Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Charcoal Ban

We just got back from a 3 week trip (Oregon to Oklahoma and back). Our stop in Yellowstone was great, but we were told that we could have a campfire and BBQ - but not with charcoal. Thankfully we were prepared and had our Weber 100 with us, so we were able to cook as we had planned. A while back we talked to some people who said that they had been traveling across the country and found several places that did not allow charcoal. Propane yes charcoal no. We prefer charcoal, but do always carry a propane BBQ. Just wonder how common it is to have a charcoal ban.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Here in NM, it's fairly common to see fire bans from late May through early July, our fire season. Usually the ban includes all fire: Campfires, charcoal, cigarettes, and spark-emitting vehicles/devices (e.g., ATVs and chainsaws). It's always a relief when the ban is lifted because that means we've had rain.

Lynn
Old 09-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Have had fire bans during dry months down here but not specifically charcoal bans. Sounds like more government applied controls.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Here it's strictly the most local entity that handles the ban: Village government, county (outside of village), particular national forest supervisor, state park supervisor, etc. Here the state park supervisors are under pretty careful reign of the statewide office, but the state office generally agrees with whatever the local supervisor recommends. Could be that way with the national forest supervisors as well, though I'm not too familiar with their internal operations.

And, of course, private owners are free to make their own restrictions as long as they aren't more liberal than those of the local governing entity. We've certainly started our own fire ban in advance of the ban instituted by the village.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Have had fire bans during dry months down here but not specifically charcoal bans. Sounds like more government applied controls.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Many sports venues around here have charcoal bans for tailgating.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
We have campfire and charcoal bans in effect here in central Idaho right now in most all National Forest areas and campgrounds. No rain since about July first. I live virtually in the National Forest and am very very glad to have the bans in effect. The smoke here today from lightning strike fires is so bad the visibility is only a quarter of a mile. We need no more man made fires.

The fire and charcoal controls are not some official getting their jollies by banning things, there is a real danger to life and property. Charcoal is a long lasting, very hot burning fire and if not put out properly can cause problems the same as any other fuel.

It is a sad thing when a fire ban is looked at as a political statement of government control.

Rant off.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I am curious about this charcoal ban. I use a propane grill. With it, I also use a small enclosed metal container that has holes in the top for smoking using wood chips. Would this be allowed under the charcoal ban?
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
Ban?

Let's see, if I remember correctly, some of the most devastating fires were caused by: 1) lightning 2) a firefighter.

Perhaps we should reread Civil Disobediance.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
We have campfire and charcoal bans in effect here in central Idaho right now in most all National Forest areas and campgrounds. No rain since about July first. I live virtually in the National Forest and am very very glad to have the bans in effect. The smoke here today from lightning strike fires is so bad the visibility is only a quarter of a mile. We need no more man made fires.

The fire and charcoal controls are not some official getting their jollies by banning things, there is a real danger to life and property. Charcoal is a long lasting, very hot burning fire and if not put out properly can cause problems the same as any other fuel.

It is a sad thing when a fire ban is looked at as a political statement of government control.

Rant off.
Fire ban no, charcoal ban yes.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Fire ban no, charcoal ban yes.

Aaron
It's a lot easier to turn off a gas grill than it is to be sure charcoal is 100% out.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I hope it is because of the awful stench that others have to put up with until the lighter fluid smell burns away.

I am guessing the distinction between charcoal and campfires is due to the way people handle the charcoal briquettes when they are done cooking. Obviously, they should be doused just like a campfire, but I've never seen that done. They seem to either go in the garbage (a very bad idea) or just sit in the grill until they burn to ash(also not a very safe practice).

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Open fires (charcoal included) always are involved with the most severe fire conditions in MN. It points out the hazard source when the risk is only intermediate -- they will ban open fires after midnight (ie, the fire has a chance to mostly go out before dufus campers depart campsites in the morning). It has amazed me how many morning campfires aren't drowned on Sunday when city dwellers head back to their safe enclaves...

[getting steamed on the internet must not be a fire hazard. ]

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
In Arizona we routinely have ground-fire bans in state parks and national forests during our drier months and seasons ... and they usually include charcoal fires. We prefer BBQing with charcoal, but we are prepared with a gas grill as well.

By the way, when we are finished with the the charcoal grill, we close all the vents on the grill and the briquets suffocate... The we add to those and relight for the next round of BBQing. We don't dump anything but cold ashes.

It's not a government conspiracy; it's just a fire season precaution.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have been told that when there is a charcoal fire ban, and not a ban on wood fires, it is because the charcoal burns much hotter and longer and the sparks can travel farther than the wood sparks. Go figure that one out...

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
It's a lot easier to turn off a gas grill than it is to be sure charcoal is 100% out.
That isn't the issue the issue is the ban on charcoal but not a ban on a campfire. I primarily use charcoal when I cook on my grills and cookers, much better heat and better flavor, IMHO. I would have a hard time observing somebody having a bon fire made out of wood and me not being allowed to cook my dinner on a charcoal grill.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
I am curious about this charcoal ban. I use a propane grill. With it, I also use a small enclosed metal container that has holes in the top for smoking using wood chips. Would this be allowed under the charcoal ban?

I think there are some questions you shouldn't ask (begging for forgiveness is a pretty straightforward process)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote