Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #141
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Review the grills on the Campchef.com website. Have bought 3 for the club. I have a dealer relationship with them and can get you a 25% discount. Very durable,US made, compact storage, with travel bag. They have all sizes and configurations. Drop ship to your location. PM me if you are interested.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:22 PM   #142
Addicted to Road Trips!

1953 21' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
1949 18' Trailwind
Broomfield , Colorado
Grills

I use the Holland Grill, sold at Camping World. It's very much like the $300 grill mentioned in an earlier post but is much cheaper. Looks about the same and cooks with the same idea, indirect heat. I love it and have had it for 4 years!

Patti
Pearl54FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefields
i am looking for a small portable grill that will fold down...yet be tall enough to cook on when legs up.....easy clean and that will work with small propane bottles...
lee
(I am combining this thread with the older one on gas grills.)
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #144
Rosie the Riveted

1975 27' Overlander
Balfour , BC
Marine Force 10

Before we got our AS, we always rented out our beach-front house by the week in summer and lived on our Bayliner. Like you, I don't like cooking in the galley, so we barbecue almost every day. At the end of the summer we would have to throw out the cheap bbq. We just replaced the yucky cheap one on our boat with a stainless steel Marine Force 10, which is designed for boat use but perfect for the trailer as well.

Very efficient, wind-proof---took us a few tries to realize that you can actually cook on "low"!!--streamlined. We paid about $200 Cdn through Massey Marine in Vancouver, but West Marine also has them.
Ken and Janice
Ken & Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:54 PM   #145
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
The best I have come across

is this one:
http://www.rasmussen.biz/grills/portG.html
It's expensive, but the food is so unbelievably good, that it's well worth the money. Plus, it cooks very fast and even.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #146
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
here's my Q, Force 10 marine bbq, about 15 years old. Stainless and teak.
Attached Images

gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:01 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
We have a Weber go anywhere propane. works great and doesn't cost so much that would make me afraid to leave it on the picnic table while we're gone. Thought about one of the the more expensive but hate the thought of putting it away every time we leave our campsite---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #148
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
As reported earlier in this thread we had an infrared grill from frontage but it was too hot! we burned more food and never really made friends with it. last year we got a Napoleon Freestyle propane grill that came with a cool attachment to mount on the hitch receiver - love this grill!!! It comes in both infrard and regular burner - we got the regular burner... no more burnt offerings (well not many)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freestyle_Food.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	24538  

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #149
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Cobb Grill

The Cobb grill is a great grill. It is lightweight,takes very little charcoal, stays cool to the touch on the outside, and stores easily. It does a great job grilling and smoking. I have found that adding water to the moat after cooking ,and while the coals are stiil hot, then putting the lid on creates steam and makes the interior very easy to clean.
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #150
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Aurora , Colorado
Just returned from a short trip that included our first use of the "Broil King Porta Chef" from Camping World ($150.00 +/- including carry case & freight).

I installed a tee off my main gas supply and added a quick-connect w/ a 12' hose (Home Depot) in order to do away with additional gas cans (already carry 66# of propane).

Whole rig worked well. The grill fires up HOT, has accurate controls, is stable and cooks enough meat for a party of eight. Set-up, clean-up and break-down were easy.

We're pleased with our choice.

Neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Holland

To echo a previous post, you can't beat the holland. Check it out here.
http://www.hollandgrill.com/index.cf...ID/2/index.htm
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:58 AM   #152
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
We use a Weber Q at home, using bigger tanks then the little thing it comes with. It's pretty light but has a really durable, cast grate. We've been using it for almost 3 years to make bacon and stuff that we don't want to smell in the house- I'd get one for the AS, and I love the idea of having a tee and just plugging it into the AS gas system.

Peter
Old 10-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #153
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Tin Hut-

Before you off spending your steak money on a grill and then having no money left for steak I suggest you beck out the Webber Baby-Q Grill. Now don't laugh, because it is a really great little grill! If fits perfect on one of those little folding aluminum tables, hooks right up to our LP tanks and does a really fine job on the steaks. Has a great little drip pan holder o the bottom that doesn't fall out and you can even get over for it when storing in the back of your TV. Sells for around $120.00 and we took our out everynight on this years summer trip of 6,500 miles and never a worry or problem.

And by the way, I like mine a little bit on the well done side!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:59 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Weber Baby-Q

I had a Weber Go-Anywhere grill for about 5 years and it was good, but the flame would blow out in windy condtions and seemed like it would never get hot enough to sear.

I recently traded up to a Weber Baby-Q and I absolutely love it. It takes small propane bottles, but I use mine with an adaptor for a standard propane tank. It has a nice cast grill that retains the heat better than the standard steel wire type grill. It also has a tapered bottom to allow grease to drain into a disposable pan. Something the Go-Anywhere grill was lacking.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:06 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I've had the original Coleman RoadTrip grill since it came out 3-4 years ago. It's a very versitile unit. Basicly they took their two burner propane stove and made it so that it could do double duty as a grill. The burners are the exact same as the stove but the base has a removable pan that you fill with water. This helps keep food moist and makes clean-up a snap. Someone gave me the tip to add a couple of drops of dish detergent to the water which makes it even easier. The grill surface is two halfs that can be changed out to create variations where one side is a grill and the other is a griddle or stove ring for cooking just like the standard propane stove.

As far as a straight grill it's not up to the same standard as the Weber or others mentioned here. It's appeal for me is that it does so many different things. Also since it's two burners are independent you only use half the propane when you only need half the grill which is 90% of the time for us. I've recently started using one of the smoker boxes which does require both burners. That works pretty well but I'm still learning the ins and outs of that.

DON'T buy the LXE model generically know as "the red RoadTrip and the one they sell at CampingWorld. The procelain grills I don't think will be as good as the non-stick aluminum on the blue model and, from what I've been told you aren't supposed to use it with the top down. No idea why they say this, in my manual for the blue grill it's recommended and essential in wind or to slow cook something. The top is my major beef with the design. They didn't make it tall enough and on the red model it's even worse. According to the Coleman site a few months back the LXE was being discontinued (don't see that now but I'd beware).

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #156
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
Prior to my AS I had a power boat. The grill I had from the boat works just great with the AS. All stainless and all parts are replaceable if you happen to loose, break or wear out. It uses disposable bottles and is not interchangable with charcoal usage. It is made by Magma and is available at marine stores such as: www.westmarine.com. It breaks down quick and easy so it is easy to store.
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:21 PM   #157
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I like the weber Q and the Fire & Ice Grill. If you want small go with the weber Q.
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:04 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I like the Baby Q. I have had food grilled on it at several rallies. But here and those owners as well mentioned that they cannot clean the bottom well and it does hold odors. Have any of you owners found ways to minimize that for storage? I keep the grill in the AS.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:21 AM   #159
Craftsman

We also use the baby-Q and it's a great little grill especially with the light weight stand that folds down for transport. They do make a carry bag with wheels for transport and storage. Not super easy to clean under the burner tubes though. We like it so much that I keep it on the deck right out side the back door for grilling year round. The much larger Weber has been moved farther down on our property for summer use.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:22 AM   #160
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Don't know if I responded to this one yet, but I am also a big baby Q fan. I even got the LP tank connector hose so that I don't have to keep buying those little tanks each time...plus I can run my propane gen from the same 20lb tank (or the supply on the Airstream if I wanted).

Charcoal has a great taste, there is no question IMHO, but the Q series grills by Weber really have IMHO done a great job at bringing a great cooking device to market.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote