Old 07-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #57
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I collect cast iron, and am a very easy touch when it comes to something unique.

Found these trivets in a great antique shop housed in an old school yesterday. Had to have them.

Will use the small one as a coaster for my coffee/tea mug, on the small table next to my favorite chair.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	216111  

Old 07-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #58
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Maggie,

Hard to pass those up. I got a new Lodge trivet need to try it. Also got a new to me griddle, 27" across. Hope we use it this fall and make some pancakes.

But hey, looking forward to some DO bread skills and tastings at Alumalina.

Gary

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #59
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That would be fun, Gary.

We carry a griddle, as well, for fire pit grates, so that would be two.

Maggie
Old 07-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It has always between a difficult decision whether to bring cast iron cookware or my anvil collection. And I love a cast iron cook stove for travel, though the wood gets a bit heavy. Keeps the trailer warm and we don't have to listen to that loud furnace or buy propane. Unfortunately, we'd have to cut the weight down by bringing neither clothes nor food and maybe sleep on the floor after removing the bed. With no clothes or food, we could remove the cabinets and fridge.

We do bring no more than 2 cast iron items, leave the anvils and cook stove at home. But cooking on cast iron on a gas stove is the best way to cook.

Gene
Old 07-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #61
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Gene,

That sounds like a challenge, Anvil pancakes! Or maybe a pancake in the shape of an anvil?

I gotta admit, we cheated this spring at Alumalina with the 27" griddle, had to use Sandlapper's double burner propane rig due to lots of rain overnight. Woke up to camp swampy.

Maggie, we're encouraged by the b-fast egg bakes we've made in the DO's.

Gary
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I have collected Griswold cast iron for many years; at one time I had over 300 pieces. I carry 4 Griswold pieces in our AS; one each of a #9 skillet, #7 Victor skillet, #5 skillet, and a #6 Dutch Oven. I have cooked many meals in my #6 DO in the convection/micro oven. It's the perfect size.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:48 AM   #63
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mmmm, would have loved to see that collection.

When I was looking to identify something I bought in NY several years ago, I found Forums for cast iron collectors online.

They have conventions, lots of pictures, and items I had never seen before.

It is something of an addiction.

Maggie
Old 07-12-2014, 06:35 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Definitely a fun addiction and one of the few where you can use an antique and not hurt it, plus everything tastes better being cooked in a cast iron cookware, especially a Griswold. Griswold made the finest grade of cast iron you will ever see. They were bought out by Wagner around 1949.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #65
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I got into old trivets years ago, and have them on the walls in my kitchen and over the soffits.

Love the lacy look against the colored walls.

I covet unusual items, and am always on the lookout for them.

Found an iron string-holder from an old store somewhere, which I love and use.

Maggie
Old 07-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #66
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have a sizable collection of mostly cast iron cookware. I love Lodge and just purchased some brand new pieces from them. I had to replace my 2 quart camp oven. My daughter "borrowed" the old one for a trip to the west coast where she camped on the way out. I have been informed that I ain't getting it back! . Oh well she is my daughter.

I like the fact Lodge is now producing the enamel coated cast iron right here in the US. I was reading their website and they are actually expanding their factory to help meet increasing demand.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #67
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Toasting Fork

Having just spent 8 nights at Indiana Dunes, sans electricity, I decided I need one of these for the Interstate.

A sturdy, iron, 3-tined fork, that would properly hold a nice piece of bread.

Good quality wholegrain bread (preferably my own), toasted, with lovely jam or marmalade, is a favorite breakfast of mine.

I made toast last week in the skillet, but this would use less energy and could also be used in a campfire, if one was available.

There is also the charm factor.

Would also be great in the woodstove on cold mornings or evenings.....toast with jam for breakfast, with cheese for lunch or supper.

$13.29 at Amazon.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	220812  
Old 09-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Cast Iron Love

I just "discovered" cast iron and chucked all of my non-stick. I had a dutch oven for experimenting with cooking over a fire camping, and I had a roast I needed a dutch oven to roast it in, so I used the oven to sear it over flame, and then roasted it in my oven for a few hours. It turned out sooo well i fell in love with cast iron and promptly ordered the set on Amazon that is $65 for a set of 5. Trained my family on seasoning it and how to clean it. I love that sizzle when you drop a steak on it, it's like a grilled steak which you can cook up on a weeknight fast. Love it. Where has this stuff been all my life? Oh. Right under my nose!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
I actually have 2 frypans that were my Grandmother's that I got after she passed. Small for eggs, and medium fry pan. I have a second medium fry pan, and a large. We love them.

When my daughter in college moved into a rental house, for Christmas that year she got a Kitchenaid mixer, a cast iron frying pan, and good knives.

I am grateful for this DO information. We are saving up for our AS, and hope to get a Bambi 16. Only thing missing is of course an oven. And darn it, I like pie and coffee when I'm on vacation. Sure I can figure something out with the DO. So thanks.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #70
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Piggy Bank,

The DO is a really fun cooking tool. Versatile, and almost always an attention getter and conversation starter. We've made two DO egg scramble bake and it worked and got gobbled till gone. We did one twist with the eggs and I think it might be worth a try. We lined the bottom and side with crescent roll dough right from the tube. It made a liner of dough. Kinda like getting a little bit of bread with your serving an cleanup was no problem.

Hope to learn from Maggie later this month and she can demonstrate her new pitchfork tool.

pinkflamingo,

A beef roast in the DO with some taters and onion and carrot with a gravy envelope (cheating) makes a one pot meal.

Got a used 27" long griddle last year only used it once for pancakes so far need to experiment with it a bit and got a DO cooking table that elevates the work area, kinda like it for charcoal use.

Did some Buffalo Wings last weekend, fried 'em sauced 'em and served 'em, all gone.

Gary

S/OS #001