Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I use a firestarter under the cage and leave the lid off until they are nice and grey. I also use the lump charcoal. Sometimes I use two little firestarters or if I have the long rectangular ones I'll break it in two and light both ends so I can get the whole basket going at once.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
My thanks to both of you for the info.
I have been placing my firestartes in with the charcoal next time I will place them under the cage and leave teh lid off until well lit.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
When I called Fire Craft to order the Dome extenders, I asked the question about lump charcoal and was told to use the standard charcoal. After I received the Dome Extender, I used about 10 briquets to cook a whole chicken (in the up-right position). It took a little over an hour and it turned out to be very delicious. Used a can of beer in the moat to steam it. Great results. Wife said I did good!
I left the lid off of mine while getting the coals going, but did put the grill (round top with many holes in it) on to heat. Took about 15 minutes for coals to be fully ready.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Did they give a reason why lump should not be used and can you tell the type of briquets you are using. Thanks
john
Old 06-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I still have our Cobb grill for sale, look in classifieds for details

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
The challenge I am having is getting the charcoal to light. I lit it a 4:45 this afternoon and less then half the charcoal is lit. When you light yours do you keep the lid off until the coals are lit or grey? It is just frustrating.
Instructions say lid and cooking surface off. What I do is light it. When the flames go out and the charcoal starts smoking (about 5 minutes last time), I let it sit some more. When the smoke goes away and all you can see is ripples in the air from waves of heat rising (about 20 minutes last time), I put the cooking surface of choice on to warm up for a few minutes before adding the food.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
I have had good luck with the lump charcoal. I can't think of any reason not to use it, except it's easier to dose out the uniform sized briquettes for more predictable results.

All this talk has me planning to break out the COBB and roast a chicken tonight (yum). Any recommendation what sort of beer works good in the moat? I am not a beer drinker, so I find the selection bewildering, but I have no problem cooking with it.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #28
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I have had good luck with the lump charcoal. I can't think of any reason not to use it, except it's easier to dose out the uniform sized briquettes for more predictable results.

All this talk has me planning to break out the COBB and roast a chicken tonight (yum). Any recommendation what sort of beer works good in the moat? I am not a beer drinker, so I find the selection bewildering, but I have no problem cooking with it.
IMHO... the cheaper the better! Good beer is for drinking!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Cheap Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
IMHO... the cheaper the better! Good beer is for drinking!

Aaron
Well I used a bottle of Corona!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Ive been using one of those Chimney Fire Starter thingies. Its like an inferno and all gray when i put the coals into the Cobb.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I suspect u could use coke in lieu of beer
Old 06-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Hi Cobb Grill Chefs,
I've been admiring these grills for sometime & have a few questions from experienced folks.
Have you found any type meat, poultry, seafood you cannot cook on the Cobb grill?
Which accessories have you found most useful ( besides the grill rack & dome)?
Since the exterior stays cool to touch; any problem placing grill under awning if its raining?
Thanks!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:07 PM   #33

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Since the exterior stays cool to touch; any problem placing grill under awning if its raining?
Thanks!
When you first light the charcoal you've got an actual flame, so caution is required when lighting the grill under a cloth awning. But once it's lit, no problem. I've done it on multiple occasions— occupational hazard of living in south Louisiana where people don't tan, they rust!
Old 06-26-2014, 05:42 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Sorry can't be much help in the cooking department until I get the fire lit properly. What I have cooked was good but it took for ever to finish
Old 07-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Well I went to briquets and they did light faster. I had about eight on there to cook to chicken breast but boy does it take long to cook. I felt like Rip Van Winkle waiting for them to cook. I actually finished them in the microwave. So my question is: Would they cook faster with more coals?
Old 07-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #36

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Well I went to briquets and they did light faster. I had about eight on there to cook to chicken breast but boy does it take long to cook. I felt like Rip Van Winkle waiting for them to cook. I actually finished them in the microwave. So my question is: Would they cook faster with more coals?
When I use briquettes I use about a dozen. But even then you still have to get into the "barbecue oven" mindset and ignore the "grill" part of the name. Treating it like a traditional grill will frustrate you no end, as you've already discovered.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Well, I'm of the school that, for somethings, more is better, so I use 12 briquets like Protagonist did. The instruction manual does say that it will take somewhere between 45 to 60 minutes to cook an entire chicken. Mine was right at 1 hours but let me assure you, it was well worth the wait. My wife said it was terrific and thats the only review that I have to worry about.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I will increase the number of briquetts and start earlier. By the way we did enjoy the chicken breasts. they were quite moist.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #39

1968 17' Caravel
Yeah, it's a great little grill if you want to kick back with a book and a cold one and relax while it does the work, but if you're one of those folks who wants to poke and fiddle with it, it will take forever Optimally, you don't even want to lift that lid if you don't absolutely have to. Just keep the heat in there and let it do it's thing.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
I just ordered the roasting rack from FireCraft and got it in two days. Maybe now I will enjoy using the Cobb more that I have the rack. The beer chicken sounds great - I usually put the chicken on top of the open beer can and roast
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote