Old 09-29-2006, 04:36 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
marlborough , Massachusetts
You guys are awesome! We have family stuff on that day but there is always Fri. We live so close we may have to pay you all a visit. You guys will be right near the outlet stores in Wrentham Village. Good place to start shopping.

Old 09-29-2006, 04:40 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
Shopping

Just checked out stores at Wrentham Village. Sounds like a great place to pick up things for everyone! Thanks!

Old 09-29-2006, 05:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
mmmmm....very tempting ..not sure what are plans are either. A Friday arrival here is very doable if we do get together with family on turkey day. I've heard Normandy Farms is the Caddilac of camping spots..like to check it out. I'd love to get out one more trip in before the snow flies... I was thinking the Harvest Pumpkin Rally was going to be our last for the year
Old 09-29-2006, 06:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Pattyo and Myboyburt have reserved sites H1 and H2. We will be arriving on Wesdnesday and leaving on Sunday.
We have signed up too...we are in site H3.

We will all need to sign up soon for the Saturday nite dinner as the CG indicated to me today that tickets are going fast. There are only 20 dinner tickets left.

Any yam lovers coming for Thanksgiving? If so, I will sign-up to make an awesome yam dish for which I have to give credit to Elaine for the recipe. She made this dish for a winter luncheon a few years ago and boy was it yummy. If you don't like yams, you will after eating this dish.

I can also bring my bread maker to make fresh bread to serve with my recipe for cranberry butter.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
We have signed up too...we are in site H3.

We will all need to sign up soon for the Saturday nite dinner as the CG indicated to me today that tickets are going fast. There are only 20 dinner tickets left.

Any yam lovers coming for Thanksgiving? If so, I will sign-up to make an awesome yam dish for which I have to give credit to Elaine for the recipe. She made this dish for a winter luncheon a few years ago and boy was it yummy. If you don't like yams, you will after eating this dish.

I can also bring my bread maker to make fresh bread to serve with my recipe for cranberry butter.
This is too cool! Bring on the yams! Leon will love them. Bread Machine - why not. Everyone loves fresh bread for Thankgiving.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:58 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
Yams

Will they be for Thursday Thanksgiving or Saturdays. I asked spouse if he liked yams and he said no, i asked if he liked sweet potatoes and he said yes! I myself dislike all vegatables but will be more than happy to provide coffee, breakfast goodies or after the feast goodies, etc.

peo
Old 09-30-2006, 12:33 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Ha! Nothing wrong with N.E. camping in November. But water is tough!

We have been in the habit of going to Strawberry Park CG in Preston, CT for the last few years. Close proximity to Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun as the inlaws get in to that sort of thing. They are usually in the middle of winterizing the CG, while we are thawing out our water hose with a Burnz-a-matic torch in the morning and the neighbors in the park rentals are deep frying a turkey out on the deck, but it's all part of the fun!

For a real rustic Thanksgiving, the Fort At # Four in Charlestown, N.H. does a Thanksgiving dinner in their Great Hall... no electricity, heat by fireplace, beeswax lights in wrought iron chandeliers suspended from the rafters: http://www.fortat4.com/calendar.html Have not done it myself, but heard it is great! We did do a dinner there ourselves though, at the rally last Columbus Day weekend. Great Hall pics near bottom of page: http://www.wbcci1.org/whitemt/muster.htm
Old 09-30-2006, 02:17 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyo
Will they be for Thursday Thanksgiving or Saturdays. I asked spouse if he liked yams and he said no, i asked if he liked sweet potatoes and he said yes!
Thursday Thanksgiving.

I just double-checked my recipe and it uses sweet potatoes, not yams, so spouse will be happy!

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Warm Chutney Dressing
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
5 T olive oil
1 T fresh rosemary (chopped)
1 t salt
1 t pepper
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t cumin
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup pumpkin seeds green (roasted)
1 cup scallions

Dressing
6 T balsamic vinegar
1/3 cu chutney (I used store bought)
2 T dijon mustard
2 T honey
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 cup olive oil
  1. In a roasting pan combine potatoes, cumin, ginger, rosemary, 5 T olive oil or enough to coat potatoes. Cook for 25-30 minutes on 400 or until fork tender and browned.
  2. Meanwhile in saucepan heat dressing ingredients except for olive oil. After heated remove from heat and whisk in the oil
  3. In bowl mix cranberries and scallions
  4. When potatoes are done mix in cranberries and scallions.
  5. Pour dressing over top and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:13 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
What's the difference between a yam and a sweet potato?
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:05 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
We will be coming back from Preston, CT. on Thanksgiving. Maybe we could stop in. Have to check with rgesch-the bearded-one. Don't forget Winter Rig OR RENT in March we already have our reservation set for that...but while we are on the subject would anyone be interested in a New Years Camping Party?
Old 09-30-2006, 07:13 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
What's the difference between a yam and a sweet potato?
Several decades ago, when orange-fleshed sweet potatoes were introduced in the southern United States, producers and shippers desired to distinguish them from the more traditional, white-fleshed types. The African word nyami, referring to the starchy, edible root of the Dioscorea genus of plants, was adopted in its English form, yam. Yams in the U.S. are actually sweetpotatoes with relatively moist texture and orange flesh. Although the terms are generally used interchangeably, the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that the label "yam" always be accompanied by "sweetpotato."

Old 09-30-2006, 10:08 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Several decades ago, when orange-fleshed sweet potatoes were introduced in the southern United States, producers and shippers desired to distinguish them from the more traditional, white-fleshed types. The African word nyami, referring to the starchy, edible root of the Dioscorea genus of plants, was adopted in its English form, yam. Yams in the U.S. are actually sweetpotatoes with relatively moist texture and orange flesh. Although the terms are generally used interchangeably, the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that the label "yam" always be accompanied by "sweetpotato."
So... In the potatos for dummies or Cliff notes version, they're basically the same and PattyO's hubby wouldn't notice the difference.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:33 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
So... In the potatos for dummies or Cliff notes version, they're basically the same...
Well...that is not entirely true.

My recipe wouldn't work with yams because they are moister than sweet potatoes hence would become "squishy" during the cooking process. The sweet potatoes are a firmer vegetable (they have extra fiber too) so hold up well through the cooking process (in my recipe).

Quote:
..and PattyO's hubby wouldn't notice the difference...
That is a trick I would play on someone but not to someone I don't know that well! As I only met him once at R1R, I wouldn't feel comfortable switching vege's on him especially during a Thanksgiving feast that I am an invited guest!

Old 10-01-2006, 02:31 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
Spouse never had a yam but he loves all vegetables. A yam is only something he's never tried (not being available to us often up here in the north. I was thinking that I would hit Ikea Wednesday for a bag of their swedish meatballs and sauce. Will cook that up for dinner Wednesday night for all interested. I just love them!