Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2003, 09:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Best Portable Grill?

I don't like cooking in the trailer so we usually use a portable Coleman stove and set it up on the picnic table outside. I'm thinking about getting a portable bbq grill and have noticed some fold-up stainless grills that might work. Does anyone have a small grill that they recommend? Ideally would work with small propane bottles as well as charcoal. Thanks.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Funny you'd mention this - I'm just about to get my first Airstream and I've been thinking about how fun it'll be to be able to grill outside the trailer.

I don't know what your budget is, but MAN there's a nice stainless steel grill at Williams-Sonoma. Before you snicker at the $559 price tag (just finished snickering myself actually) it's important to remember that this is the kind of thing that if built properly you'll use hundreds of times and will last virtually forever. I think it's so beautifully made and seems like such a well-designed little machine, I may actually go for something like this.

That is... unless I can find out who's contracted to make it for them before Williams-Sonoma slaps their name on it and triples the price. ; )

Brad
Here it is - gorgeous!
http://ww1.williams-sonoma.com/cat/p...op%2Fhme%2Fhme
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Funny. After looking a bit closer, I notice it's manufactured by TEC - and has lots of names, including the "Cherokee" at www.bar-b-que.com

Same price. Oh well. : (
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 10:16 AM   #4
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Indoor/outdoor cooking

Between my little Hibachi tabletop charcoal grill, George Foreman electric grill (used outside on clear days) and my small microwave, I seldom find need to use the stove.
All are easy to clean and save on the expense and hassle of using propane.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 10:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
This summer we got something that may interest you...it's the Coleman Road Trip Grill. It has interchangable cooking components that allow it to be used as a BBQ, Stove, Griddle or 1/2 one thing & 1/2 another. It uses the small disposable propane tanks, but we also purchased an additional hose which allows us to hook it up to our trailer's OPD tanks or any other 20lb tank. I LOVE it...the only complaint is it's a bit heavy, but it appears to be made well.

If you keep your eye open you can find it for under $150...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

thanks

Shari, are you happy with the Coleman...would you buy it again? I saw that one last month and it intrigued me. Looks like it folds up nice and can be stowed easily. Does it heat up fast and last question, if cooking chicken or steaks, how long does one bottle of the disposable propane last on it? Thanks.

Old 12-03-2003, 12:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I have a Weber Go-anywhere charcoal grill, which I cannot praise highly enough. They also make a propane version of the same grill - see http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/f...spx?g=1520&t=p . A friend has one for his fiver and says it has been very satisfactory.

Note the dimensions: 12.25" deep, 14.4" tall, 21" long. With the lid on, and fastened, it will juuuusssst squeeze through the exterior storage door on my '85 Sovereign. It is so tight, I have taken to putting it away by putting in the bottom part first, then putting on the top inside the storage compartment.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 12:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Yes, I really like it.

I have used it most with either our trailer tank or a spare home BBQ 20lb tank...the kind you trade in when empty. I have used it with the small propane canisters, but have never run out so I don't know how long one would last.

It folds up nicely and you can get a heavy duty nylon bag with wheels to tote it around... I haven't weighed it to know how much it weighs...but it is kinda heavy so I would suggest that accessory.

It seems to heat up quickly and is pretty easy to clean...depending on what you have cooked, of course.

As I recall, it comes with only (1) grill & (1) griddle as standard...I ordered an additional grill, griddle & grate for maximum flexibility. I think sometimes Sam's Club or Costco has packaged deals with additional accessories, but we couldn't find one of the deals when we purchased ours.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 12-03-2003, 12:39 PM   #9
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Have you considered dutch oven cooking? I started doing this a couple of months ago and the results have been very good much to my surprise (my culinary reputation precedes me)!

You place hot charcoal on the top and bottom of the dutch oven (number of briquettes determines the oven's temperature) and let it sit.

I also take a small Ol' Pal charcoal grill that I've had for about 10 yrs. It has a cool retro look to it.

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 12:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Before we got the Coleman (affectionately nicknamed "the Road Kill Grill"), we used the Weber Go-Anywhere Grill. It's great for a couple of people, but the Coleman is better for group BBQs, like at a small rally or with friends. The best feature is that you can grill on one side & put a pot on the grate on the other so I don't have to run in & out of the trailer when preparing a meal. At our last rally, we prepared chili dogs for about 25 people for lunch one day quite easily...dogs on one side & chili pot on the other.

I first used one of these at the Rocky Mountain AirstreamForum.com gathering (it was Les Gilliam's) we cooked Grand Marnier French Toast for about 25 people...you could fit about 10-12 slices on it at once. I fell in love & had to have one! The rest is history ~

<sales pitch over>

Shari

Old 12-03-2003, 12:55 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Look at camping world for a small portable holland grill. they are expensive($300.00) but worth the price. I have the home and portable version and love both. they are stainless and a good product.
it cooks very evenly does not flare up and it's pretty well impossible to burn anything. Runs of small propane cylinders or I bought the adapter hose from camping world and hook to 20lb cylinder.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 01:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Shari makes a good point - size does matter. The Weber Go-anywhere grills are great if cooking for two to four people. But if you need surface area, there are better choices.

For me, the big plus was being able to keep it stored in the coach - one less thing to have to pack up when leaving on a trip.

A sort of in-between size I have heard good things about is the Weber Smokey Joe series. Have not used one myself.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 02:07 PM   #13
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Having owned a Weber "The Performer" for many years now ... I am a big time fan of Weber, the use of charcoal and indirect cooking.

The grill size of my unit is 22.5 inches ... but this unit is for home .. not for the road.

So the best Weber I can find ... fo me .. would be the Smokey Joe Platinum with the 18.5 inch grill.

I'm also considering going whole hog and getting a 22 1/2-inch One-Touch Gold. I'm going to have to take a look at one and see how much of a hassle it is to break it down.

The reason I want a 22.5 inch grill ... Weber makes a Wok insert .. which would be perfect to own. I would rather do this type of cooking outside ... woks can generate a lot of odor.

On edit: Never mind. I just discovered that Weber also makes an 18.5" Wok insert. Looks like I'm going with the Smokey Joe Platinum.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 02:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

size

After years of telling my wife that size does not matter, how can I now tell her that does not apply to grills.

Old 12-03-2003, 02:16 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

cheaper works too!

Was given a Charbroil 187 sq. inch cookerwhich is a small bottle grill and a hose conversion as a gift and for a cheap unit it has been remarkably good for a couple of people...supplemented by a George Foreman grill. Very small and portable...probably not what I would have bought initially but it does the job well for me...I believe about 30/35 dollars most anywhere...lol..jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Let me add a vote for the Coleman Road Trip grill, which came with one grill and one griddle insert. We bought an extra grill insert, a stove insert, and the carrying case. This was on recommendation from one of my friends in the Winnebago club.

So far, it's replaced the old Char-Broil on the deck at the house. I was surprised to get five 30-40 minute cooking sessions on one little bottle with both burners going on medium.

It has a LOT of heating capacity to go with all that space... I've had the grill loaded up with burgers and brats, and it didn't take any longer than for a few. I'm told that extra heating capacity makes a big difference at higher altitude, where the Thermos Grill-To-Go can take forever.

NOTHING sticks to the grill or griddle. Easy to wipe clean.

It isn't perfect.

The water pan is a great idea, until you try to balance it and keep from spilling water (and nasty grease) when removing it. My friend told me to forget about the water, and just spray the pan with PAM. That's what they do. I tried it and it's GREAT!

The stand is a bit tedious to fold out and "assemble"... more annoying than a problem. But you don't have to use the stand if you have a picnic table. The stand does have adjustable feet for unlevel ground.

It's a fairly large unit, but we have plenty of truck bed, so that isn't an issue.

In summary, it's probably overkill for just two people, but if you like to party with a bunch of others over, it's really hard to beat.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Magma 14-1/2" dia. propane grill

I use the small size (14-1/2" diameter) stainless steel grill by Magma, available at West Marine. It mounts outside my 64 Globe Trotter just aft of the door (under the canopy for rain) and connects to the low pressure side of the large propane tanks on my trailer. In wintertime, I move the socket mount to a table just outside my house back door and hook it up to an old 30 pound propane tank & regulator, then grill. I like the small size and relative portability. It can be seen here:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=49613
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:59 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
We use a Weber tabletop "Clone" we got at a discount store for $12. I also bought a butane powered single burner hotplate for $17 on Ebay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	butane.jpg
Views:	1039
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	4016  
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 08:56 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Back up the thread aways, Brad mentioned the TEC grill listed in the Williams&Sonoma catalog. The price has come down a little to $419!

I've had a fullsize version of the TEC for a number of years and can vouch that it's a great grill. It's a breeze to use thanks to it's innovative design and it gets the job done fast without many flare-ups. I like that in a grill!

Pricey, but very nice...

-Dallas
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 08:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Check out the Woodflame. we have had the Delecto model for about 6 years now and couldn't be happier. Heats up fast, under 2 minutes, cooks hot enough to seal in juces, easy temp control and only burns hard wood chunklets for fuel. Packs into a carry bag. It is a forge principle using D cell batteries to run the fan and 2.75" square hardwood blocks for fuel. We use ours regular and get well over a year on four batteries. The grill is made in Canada and was designed orginally for camping. If you call ask for Karen and tell her Royce sent you. She was very helpful when I called in and had a bunch of questions.

The only dificulity I had was learning to light it. The directions are not as clear as they could be. I can now light it with one match and be cooking in less than two minutes. My mehod is one half sheet of news print crumpled in the bottom of the forge pot, hard wood block ready to drop in. Light paper, turn on the fan on high, drop the block and close up the grid.

No connection just a happy user, YMMV.

Check them out at Woodflame BBQ

Royce
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote