Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Cobb Grill

I have now used my Cobb grill twice, once with lump (hardwood) charcoal and the second time with self lighting briquets. The lump lasted significantly longer the the briquets. In fact I had to add more briquets because the initial few burnt down. As a result the food had the taste of lighter fluid or whatever they use to assist in lighting the briquets.

Now the question: Is there away to add additional briquets and not get the aftertaste of fuel? Or should I stick with lump which I use in my grills at home.

Also how do you control the heat? There are no vents to open or close? Any help in this area would greatly be appreciated. If you use a thermometer where do you place on the grill?

Any help in this area would greatly be appreciated.

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
I use regular charcoal briquettes and fire starter stix to get the fire going. I almost always use more briquettes than the 8 or 9 they call for. Really happy with the Cobb and you can cook just about anything on it.

Not much way to control heat other than the number of briquettes.

-steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor
I have now used my Cobb grill twice, once with lump (hardwood) charcoal and the second time with self lighting briquets. The lump lasted significantly longer the the briquets. In fact I had to add more briquets because the initial few burnt down. As a result the food had the taste of lighter fluid or whatever they use to assist in lighting the briquets.

Now the question: Is there away to add additional briquets and not get the aftertaste of fuel? Or should I stick with lump which I use in my grills at home.

Also how do you control the heat? There are no vents to open or close? Any help in this area would greatly be appreciated. If you use a thermometer where do you place on the grill?

Any help in this area would greatly be appreciated.

John
I use a charcoal chimney I got from Weber, it uses 2 pieces of newspaper and it does a good job with no fumes. I have a charcoal smoker and when I need to add to it I use the chimney to get the coals ready, and pour them out of the chimney which has a nice handle on it....

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I just fill the basket level with kingsford charcoal, use a propane torch to light it, its a great unit,

if the coals start to die out just add more, the older coals will light the new ones,
Old 08-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Try using the non-matchlight style briquets and add them while you still have heat from the old ones. They should heat just fine without the kerosene smell and taste.
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
My thanks to all for the advice. I had to discard the pork roast I cooked because the fuel flavor was just to strong.

By the way to do you have any special recipes that you would like to share for the Cobb grill?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
My thanks to all for the advice. I had to discard the pork roast I cooked because the fuel flavor was just to strong.

By the way to do you have any special recipes that you would like to share for the Cobb grill?

Thanks
There are several vidoes on the Cobb web site and YouTube with recipies. The pre-seasoned roasts from Costco also work really well. cook for about three (3) hours. Great smoked flavor and tender.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
prattville , Alabama
Cobb grill

You should never use lighter fluid or presoaked charcoal per cobb manual.
I use a small piece of fire starter stick below charcoal and wait until the starter has burned away. Then add more charcoal while there is still enough charcoal left to start the next batch burning. The first batch of 6 to 8 should last 3 to 5 hrs.
bearrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
What's newspaper?
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #10

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Richland , Washington
My favorite meal from the Cobb is a small pork loin roast, about 2 pounds. Be sure there's a thin layer of fat on the top, and that it's natural pork (not injected with sodium phosphate). I use the dry rub mix from the Cobb cookbook. Put the rub on the night before. Then I use a foil packet of small mesquite or hickory grilling pellets - the ones that come in 1 lb bags in the BBQ section of the store - on top of the charcoal. It makes for a great smoky flavored, tender pork roast.
Lilypad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
My last cook was a pork loin (heriatage) however I ruined it because I used the ready to light briquetts and I had to add more during the cook. Needless to say loin picked up the smell from the briquetts.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
What's newspaper?
Stuff you pick up for free every week to start your charcoal.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Just received my Cobb yesterday (yeah amazon prime) and took it for a test run this afternoon. Marinated chicken thighs and sausages on top, small potatoes and zucchini in the moat - in two different pouches. Olive oil, garlic, fresh thyme.

Everything came out amazing.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have begun to use my Cobb grill more at home because my green eggs are to large to cook on for just me and my wife. So tonight I cooked fresh tuna with a vinegar/honey/pecan topping served over a Caesar salad. I did dotor the caesar with tomatoes and onions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	192206  
Old 08-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I use the proprietary "cobblestones", which are shaped kind of like perforated hockey pucks, and only use one at a time. Each one comes individually wrapped, in boxes of four. I use firestarter sticks to light them.

The cobblestones are made of compressed coconut fiber, and the burn longer than briquettes; in fact, I'm always done cooking long before the cobblestone burns out.

Another advantage, they remain intact even after they burn out (as long as you don't tap them with anything), so cleanup is a lot easier. Lift out the charcoal basket with the burned-out cobblestone still inside, walk over to the fire pit, and flip the basket over. The cobblestone breaks up into powder as soon as it hits the ground.

I've used the cobblestones to cook beef, lamb, chicken, fish, and pork, all with no problems (not all at once, though). When cooking red meat, I use red wine in the moat. So far my favorite Cobb meal was boneless chicken breast stuffed with Italian sausage. Yum!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have not been able to fine teh cobblestones where I live, however, I am getting more proficient using hardwood that I use on my greeneggs.

Do you always put a fluid in the moat. I have with chicken did not tonight when cooking the tuna
Old 08-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #17

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I have not been able to fine teh cobblestones where I live, however, I am getting more proficient using hardwood that I use on my greeneggs.

Do you always put a fluid in the moat. I have with chicken did not tonight when cooking the tuna
You can get them by mail order from firecraft.com, marketed under the name "Lokkii Solid Charcoal Bricks." Pack of four is $11.95. I buy six packs at a time, for a full case.

I always put some kind of fluid in the moat, even if it's just water. Makes for easier cleanup, as well as making sure the food doesn't dry out.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thanks for the info. Just looked them up however I found them to be a little pricey so I will stick with the wood charcoal. I did see where they have a table for the Cobb. That looked interesting.

Again thanks for the info
John
Old 08-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Just looked them up however I found them to be a little pricey so I will stick with the wood charcoal. I did see where they have a table for the Cobb. That looked interesting.

Again thanks for the info
John
Yeah, a bit pricey, at about $3.00 per block, but the convenience of individually-wrapped blocks makes it worthwhile to me, after one disaster early on when a paper sack of charcoal broke open in my Interstate. I thought I'd never clean up all the black charcoal dust!

I got the grill stand for the Cobb. It usually freaks out newcomers to see me set up a barbecue grill on a folding table made of nylon!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I like the looks of the table. Looked on web for it and only found it at fireraft.Other places said they were out of stock. so I was wondering how it held up. any thoughts

Thanks