am not a coffee junky but do enjoy a morning cup occassionally. With a smiley blank stare I said "Thank you, Steve?" In his explanation he said,"For your Airstream." NOW I will carefully place it into our Airstream.

Neil.......and Lynn
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
We're from Santa Monica (where the foam meets the flakes) and as such we don't drink no coffee out of pots (just allow me to Vente a little)! We, bean' gourmets, only drink brew from just ground beans that have been carefully packed to prevent bruising. We would roast fresh beans, but the aroma brings the weak-willed sniffing around the door and if we give them any coffee, they're likely to whine about not being able to sleep. Since we dont have 110V when boondocking, we simply crush each individual bean with a pair of vice-grips or and use individual filters made from virgin wood pulp (G** forbid recycled-you just don't know where it's been). Tedious you say? Maybe, but counting the beans gives accurate reproducibility from cup to cup. There is no accounting for taste among bean counters! If part of a cup is allowed to get cold (we would normally throw it the street if we were in town and go back to Star*****) I simply stck the antenna for my handheld CB (linear amp'd, of course) and press talk. The RF(maybe it's BS, I forget) does the rest SALUD! Gosh! This is such an exciting topic. I think I'll go make a cup of coffee and try to calm down.
"Not all who are laundering are washed" say Bill & Heidi

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
On the boat, we heat water in a teapot and grind beans in a GSI Lexan Coffee Grinder sitting on a 33 ounce GSI Lexan JavaPress

Coffee is served in two 16 ounce wide-base Sea Bowld Stainless Steel Travel Mugs that keep it hot for quite awhile. The press also has an insulating wrap.

Coffee never tasted so good as it does when kicked back in the cockpit at anchor on a cool, calm morning out on the water.
RoadKingMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #21
Site Team
, Minnesota
All this talk about beans is giving me gas. Any good quality Arabica bean works for me.

My thing is the water. Here in Minnesota we have very good water quality. I use only untreated water directly from the Prairie Du Chien aquifer. No chlorates, thank you.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Nothing fancy, boil water in the teakettle, pour it into the thermos/travel cup and pop in a Folger's coffee single. Same routine I use for starting the morning from a rest stop, then hunt for a doughnut.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Saint Paul, MN tap water comes out at 8.4pH and is so alkaline an alka-seltzer nearly levitates above the water with a whirring noise, and dissolves in about twenty seconds... and when summer algae blooms in the shallow lakes they use for summer supplement it smells like a fishing pond straight from the tap... Its a buck a gallon for decent water in this neck of the woods...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #24
Site Team
, Minnesota
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer
Saint Paul, MN tap water comes out at 8.4pH and is so alkaline an alka-seltzer nearly levitates . . .
The last lab report was even higher than 8.4pH. Minneapolis and St Paul both use the Mississippi River and surface water.

Water from the Prairie Du Chein aquifer may be hard, but it doesn't stink in the summer.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Originally Posted by ScottW
I use the propane stove to heat water and brew the coffee in a french press. Can also heat water on one of our coleman white gas stoves, outside.
Don't make more than we can drink in one sitting, so keeping it hot isn't a problem.
^ Thats what we do too.
I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we have a pot just like the one in post #3; I think it is a Coleman. And we only use bottled water. Oh yeah, so far we haven't even used it yet, we have been useing the 110 volt coffee maker. We have not been without 110 power since we bought the stove top model.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:47 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wow I'm psyched

I'm a coffeeholic and the lexan grinder is a GREAT idea. The two best things for coffee are: Filtered water and Fresh beans freshly ground.

Even Starbucks admits that coffee is 99.7% water so while I do drink tap water without reserve, when traveling especially I use bottled for coffee. Let's face it, water tastes different in different areas, and what you carry in your fresh water tank can go a bit off too over time.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:10 AM   #28
Rivet Master
1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Interesting and informative...that's the Forum style. With our coffee we usually want some toast. How do you prepare toast? Aria

Aria is offline   Reply With Quote