Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #181
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Edmonton , Alberta
We've been cheating....http://www.amazon.com/Starbucks-VIATM-Ready-Colombia-Coffee/dp/B001UHHXU2[/URL].... boiled water, splashed with this... in an insulated MEC cup.... seriously? I am fussy... but this morning sipping on this, with a Globe and Mail newspaper, tucked into the gaucho.... perFECTion...
Badger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #182
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Campin' Coffee

Six-cup percolator on camp stove or inside stove. Pour first cup over hands to wake up. Drink next cup. Pour the rest in the thermos. It's usually gone before it gets cold.

We do admire the other more elegant coffee prep above - it's all great stuff.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #183
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
French press on the stove. I boil a kettle full of water so I can fill the thermos with boiling water as the coffee brews. When the coffee is ready, I pour myself a big cup, and the rest into the heated thermos which will keep it hot and fresh tasting most of the day.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #184
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
I haven't stayed anywhere other than a place that has power, but that's by choice.

I like a good cup of coffee and I have gone to great lengths to have one wherever I go. I spent 7 months in Afghanistan last year with about 5 of those months on a patrol base where we had no running water and limited electricity. I used a MSR Dragonfly multi fuel, my canteen cup, a hand grinder, and a french press I brought along. My brother would send me several pounds of coffee every couple of weeks to keep me stocked up.

I also acquired a large coffee thermos that I would heat the water up and using a wire mesh filter over the thermos I would slowly pour the coffee into it. I would make coffee for the Marines and needless to say everyone loved having a good cup of coffee instead of the crap stuff that came with the MRE's. There was something very soothing about making a cup of coffee even in a crappy place.

If I go boondocking I will either use the instant starbucks packs or heat up hot water on the stove and my use my french press.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #185
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
As I've mentioned before, the Aerobie portable coffee press is the best we've ever used to make our morning coffee - we still use it every day!

AeroPress® | AEROBIE® High Performance Sport Toys

The 'backup' Aerobie we bought a few months ago came with a nice zippered cloth pouch to keep all the parts together...

All we add is:
1. Rich, dark, French Roast beans...
2. small portable bean grinder...
3. filtered water and a way to heat it - in the microwave oven at home, and in a small kettle on the propane stove when in the AS...
4. small 'pencil' temp gauge for the heated water...
5. Oh yes, a couple of nice ceramic mugs to hold that aromatic brew...

By 'pressing' the 175 degree water through the Aerobie press, you get an expresso-like shot, to which we then add additional heated water for our rich dark brew of 'Cafe American' - we don't add sugar or milk, that spoils the natural rich taste of the coffee, IMHO...

I can smell the aroma now...
Old 10-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #186
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
As I've mentioned before, the Aerobie portable coffee press is the best we've ever used to make our morning coffee - we still use it every day!

AeroPress® | AEROBIE® High Performance Sport Toys

The 'backup' Aerobie we bought a few months ago came with a nice zippered cloth pouch to keep all the parts together...

All we add is:
1. Rich, dark, French Roast beans...
2. small portable bean grinder...
Ray, your post got me interested, so I ordered an Aeropress for $30 from Amazon, along with a Hario Mini-Mill Slim Hand Grinder [http://www.amazon.com/Hario-MSS-1B-M...dp/B001804CLY].

Because Sue and I primarily boondock, we've been pretty happy with a stovetop percolator: great brew, but long on prep time and cleanup. I have to say we get at least as good a cup of coffee, if not better, from the Aeropress/Mini-Mill combo! Cleanup with the press is done in seconds, and the mill gives a very consistent grind, while easily adjustable to produce whatever grind you want. Bottom line: no electricity required, and you get a little upper-body exercise grinding your own coffee beans! Heck, you could even take this setup on a short backpacking trip, and enjoy an outstanding cup of coffee while watching the sunrise/sunset! Thanks for the tip, Ray!

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #187
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Clever Coffee Dripper

If you like French press coffee, but not the cleanup (especially if you're trying to save water while dry-camping), here's a terrific gizmo that gives you the taste of French press, without the cleanup, or grounds in the bottom of your cup: the Clever Coffee Dripper

(http://www.amazon.com/ABID-CO-LTD-C-...4338477&sr=1-1)

For under $20, you get a filter cone that won't start draining until you set it on your coffee mug (yep, it easily makes 10 oz of coffee). Using a #4 coffee filter, you pour in the grounds for one cup, add hot water, stir, and let it steep for 4 min. Then when you set it on your cup, the bottom unplugs, and the coffee drains out. Then, just throw the filter cone away; that's it for cleanup! Makes a darn good cup of joe, too.

Cheers,
Jerry & Sue

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #188
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
That looks like a winner. You can't beat a melita filter cone for easy cleanup but the brewing time you get with this should make a much better cup of coffee.