Old 02-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #113
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Hi Everyone,

I am just venturing into dutch oven cooking and I have a learning curve and also some tight space constraints.

I need a new grill as the Baby Weber will not fit in the space available.

I am thinking of buying the volcano grill and a dutch oven to use with it as it looks like it will fit in the compartment available in my Interstate.

I have been debating between the 10 inch and 12 inch and standard versus deep.

Will a standard depth DO work with the volcano grill? Will the bottom get close enough to the coals or propane to heat properly or do i need the deep oven?

There are just two of us so also debating the 10 versus 12 inch.

I want to cook bread as well as stews, roasts, etc.

Has anyone used a DO without the legs but a trivet - does it work? I saw on the Lodge web site that they have a DO top only for sale so thought that might work with my legless DO and a trivet. (I would love to carry both but I have minimum storage) Has anyone used the Camp Oven on the top of the burner in the Interstate (My burners have the pop up glass door).

I love to cook (and am looking at this as a challenge for myself) having recently downsized to an Interstate from a 345 Classic. I am working on getting all my new cooking methods and sizes worked out for the smaller storage space that I have. Thanks in advance for for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Bugs

Old 02-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #114
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't have a volcano, but others here do and I have heard good things about them.

I think you would have a difficult time finding a trivet high enough to give adequate space underneath for coals, but I could be wrong.

I don't have a deep, and do bread just fine in a 12" regular, but would get a deep if I were to do it over. Less monkeying to prevent top burning on breads, cobblers, monkey bread, etc., with the deep.

I would recommend a 12"", deep, with the legs and inverted lid. Easier to transition it to the oven, via a cookie sheet, than the other way around.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Maggie

Old 03-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #115
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Folks,

I was YouTubing this AM actually looking for Coffee Percolator videos, really bad selection and I stumbled on Jeffery Rogers video channel. You can see his cast iron collection in a video too.

He is cast iron crazy! Collecting and then fully utilizing cast iron in his videos. I haven't found any campfire demonstrations but his presentation is very good and inspiring.

Take a look.

http://https://www.youtube.com/chann...pjAjdpqA5x6K6Q

This video's preview pic is his presentation of the dish, not the big DO he cooked it in.
http://
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #116
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I always wanted to get to one of Jim Rogers' DO rallies.

I believe I heard he no longer works at the Lodge store in TN, and don't think I have seen him on here in quite awhile.

Maggie
Old 03-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Lodge makes a folding stand that is intended to be a place to park the lid and keep it clean. It can also be re purposed as a trivet to keep an oven over the coals. The Volcano has a rack to put the steaks and burgs on and a legless DO will fit there nicely. The lid with a lip is essential because when baking and roasting you need top heat as well as bottom heat. I would go with a 10 inch deep DO. Better to have extra head space than to need it.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #118
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Came across this in Sunday's Chicago Tribune.

Meat roasting fire at Hampton Court Palace....built by King Henry VIII....
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Now there's a fire!

Thanks for reviving this thread. We love our cast iron cookware, including muffin and popover "tins" I guess one would still call them . . .

Ditto for the cast iron baking flats for cornbread mini "ears of corn," as well as those for the small French Bread dinner rolls with the crunchy crust like small baguettes. [in theory, haven't used these yet]

eBay has lots of antique cast iron baking items, although some require a pretty thorough cleaning up.

With the recent purchase of our "less is more" FC20, most of the cast iron will probably have to say at home. To replace it we have started to try the Lodge seasoned carbon steel line. Most of the benefits of cast iron with about half the weight. For instance this 12" skillet only weights 4 lbs. (shipping weight).

Amazon.com: Lodge CRS12 Carbon Steel Skillet, Seasoned and Ready to Use, 12-inch: Lodge Steel Pan: Kitchen & Dining

It will still be hard to leave the real dutch oven behind. Thanks again for the revived thread.

Peter
Old 11-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #120
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A lot of us carry a Dutch oven or two.....just have to have them.

I carry a 12" and an 8".

Maggie
Old 11-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Latest acquisition, new 10 inch Lodge,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	252868  
Old 11-25-2015, 07:23 PM   #122
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have driven by a Lodge outlet several times this week....No need to stop, though. I am loaded up on cast iron.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #123
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is just nothing quite like it.

I have antiques, newer pieces, and everything in between.

I was a pioneer in another life.

Maggie
Old 11-25-2015, 08:04 PM   #124

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Our Overlander leans to the left...
Dutch oven, small round flat griddle, 2 regular skillets and a large flat iron cook top griddle.

Never really saw a need to cook over coals, the gas stovetop and oven get the results I like.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #125
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
We did a pair of turkey breasts today in a DO. Even managed a bit of browning via lid coals. Cooked Linda's stuffing "meatballs" and crescent rolls in the box oven and gravy with a '70's vintage Coleman 425 for our thanksgiving meal at camp.

Never used the AS to cook any if this today.

Happy thanksgiving.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #126
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
For anyone interested in flea market shopping for cast iron I would like to pass on a very easy method to clean and restore a piece that has been abused over its life. So, here goes: Find someone with a wood burning stove with a door large enough for your piece to fit through. With a hearty wood fire carefully put your beat up/ filthy cast iron piece into the fire resting solidly on the burning logs. Leave it in for awhile ( few hours will work nicely). Now, here you gotta be real careful. With tongs carefully, very carefully, remove your piece of cast iron. Careful now it might be glowing red hot. Rest it on some logs to keep it elevated and leave it to cool down. When cool it will be as good as new and require traditional seasoning. It has worked every time for me but I suggest inspecting the piece beforehand to make sure there are no cracks or faults.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote