Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #721
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate L View Post
Anyone using one of these? Did a search and didn't find any posts...

Coleman NXT Voyager Grill
Using the new blue search box above, not the old search function in the menu bar:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=_bd....1.rVVeaThucXk
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:58 PM   #722

Spring , Texas
Has anyone tried the Blackstone 22" or 17" griddle?

https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/p...gory/griddles/
GuyJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:28 PM   #723
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
American charcoal & grill

Interesting in how long this thread has lasted.
Speaking of U.S. made charcoal, I like the Kingsford brand. They have a plant in Parsons, West Virginia, manufacturing charcoal since 1958. I have seen that plant in real life.
Back in the 60's & 70's they would receive wood chips and local hardwood into the plant, by rail & truck. They would also shipped out finished product by rail via the Western Maryland RR. CSX pulled the track in 1984, but the plant still makes excellent charcoal and employs over 100 people.
(That's good !)
The grill I use is a small Lodge Sportsman Charcoal grill. Cast iron, like other Lodge products, made in the USA.
Its small, but once it gets going, it really heats and cooks ! I line the charcoal area with aluminum foil, and then when done, you pick up that aluminum foil, contain the charcoal ash. You can dump the ashes in fire ring or just put the ash in trash bag, throw away(I have hauled ashes home for garden) and recycle the aluminum foil.
Clean the top grill area, and its ready to go in its box again for travel, no mess. Done.
Have a good one,
Old 09-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #724
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
. . .
The grill I use is a small Lodge Sportsman Charcoal grill.
. . .
We have also thought about getting one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Sportsm.../dp/B00022OK2A

Are you happy with it still? Years ago we had another grill like this which had more heights possible [further from the coals]. Wish that were possible with the Lodge.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 09-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #725
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Here presented, the “Best” and dare I say, portable grill...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5057898C-BCA8-43F2-BC2F-6BB286B1B77D.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	321454  
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #726
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
San Marcos , California
I have the Weber Q1200 gas grill and I love this thing! I had the larger Q3200, and it was just too big for camping. The new Q1200 is the right size, I can use the small LP gas disposable bottles, however I have a gas hose that connect my grill to a tradition LP gas tank. I like the Weber accessories, and you can always get replacement parts for the Weber, as you might need them.
BlueStreakSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #727

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Peoria , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza View Post
I'm a Big Green Egg guy but I'm ordering one of these for the Airstream. It's very Airstream like!! PK Grills- anyone here have one? Supposed to perform very well. http://www.pkgrills.com/the-new-pk36...ood-shelf-kit/

(and know I did not read all the previous posts to see if it's been discussed.
We just use it in a class at BBQ Islands. I'm thinking it would be good, but I'm also thinking of a GMG.
AuntiePami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:50 AM   #728
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I suggest hedging "You can always get Weber parts". Our over $4,000 Weber top of the line six burner built in grill (2002 dollars) has had failures of two burners with two of the gas valves freezing. The whole manifold has to be replaced. They have no parts. I have searched the internet with the part number to no avail.

Their solution, buy a new Weber $4,000+ grill.

Since the new Weber has different measurements, we would have to rework the masonry.

Mr. Weber will not be the replacement. We will be installing a ceramic Primo Oval G 420 Komado style gas grill.

Pardon the pun: Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #729
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreakSD View Post
I have the Weber Q1200 gas grill and I love this thing!
You have a lot of company.
To me "Best" is a combination of good quality at an affordable price.
A Maybach may be the best car, but if I can't afford it, who cares?
Also, since it's for camping, portability is an issue and also storage.
I'd like the Weber better if they offered a hard, light weight carrying case to minimize crud and bugs.
So far my Weber Smokey Joe is hard to beat.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:18 AM   #730
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyJenn View Post

I have a 17 coming tomorrow. I got one specifically for the Airstream. Theres no way I would cook anything greasy, smokey or stinky in my trailer.

All of that will be done outside on the blackstone.

I will likely use this at home as well to replace a standard grill.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:24 AM   #731
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
I have a 17 coming tomorrow.
. . .
So this is a flat steel griddle right?

https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/p...e-top-griddle/

If you check out the features link, you can get an adaptor to run it off a standard 20-lb. BBQ grill propane tank, which means it can also be connected to the AS low-pressure propane quick-connect port.

Nice!

Peter
Old 09-30-2018, 06:45 AM   #732
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
On a whim I added a 22" Blackstone to my arsenal this spring. It was intended to accompany my Green Egg Mini. On the last trip the Green Egg stayed home. I picked mine up at Wally World last March/April (2018). The 22" with steam cover/lid, with a fold-up table, and propane hose for large bottles. Think it was a package assembled for them. Wally World website show out of stock (Wally World #567278721). Price was just under $150.

During travel it rides on the floor in camper and it's the first thing to come out and the last thing to go in. Need to modify my propane system to add connection outside.

I throughly enjoy the Blackstone griddle.
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:08 AM   #733
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Liberty , North Carolina
We do all our cooking outside on our Olympian 6500 low pressure stainless grill with the addition of a cast iron griddle ! Easy cleanup, no flare ups !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	324064  
B Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #734
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
San Marcos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
I have a 17 coming tomorrow. I got one specifically for the Airstream. Theres no way I would cook anything greasy, smokey or stinky in my trailer.

All of that will be done outside on the blackstone.

I will likely use this at home as well to replace a standard grill.
The Blackstone 17" in on my list too. I saw one in use and the owner demonstrated it for while camping at Big Beal Lake. For this type of grilling, to do it outside of my Airstream is great! It is usually just the two of us, so the 17" is perfectly fine! Mike
BlueStreakSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #735
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Blackstone griddle/grill? Not sure the big hype here?? I use a Q grill from Webber to "grill" my steaks, burgers, etc...the smoke from the flames and drippings adds to the flavor; the top also "melts the cheese" and aids in cooking what ever on the grill...again, what's the big deal? I have the folding table, the storage sack, and it works great.

If I want to use charcoal, I use my Volcano grill which works great also, but most of the time when traveling for a night hear/there, the propane Q grill is the go to for bbq.

Now for a griddle if/when needed, I have an a very nice light weight aluminum coated portable griddle which I use on my Coleman 2 burner propane stove...again, that's for breakfast primarily, when doing bacon, pancakes, etc...where I want a griddle. The griddle and the Coleman take up very little room in my camp box, are very light weight, were pretty inexpensive for what they do, and work great for breakfasts or frying other stuff, when a griddle is needed. There are also griddle options for several of the gas bbq grills if you look on Amazon, if you want to go that rout......
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #736
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I’ve been using a Q for years and love it. A few notes to tack on to Gypsydad’s post...

There is a griddle accessory for the Q. It replaces one grill grate on the grill. I keep it with the grill so that I have both grates and the griddle with me. It’s excellent and has made many great pancakes and other things for my family.

Also, if you have the room, the wheeled folding stand for the Q is great. It doesn’t always come with us but I use it all the time when we picnic.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #737
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dungville next to Donkeytown , Alabama
Best Portable Grill?

Gypsydad how does the Q compare to the Volcano using propane?

You had me down as a damsel?
Darling, I'm the wolf.
Joannadannna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #738
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannadannna View Post
Gypsydad how does the Q compare to the Volcano using propane?
Don't know for sure, since I only have seen it with my friends rig..He says it works ok, but not as good as his original Coleman propane grill; Volcano is smaller of course, but more attachments with the propane. I was thinking same question when I got the Volcano...but I really got the Volcano for the charcoal and chimney since it gets up to pretty high heat and cooks quickly. once I saw how it was used for cooking steaks, had to have this one...maybe overkill trying to carry 2 grills and a Coleman dual burner camp stove, but I got room...!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 12-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #739
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
any model of the Weber Q is good
the large the model number just some small extra features

easy to connect to the AS
just get a low pressure conversion kit. just google to find the parts needed
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #740
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Q

Update..recently had to cook for 10 including grandkids using my Q...way too much of a hassle juggling food and the cleanup this time was a messy job. I decided to re-examine the newer portable grilling options for propane...(I still love my Volcano for charcoal)

After looking at heat control, portability, cleanup options and stable built in folding stand, I ended up getting the Coleman Roadtrip X-Cursion. It has 2 independent burners so I can control heat/cooking and cook for more folks if needed. It also has nice coated cooking grates which are interchangeable with solid flat pancake/bacon type frying griddles from Coleman or even a wok cooking option.

The grill's are designed with solid surface over the burners and slots to flow grease around the burners into removable grease catch bowl inserts; one for each burner You simply add a little water in the catch bowl inserts prior to grilling, and grease drops into the water; when done cooking and grill is cool, simply lift the grill, take out the grease pans-empty, and wipe out. That was a big selling feature and I did look at all the Coleman grills like this, including the 3 burner models. The larger models had a similar system with 3 burners, but it had a one piece larger catch bowl...did not want that. The model below to me, offers a great blend of the things I wanted in a replacment for my Q . I thought the $165 price from Amazon was pretty good, but found it at Lows on Black Friday for $80! Easy assembly with tools included. Reviews were pretty good on Amazon...I have not used it yet, but will use it on our trip to Borrego Springs over New Years and report back!

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Roadt...K0F50WF0ZT4889