Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #581
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
The only reason I am not jumping on the Q1200 is that BGE now makes a carrier for the Mini Egg like the carrier for the MiniMax. The Mini is small but might be good enough for the two of us. Also, the Mini weighs around 35 lbs.

How do you transport your Q1200? Wish Weber still made the duffle bags!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Couldn't decide. We ended up with the Weber Q1200 for our Airstream travels, and Big Green Egg MiniMax for home. Tried the BGE on one long trip but too heavy for convenience, and the ceramic possibly too fragile for extended travel. Probably a great weekender though.
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #582
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We went with the Solaire grill, stand and carrying case as it was very light. We carry it inside the Mercedes. We have a very long propane adapter hose and a propane tank adapter so the grill can be easily accessed and we do not have to carry any additional propane tanks.

In the truck where weight is not the issue, we carry both propane and a Weber Q2200.

These are two very different grilling styles, to put it mildly.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #583
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
I too have the Solaire. I made the mistake of ordering the low pressure hose and valve from Solaire in order to use the quick connect on the Airstream. It does work, but lacks the heat intensity of the standard LP setup. So, the moral to the story is, chasing technology is not always best. Switz, when you cook that Porterhouse on the Solaire, take it off 10 degrees lower than your target "doneness" wrap it I in foil, let it rest for 10 mins.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #584
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I use Alton Brown's method on my Solaire for rib-eyes. 2 min. then turn 90 deg. Flip. Repeat above. Remove and let it rest 5 min.

Perfect medium every time for the last 16 years. 😄

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #585
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
I'm with you Lew. Perfect every time on the Solare

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #586
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
After reading thru many of the comments on this thread, old and new, (and including my earlier post) I'm thinking simple is good. Could there possibly be anything better than a Lodge cast-iron grill pan? Best non-stick ever, easy to clean, can be used anywhere (campfire or campstove), and lasts forever. I think I'll get mine back from my younger daughter.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #587
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
The Solaire's get panned by a lot of their owners (see Amazon ratings), and is a very expensive unit. Given the many poor reviews primarily focused on bad customer service and not honoring the warranty, just get a Weber Q1200 and be done with it.

You can make yourself crazy researching every possible portable cooker...

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #588
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Exactly! I am not a big fab of IR on grills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
The Solaire's get panned by a lot of their owners (see Amazon ratings), and is a very expensive unit. Given the many poor reviews primarily focused on bad customer service and not honoring the warranty, just get a Weber Q1200 and be done with it.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #589
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post

Gee….never had a problem in 16 years of use. bought a new 'element' a couple of years ago along with a new inner grill and got it right from the manufacturer no problem!

Expensive? Depends on your perceived value. I wouldn't trade mine for anything else out there….. with the possible exception of a bigger one for the house!

Some folks simply can't get used to the 'different' style of grilling that an infrared grill requires. Not a thing wrong with the units………maybe the buyers?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #590
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Yes. My comment is focused on just not being used to cooking with IR since I have been using a BGE and regular grill for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

Gee….never had a problem in 16 years of use. bought a new 'element' a couple of years ago along with a new inner grill and got it right from the manufacturer no problem!

Expensive? Depends on your perceived value. I wouldn't trade mine for anything else out there….. with the possible exception of a bigger one for the house!

Some folks simply can't get used to the 'different' style of grilling that an infrared grill requires. Not a thing wrong with the units………maybe the buyers?
Old 03-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #591
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I needed a very light weight grill that was compact and the Solaire fits the bill exactly. The propane tank adapter creates the same fitting found on the one pound Coleman gas tanks. So the Solaire regulator takes care of the regulation of the grill's incoming propane coming from the 23D's 30 pound tanks.

The front "propane grill" outlet on the streets side front of the Airstream can be used to run my Honda 2,000 watt generator converted to propane only.

I initially acquired the Q2200 Weber for the 31' Classic with the Dodge 2500HD where weight was not an issue.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:10 PM   #592
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
So if I want to use the front "propane grill" outlet on the streets side front of the Airstream for my gas grill what are my options? Most of the grills I look at (Weber Q1200, Solaire etc) seem to have the options of a disposable propane tank or an extension hose that would direct connect to the 30lb propane tank. I believe you also need to bypass the regulator on the grill because you already have a regulated flow from the AS. Is that right?

Same applies for a gas heater. We use at home a Mr Heater that sits directly on top of a propane tank. Is there an external heater that I can direct connect to the propane on the AS? Welcome any advice.
Tarcoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #593
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
We have the Coleman NXT lite grill and do not like it. It is hard to keep clean and doesn't heat evenly. Bought the Coleman "fold & go" grill to replace it. Like it a lot bet and very easy to keep clean.
Texan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #594
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Wood is perhaps my favorite to cook on which requires some skill and finesse. Seconded would be charcoal using coconut charcoal.

Propane is convenient and easy, so I have a Weber Q1200. IR looks interesting but I suspect flavor wise it's not different from propane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

Sometimes companies don't make things the way they used to. But some brands never change.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #595
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Wood is perhaps my favorite to cook on which requires some skill and finesse. Seconded would be charcoal using coconut charcoal.
I'm normally allergic to coconut, but I've eaten foods cooked over coconut charcoal in my Cobb Grill with no adverse effects. I like the stuff as fuel for my Cobb because it lights easily, burns hotter— and longer— than charcoal, and leaves less of a mess to clean up when it burns out. But it ain't cheap.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #596
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Now i know each of us has our own favorite grill for camping and as I mentioned in an earlier post last year I purchased the TEC Cherokee Infrared Grill. Over the years I have used the fire pit, my old but reliable coleman to burner gas stove, a Cobb grill and now the TEK which has now become my go to camping grill. IMO the TEK, although expensive, is by far the best I have used camping. I love the fact that it can get very very hot like 600 to 700 degrees and also low low temps for cooking eggs etc. When not camping I keep it on our deck and use it along with my BGEs and MAK Pellet grill.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:14 AM   #597
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Now i know each of us has our own favorite grill for camping and as I mentioned in an earlier post last year I purchased the TEC Cherokee Infrared Grill. Over the years I have used the fire pit, my old but reliable coleman to burner gas stove, a Cobb grill and now the TEK which has now become my go to camping grill. IMO the TEK, although expensive, is by far the best I have used camping. I love the fact that it can get very very hot like 600 to 700 degrees and also low low temps for cooking eggs etc. When not camping I keep it on our deck and use it along with my BGEs and MAK Pellet grill.
Funny, we tried one of these and finally just stopped using it. I have it in the shop waiting for a cleanup so that I can sell it...
Maybe we simply never mastered its use but we soooo prefer hauling out the MiniMax for cooking.
I even got the company to replace our first Cherokee as it seemed not to get hot enough. Some things cooked fine on the Tec, but others...
Glad to know you like it!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:18 AM   #598
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Bruce
I had the similar problem with the Cobb. I never really mastered it and like your TEC mine also sits in my garage waiting for me to clean it and give to one of my kids.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:11 AM   #599
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I had the similar problem with the Cobb.
The secret to success with a Cobb is, don't think of it as a grill. Think of it as a charcoal oven. You're not really grilling with it so much as you're baking or broiling with it. There's a reason why it's marketed as "kitchen in a bag."
Old 03-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #600
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The Cobb is new to me -- here is some Cobb Salad to munch on FYI:

Cobb Salad

http://www.cobbglobal.com/cobb/

Looks pretty neat . . . and efficient.

PS Protagonist does the grill grid cooking surface get hot enough to put a sear on steaks first? Thanks
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote