Old 09-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #71
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
I actually have 2 frypans that were my Grandmother's that I got after she passed. Small for eggs, and medium fry pan. I have a second medium fry pan, and a large. We love them.

When my daughter in college moved into a rental house, for Christmas that year she got a Kitchenaid mixer, a cast iron frying pan, and good knives.

I am grateful for this DO information. We are saving up for our AS, and hope to get a Bambi 16. Only thing missing is of course an oven. And darn it, I like pie and coffee when I'm on vacation. Sure I can figure something out with the DO. So thanks.
You can do pie in a DO. I use a regular pie pan, elevate it on a rack or some small rocks in a large DO then add the coals and cook just like a regular oven. The DO is amazingly versatile. I have a couple without the feet that I use in the oven at home too.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #72
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I won't have my toasting fork at Alumalina, Gary.

It won't arrive til while I am gone, as I will be home tomorrow and heading out again on Monday.

You can do a rustic pie, as in minus a pie pan, in the DO, with refrigerated pie crust.

Pat it out and up the sides a bit, put filling in center, pull crust toward the center, sprinkle some sugar on it to get crusty, and bake in a hot DO.

Yummy.

Maggie

Old 09-05-2014, 06:19 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks Aaron and Maggie!

So I need a DO that a pie pan will fit into if I want to do it Aaron's way. Which I think would be better because then the pie is in the pan for serving.

Can you give the plus/minus's of feet vs no feet. I am assuming *danger* that no feet may be a more useful overall piece, since it could be used on a cooktop, but that feet are better over a campfire. And also *assuming* that feet help the bottom from burning on a campfire. Am I on the right track?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #74
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Piggy bank,

DO's two styles camp and plain (?) the camp style has the feet and a flanged lid. The feet elevate it above coals slightly to keep from smothering the coals and the flanged lid allows coals on top for baking.

Each has its use but the plain one for me is a home inside use or a small chili or bean pot. The camp style is where the challenge and magic is.

Lots of videos on YouTube.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #75
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Also.....lining with one of the parchment DO liners allows you to remove any baked item for serving, also protects the interior from stuck-on messes.

Available at WalMart.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I had 3 fry pans that were in my family for 4 generations I had them short time, my wife did not like them unknown to me until a while later that she gave them to her brother, I will not elaborate what I think of him but he promptly threw them away, these things from my family gone forever, needless to say I was not happy. now she uses fry pans when out w/AS but won't use at home now uses medium fry pan for baked beans at home the only pc. she will use. I make chili on wood stove in do but she will not use them. I have griddle, corn bread pan, 3 do 1 footed w/flanged cover, 1 reg. cast iron cover 1 w/glass lid, 4 fry pans, some other pcs. plus very large collection of moms trivets from everywhere plus some other items to many to list.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #77
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Also.....lining with one of the parchment DO liners allows you to remove any baked item for serving, also protects the interior from stuck-on messes.

Available at WalMart.

Maggie
Or just buy a roll of parchment paper and trim the edges... yes I am Scottish.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #78
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
True, and not as much waste as with a liner for a rustic pie.

I am getting one of these little guys, made by NorPro.

The only skillet I have in the Interstate is 12", lidded, that has to stow under one of the benches. I cook much differently these days.

This is 6", will stow under the sink in the galley and can be used for grilled sandwiches, ham and eggs, meats or fish, etc.

Better for one, and may encourage me to cook.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Don't use the parchment liners if doing something simi- liquid, or you will be able to make a lot of "little paper balls". I did baked beans and the liner dissolved. Since than, I use the deep 10 inch disposable aluminum cake pans. On pies, cakes etc., I put a pie tin upside down under the pan so item doesn't burn.
Maggie, someday you will have to teach me some of your DO tricks.
mike
Old 09-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #80
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Maybe we stumbled on something, with the eggs and the crescent roll "liner" we get to eat the liner!
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
True, and not as much waste as with a liner for a rustic pie.

I am getting one of these little guys, made by NorPro.

The only skillet I have in the Interstate is 12", lidded, that has to stow under one of the benches. I cook much differently these days.

This is 6", will stow under the sink in the galley and can be used for grilled sandwiches, ham and eggs, meats or fish, etc.

Better for one, and may encourage me to cook.

Maggie
Maggie,
Your cast iron collection, toasting fork & 6" pan are awesome! Camping in a FC 20', I've been trying to follow recommendations of experienced airstreamers and limiting AS extras to "multifunctional" items with weight & space management. However, I rather enjoy cooking and read this 4 year running thread with great interest. So far, have only purchased a Lodge Cast Iron Large Fajita Pan with walnut underliner. Only tried chicken fajitas so far but enjoyed cooking over wood fire & results were great. Since I do not have experience with cast iron over wood fire, do you have a general "rule of thumb" for preheating your cast iron pans? Know I could google or buy another cookbook but would like to try some more campfire meals on next long weekend camping trip.
Kind regards,
FCloud9

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #82
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Maggie,
Your cast iron collection, toasting fork & 6" pan are awesome! Camping in a FC 20', I've been trying to follow recommendations of experienced airstreamers and limiting AS extras to "multifunctional" items with weight & space management. However, I rather enjoy cooking and read this 4 year running thread with great interest. So far, have only purchased a Lodge Cast Iron Large Fajita Pan with walnut underliner. Only tried chicken fajitas so far but enjoyed cooking over wood fire & results were great. Since I do not have experience with cast iron over wood fire, do you have a general "rule of thumb" for preheating your cast iron pans? Know I could google or buy another cookbook but would like to try some more campfire meals on next long weekend camping trip.
Kind regards,
FCloud9

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
I do not have a general rule of thumb, but would suggest using hot coals rather than flame.

Many fire pits have grids, which are perfect. Put your skillet or DO over coals.....if too hot, move some out, if too cool, add some more.

I always preheat, then add a bit of oil and whatever I am cooking. The old mantra "hot pan, cold oil, food won't stick".

This pan from NorPro came today. I love it. The press and pan are both cast iron. You preheat them together, if doing a sandwich, then grill both sides at one time.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #83
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Don't use the parchment liners if doing something simi- liquid, or you will be able to make a lot of "little paper balls". I did baked beans and the liner dissolved. Since than, I use the deep 10 inch disposable aluminum cake pans. On pies, cakes etc., I put a pie tin upside down under the pan so item doesn't burn.
Maggie, someday you will have to teach me some of your DO tricks.
mike
Agreed.

The liners are best for sticky, sweet things, as the sugars will caramelize onto the DO, making it very difficult to clean up.

Also, cinnamon will get into the iron, making everything taste like cinnamon. Ask me how I know this.

I do beans with ground beef without a liner. Just give it a good scrub afterwards and a coating of oil. Brown beef and onion in there, with some oil, which coats the inside nicely while it is cooking.

Maggie
Old 09-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I do not have a general rule of thumb, but would suggest using hot coals rather than flame.

Many fire pits have grids, which are perfect. Put your skillet or DO over coals.....if too hot, move some out, if too cool, add some more.

I always preheat, then add a bit of oil and whatever I am cooking. The old mantra "hot pan, cold oil, food won't stick".

This pan from NorPro came today. I love it. The press and pan are both cast iron. You preheat them together, if doing a sandwich, then grill both sides at one time.

Maggie
Sorry to seem "dense" but when you say coals ...okay to allow wood fire "coals" or do you mean you add charcoal? Otherwise, thank you for cast iron chef 101!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums