Old 09-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #85
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Fcloud9,

Can't speak for Maggie's preference but standard coals are often reffered to in reciepies, so many on top, so many under etc. When you get good at it you can use coals from a fire but it takes a bit more experience due to variations in the coals. When the DO was making its reputations, Kingsford and all the others didn't exist.

You might enjoy one or two of these videos. I put a list of titles and links in the PDF.

Gary
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DO Cooking Videos 3.10.14.pdf (89.1 KB, 71 views)

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #86
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have tried baking in a DO with coals from a woodfire....disastrous results, every time.

Charcoal briquettes are just more evenly sized, so therefore more even heat.

If you are simply cooking something, wood fire coals will do fine.....beans, chili, bacon or sausage, etc.

I got into using a DO for baking, as there is no oven in the Interstate.

Baking is what I use mine for, most of the time, and charcoal is simply easier and gives more predictable results.

Maggie

Old 09-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #87
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
I didn't set out to collect this group, it just happened. The Cast Iron prides of the fleet are the Lodge 20" skillet and 11 Qt Camp Oven. The 20" is discontinued and it is a pancake making machine, both were purchased from Lehman Hdwe. in Kidron OH. The coffee boiler on the pot crane (homemade crane) is an 11 Qt Wear-Ever coffee boiler, no basket. You get it boiling, reduce to an easy rolling boil and add grounds, 6-7 minutes of boiling and then let it rest for a few to settle the grounds, then ENJOY! The 2nd largest skillet does double duty for a pizza pan in the house. The Dutch Oven fleet has done stews, chilis, beef roasts (big favorite) deserts and the 11 Qt make a great chicken frier. I purchased the hand made tripod from the Black Smith at Mountain Craft Days, Somerset PA a couple of years ago. Plans are to remake the fire box, larger and using proper materials, but it has seen MANY backyard campfires and cookouts. Missing from the pic's is my cardboard box oven, forgot to get it out. No, all of this is not used every time or even carried each time in the AS.

This is in my backyard camp, the haze just visible in the right side of the group shot is from a smoker with a pork butt in it, today ribs. Got on a smoker kick this weekend.

If you have wanted to try campfire cooking but didn't want to mess up a cast iron skillet, don't worry about the outside, if it starts smoking before the food is in, that's telling you it's getting a bit too hot, it doesn't take as much fire to use cast iron as you might think. Aluminum pots can be kept clean, look at the big boiler, shines like a vintage Stream, before you put it over the fire coat the OUTSIDE of the pot with dish soap up to just below the "food area" cook and them cleanup is an easy task not a big chore, tune up every so often with a Brillo pad

Campfires and outdoor cooking are an intergal part of camping, let me give credit to BSA Troop 186 and the Scout Leaders that planted this life long enjoyment of fire cooking.

Now, how about your campfire cooking stories and hardware.

Just wanted to say that Cabela's is offering a 20" cast iron skillet currently at $40.95 plus shipping. I had it in my 'cart' for two weeks at $55.95, never pulling the trigger, but when I upgraded my phone I lost it. Went back there today and it was $15 off. I would have been happy with the price two weeks ago if I'd bought then. Now I am super pleased.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Rule of 3's for dutch oven temp control. Double the size of the oven to get the number of briquettes. For a 10" oven =20 for a 12 = 24 light these and when ready divide in half. Now take 3 from one pile and add them to the other. The lesser # goes under and the greater on top. For example, using a 12 " DO 9 briquettes under and 15 on top gives a 325 oven. To increase temp by 25 add 2 briquettes, one over and one under. Using this formula you can fine tune the DO with accuracy similar to using the oven at home.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #89
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Gearhart,

Nice easy rule of thumb for temps. Getting cooler outside, good times for more DO and cast iron time. Got any pic's or favorite's to share.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbel View Post
Can anyone refer me to websites or threads on baking in the dutch oven? Outside? Recipes and Dutch oven brands would be great too. Thanks!

Melanie

Here's a good site with a lot of information and a fun organization to join.

Pap

IDOS - International Dutch Oven Society
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Here's another really good web site-

Wagner and Griswold Society Information - Index
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Good data. Thanks

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #93
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I watched Jacques Pepin do "pan bread" the other day, a baking soda type of bread done in a covered skillet on top of the stove, then did a bit of research on the no-knead doughs and cooking in a pan.

Theoretically, with any dough, you can pull off a piece as large as you want, pat it flat, and cook in a buttered skillet on top of the stove.

This can be done with the no-knead dough recipes that you make up, refrigerate and bake any time in the next week or two......these are Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day, which you can find online. I have not done these, as they require more refrigerator space than I have anywhere, but they are quite popular and apparently bake up as well as advertised.

I tried this out, with a whole wheat based 1/2 recipe of my own, adapted, no-knead DO artisan bread that I mixed up this am......and it worked beautifully!

Used a chunk the size of a softball, patted it out and into my like-sized cast iron panini pan with a bit of butter, turned it as it browned, til done. Yum! Bread for one!

I put the rest of the dough in oiled waxed paper in a baggie in the frig, will let y'all know how baking it from cold comes out. A new discovery!

I have seen recipes for "camp bread", but like the idea of a) yeast bread and b) small batches.

Maggie
Old 01-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #94
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is another good DO cooking website.

Byron's Dutch Oven Cooking Page

Maggie
Old 01-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Hi Maggie,

I am so glad that you posted this. A few years ago, I used some of the recipes from that book and made it on the BBQ grill. That was when I had the 345 Classic MH. Now that we have the Interstate, I have been trying to re-think some of my recipes in order to minimize the amount of things that I carry. I wonder if the extra dough could be frozen like pie dough? This is very helpful! Thanks, Kate
Old 01-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Byron's page is my go-to page for years of Dutch Oven cooking since forever. It's also a great reference got Scout Leaders--which is how I found it.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #97
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
Here is another very good site for Camp and Dutch oven cooking.

www.camp-cook.com
Old 01-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #98
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I pulled off a piece of refrigerated dough this am (a half batch of the no-knead dough, 1 1/2 cups flour, makes 3 nice portions) and patted it out onto a little cornmeal.

It had risen some in the frig, I covered it with a bowl while drinking my coffee and walking Miss Lily, to let it warm and rise a bit again.

It came out beautfully, IMO. Light, porous, and bakes in the pan in about 15 minutes. Especially nice if weather outside is not conducive to using the DO.

Fresh whole grain bread, about the size of a large
English Muffin......breakfast for one.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	229678