Old 09-13-2004, 12:05 PM   #85
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
[QUOTE=cosmotini]I'm just posting this for anyone still looking for a grill. I don't have any knowledge of this grill but it looks similar to the Holland.]

Thanx so much for the link - that's a great price on that grill!

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:05 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
as they say here in the South "y'alls awesome!".
Great ideas. Surprised no on mentioned the Thermos Grill 2 Go. Saw it at Camping World, and it looks much like the coleman road trip with the legs and all but is 40 or 50 bucks less. Thanks all.
What do you think about this ne a new George Foreman that looks very airstreamish. Maybe Airstream should commission a grill that looks like a trailer, you crack it open and the grill is inside. I get design credit if this one flies
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=211385

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:14 PM   #87

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
That's the Solaire. At $300 retail (though that link gives a great reduced price!) and it's silvery stainless steel surface... I
FYI, it also looks pretty slick to me, along with its tripod stand. Note that the one described at the low price looks much like its an older version out of production unit. I really don't know what enhancements have been made with the newer models, but I have seen some sites that are selling both. Keep me posted if you buy one.

I'm looking to replace my old Wal-Mart special. It does nothing but rattle from road vibration and the ceramic brickets slide from side to side. I like the fast cook time on the Solaire.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 02:01 PM   #88
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but one of the downside issues with the Baby Q is that it won't accept the more popular 16oz. propane bottles but instead needs the longer skinny 14 oz bottles.

Jack
We just purchased the BabyQ and it cooks great, no charring with nice pretty grill marks...better job than our more pricey Ducane home grill!

For the bottles, our neighbor at a campsite suggested removing the skinny bottle holder to accept the fatter 16oz size and they just screwed right in with no adaptor and work fine. If this is a no-no somebody please chime in here!

Barbara
Old 09-14-2004, 03:03 PM   #89
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
We purchased a "Toolbox Grill" (http://www.toolboxgrill.com/) receently to take with us when we travel. It is about $69 at Camping World but I've seen it on the Internet for ~$49. The grill gets good and hot, heats fairly evenly, and seems to do a good job grilling. In addition, all of the accessories (gas canister, spatula, lighter, etc.) can store down inside the grill.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:54 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am stil looking, the choices are many! Anyone use the Thane? Its the one that kinda looks like a rocketship? It won design awards, but I wonder how well it cooks and whether the gas cylinders are easily replaced. We mainly cook burgers, chicken, dogs and fish like tuna or salmon steak. No real steaks or ribs or such so mydemands are a bit lighter in grill performance. My little grill has been somewhat ok for us, but it is really spotty on the heat control. I saw it on sale at an auto parts place for 10 bucks..so it is a cheapie.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:53 AM   #91
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Personally I too prefer the taste of wood grilled meat, but when you pull into a site at 10-11 at night I don't feel like messing with the fire. So we bought a TEC Cherokee that cooks from an infrared panel. The grates are u shaped so that they catch the juice and cook them back into the meat. Supposedly it cooks at 1,400 degress when on high and very little flare ups. The case is stainless and latches closed for easy transport. It can use either the small bottle gas or run off a regular size tank. It seems to run forever on fuel. Like I said - it's not charcoal but when seasoned right the food tastes great.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:39 AM   #92
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Overlander
Personally I too prefer the taste of wood grilled meat, but when you pull into a site at 10-11 at night I don't feel like messing with the fire. So we bought a TEC Cherokee that cooks from an infrared panel. The grates are u shaped so that they catch the juice and cook them back into the meat. Supposedly it cooks at 1,400 degress when on high and very little flare ups. The case is stainless and latches closed for easy transport. It can use either the small bottle gas or run off a regular size tank. It seems to run forever on fuel. Like I said - it's not charcoal but when seasoned right the food tastes great.
Hey, are there any drawbacks to the TEC you've noticed thus far? I'd love to hear a bit more about your experience with the Cherokee.

I saw a demonstration of a big mama TEC the other day - it looked fantastic. I also took a closer look at the Solaire, which makes the model sold in the FrontGate link courtesy of Cosmotini. The Solaire works on all the same principles, but seems to be made of slightly thinner guage steel, probably has fewer features, etc. That explains why it costs far less than the Cherokee, but I'm always up to spending double if it's worth it.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:57 AM   #93
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Jsut to quickly update my update... Just looked again at the infrared Solaire-built FrontGate model: It's down to $109. With the Solaire-brand badge, it's $300. The TEC, with extremely similar features, size, construction and capabilities (BTUs, etc.) costs $520 ...that's the cheapest I could find.

So... I just ordered one. They told me on the phone it's a close-out item, so it may even go cheaper, or stay at $109 until they're gone. Either way, it's a neat little grill, and will look wonderful next to the dull shine of any Airstream.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:04 PM   #94
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
Paradise , Texas
Quote:
Jsut to quickly update my update... Just looked again at the infrared Solaire-built FrontGate model: It's down to $109. With the Solaire-brand badge, it's $300. The TEC, with extremely similar features, size, construction and capabilities (BTUs, etc.) costs $520 ...that's the cheapest I could find.

So... I just ordered one. They told me on the phone it's a close-out item, so it may even go cheaper, or stay at $109 until they're gone. Either way, it's a neat little grill, and will look wonderful next to the dull shine of any Airstream.
There I go again - losing good money for lack of homework. I had no idea there was another outfit similar to the TEC. I do love the TEC - it lights, heats up and cooks extremely fast with minimal fuel usage. The food is always extremely juicy. Believe me - if the Solaire is 109 and cooks using infrared - the difference in the outer casing is minimal. If anything, that is the one thing I don't like about the Cherokee is that the stainless case makes it weigh about 40 lbs. Good luck. I'm going to go look at the Solaire right now. I know a couple of people it would make a great gift for.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Old 09-16-2004, 01:17 PM   #95
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Overlander
There I go again - losing good money for lack of homework. I had no idea there was another outfit similar to the TEC. I do love the TEC - it lights, heats up and cooks extremely fast with minimal fuel usage. The food is always extremely juicy. Believe me - if the Solaire is 109 and cooks using infrared - the difference in the outer casing is minimal. If anything, that is the one thing I don't like about the Cherokee is that the stainless case makes it weigh about 40 lbs. Good luck. I'm going to go look at the Solaire right now. I know a couple of people it would make a great gift for.
I wouldn't feel too bad, 'Lander. Your Cherokee will last a lifetime, and what little I've read makes it seem like it has a smooth glass surface inside. If so, that makes it infinitely easier to clean than mine. To stay clear, I think my Frontgate model is a re-branding from the original manufacturer, called Suntyme - which sells for around $250 - $300, just like the Solaire which is probably just another re-brand.

But since they're all the same inside, the Frontgate is the best price anywhere online for an infrared grill.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:24 PM   #96
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
Paradise , Texas
Quote:
I wouldn't feel too bad, 'Lander. Your Cherokee will last a lifetime, and what little I've read makes it seem like it has a smooth glass surface inside. If so, that makes it infinitely easier to clean than mine. To stay clear, I think my Frontgate model is a re-branding from the original manufacturer, called Suntyme - which sells for around $250 - $300, just like the Solaire which is probably just another re-brand.

But since they're all the same inside, the Frontgate is the best price anywhere online for an infrared grill.
Your right about that! I just ordered one for my sister. Mine doesn't have the glass panel on the inside. It has the infrared ceramic panel in the bottom with a stainless mesh above it. The cooking grill is a heavy stainless grate where the grates are u shaped and inverted so as to catch the juices and steam them back into the food. They are pretty easy to keep clean though. Had I know a few months back I would definately have gone the Solaire way. Anyway thanks for the tip - it just made the perfect gift.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Old 09-16-2004, 01:53 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I am stil looking, the choices are many! Anyone use the Thane? Its the one that kinda looks like a rocketship? It won design awards, but I wonder how well it cooks and whether the gas cylinders are easily replaced. We mainly cook burgers, chicken, dogs and fish like tuna or salmon steak. No real steaks or ribs or such so mydemands are a bit lighter in grill performance. My little grill has been somewhat ok for us, but it is really spotty on the heat control. I saw it on sale at an auto parts place for 10 bucks..so it is a cheapie.
That's what we have. It works fine for what you want to cook. It even has an optional ($20) griddle insert that gives you a flat surface to cook bacon, eggs, sausage, etc. The surface area is small but it cooks pretty well and is very portable. I set ours on a small folding table kind of like a tv tray and it's at a good height.

Dennis
Old 09-17-2004, 09:50 AM   #98
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
I'm just posting this for anyone still looking for a grill. I don't have any knowledge of this grill but it looks similar to the Holland.

http://www.frontgate.com/fg/pdp.jsp?...ning&k=XX23385
Dennis
Dennis,
Thanks for the link. I had not heard of these and already bought the Olympian which I thought was the best for the price. I could not afford (want to pay for) a $300 - 700 SS grill.

But keeping up with the posts picked up my interest and I did some research. I just talked to several reps and placed the order for this infrared grill. The rep said all the infrared sizes were really selling, and he was even taken back by the $109 + S&H price on this one. Doing a google search showed the next best price was $195 by some other knockoff brand.

Only downside I could find is that they don't cook on low too well. Most of the time I'm trying to get my other grills HOT enough! Also probably best to store inside.

Thanks for the info. Any successful users of the infrared?

Steve in Sav'h