Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #361
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
That's a disappointment. I hope they'll stay in business up here in the north, best portable grill I've ever head the pleasure of using.

I wonder what happened, there's no announcement on their website. Thanks to the interweb, ordering parts from wherever they do stay in business should always be possible.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #362
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I asked via email and was told that Cobbq/Cobb America (includes Canada) is closing. Cobb International (South Africa) is remaining open. Parts and warranty service will be available thru them. Shipping cost will be the deal breaker as far as I am concerned. I went ahead and placed an order for a few odds and ends including the rubber bumpers that have been known to melt. I will continue to use my Cobb until it falls apart and than move on to something else. The Cobb is so well designed and built that I think that will be many years down the road.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #363
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Another vote for the Weber Go Grill. $60 on Amazon, and I was thrilled with speed, size, and awesome flavor. It smokes without high flame which seems to be the secret on how the meat stays so tender. I have a $1500 grill at home, and wasn't at all let down by this gem of a portable grill. Cleans up reasonably easy, too.

Need to find a quick disconnect solution to use the AS LP external connector.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #364
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We use the Weber Q120 and are pleased with it. I can use either the small green propane tanks or my spare 20 pound propane tank.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #365
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
So it looks like the green end goes to an LP tank and the brass end goes to the weber (where the propane bottle normally hooks up). But what if you want to use the quick disconnect hookup on the newer airstream? Do you need another type of adapter?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #366
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Did some "binging" tonite and found this article, which seems to nail it as to what is required to hook a propane grill intended for canisters up to the quick disconnect LP port on the airstream.

Looks like you need to remove the regulator on the grill, and replace with a t-fitting with a quick disconnect that let's you bypass the regulator, then use a quick disconnect hose.

Not sure the weber hose on amazon will work, unless you merely intend on connecting to a spare 5lb propane tank.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:32 AM   #367
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I asked via email and was told that Cobbq/Cobb America (includes Canada) is closing. Cobb International (South Africa) is remaining open. Parts and warranty service will be available thru them. Shipping cost will be the deal breaker as far as I am concerned. I went ahead and placed an order for a few odds and ends including the rubber bumpers that have been known to melt. I will continue to use my Cobb until it falls apart and than move on to something else. The Cobb is so well designed and built that I think that will be many years down the road.
Good to know, thanks. I'll do the same.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #368
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
There is one glaring problem with that article. When you remove the regulator from your grill you are still going to want a valve on the grill to adjust flame height for different foods. Most marine grill manufacturers market a low pressure valve replacement to give you adjustment and shutoff capability at the grill because many boaters want to connect their grill on the low pressure side.
I do not know whether Weber markets a low pressure replacement valve for its regulator replacement and I would be wary of just removing the regulator and installing a disconnect.
I have a Dickinson marine grill with the low pressure kit on mine so I use it connected to my AS outside propane connection. I have gas quick disconnects on the grill and hose.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #369
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I do not believe that anyone has mentioned the regular-sized Weber Smokey Joe. They are small, very portable, easy to clean, and they work. However, if you overload the charcoal in it, you will have problems keeping the coals going with the lid on. Duh, I finally read the manual, and for direct grilling, they recommend 30 charcoal briquettes. I had probably been cramming 45 into it. Check it out.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #370
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
I do not believe that anyone has mentioned the regular-sized Weber Smokey Joe. They are small, very portable, easy to clean, and they work. However, if you overload the charcoal in it, you will have problems keeping the coals going with the lid on. Duh, I finally read the manual, and for direct grilling, they recommend 30 charcoal briquettes. I had probably been cramming 45 into it. Check it out.
That's one reason I still like, and still use, my Cobb even though the company closed its doors. Never needed more than a dozen briquettes for any meal I've prepared with it.

But my Cobb will eventually wear out, and when it's gone, there ain't no more. So I'll have to keep the Smokey Joe in mind.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #371
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
I vote for the Cobb as best grill. But as others have noted Cobb is closing it's doors here. So, I too will see what's available now and submit an order for minor items. I have the entire outfit and accessories, even use the wok in my apartment kitchen. It works great for stir fry.
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #372
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
Weber Jumbo Joe is the best portable for me hands down. I am very much a grill guy and prefer charcoal to propane. The jumbo Joe offers as much space as a large weber 18.5 charcoal but in a short smokey Joe style. It travels with me for tailgates and camping anywhere. Smokey Joe is just a little too small for me but the jumbo works perfect and is only around 50$.

If you guys like to smoke meat they just brought back the small 14.5 weber smokey mountian. Perfect to smoke pork or ribs for 2 to 4 people.
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #373
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks for info, Costal.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #374
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I use charcoal chunks at home with my Big Green Egg, but on the road I want more convenience and have a Weber 220 (now 2200), the lowest priced with a thermometer. I run the 16 oz bottles on the road, and refill them at home from my 20 gallon. The unit works really well, not as hot as the BGE can do, but pretty good. It also just fits in my back storage area. I also bought the cart, but only used it once, would not buy it again.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #375

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd View Post
I vote for the Cobb as best grill. But as others have noted Cobb is closing it's doors here. So, I too will see what's available now and submit an order for minor items. I have the entire outfit and accessories, even use the wok in my apartment kitchen. It works great for stir fry.
Glad I'm not the only one who still loves my COBB. I wish I'd gotten the accessories though. They were always a little high-priced for my taste. But I like the grill a lot, and still use it every summer. I clean it after each use, and don't see any reason to expect it will wear out anytime soon.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #376
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
YES! I use it on vacation daily for 7-8 or 9 weeks. Cobb is versatile.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #377
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
So it looks like the green end goes to an LP tank and the brass end goes to the weber (where the propane bottle normally hooks up). But what if you want to use the quick disconnect hookup on the newer airstream? Do you need another type of adapter?
So after a lengthy effort to hook the Weber up to my quick disconnect on the AS, I concluded it was easier to just buy a 5lb portable tank, using the Weber 6501 kit with a 2way tee accessory to hook up the Weber and my little red campfire at the same time. Works great.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:58 AM   #378
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We have the Weber 220 in both the UK and the trailer/truck when camping. On Sundays over here in the UK, I cook either a leg of lamb or 7 to 8 pound rib eye roast to relieve my sister-in-law of the Sunday dinner preparation she does every week for her mother-in-law for the last 15 years (since the stroke left her paralyzed on the right side of the body and loss of vocabulary.

There is a learning curve when trying to cook in 40 degree F weather with lots of wind blowing and raining cats and dogs.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #379
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
I just checked on Amazon, they have four
Lokkii Single Use Solid Charcoal Blocks, 4-Pack (Discontinued by Manufacturer). Get them while you can!
$12.99 each.
Mockinbrd
Old 02-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #380
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thank you ended up buying last four packs
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote