Old 07-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #645
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Looks interesting but would take up a lot of room including the BaseCamp grill and options IMO.

Not cheap at $375-475 incl. options, tax and shipping +/-.

http://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/biolite-basecamp

https://www.amazon.com/BioLite-006-6...ergy+base+camp

Old 07-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #646
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
Trying out a New Pizza Oven

We recently decided to buy a portable pizza oven to take on the road. Its called Roccbox and we bought it through the original crowd funding program, although you can now order one through their web site. You can use gas or wood, heats up to 900 degrees (500 degrees C) in 15 minutes. We like the portability, design, fuel options, and besides mouthwatering fresh pizza, we can also cook fish, meats and vegetables.

We should receive ours in a couple of weeks and will write a review then and add a couple of photos.

https://www.roccbox.com/

Old 07-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #647
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
Tarcoola, please do ...
Old 07-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #648
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Portable grills.. We have tried several over the past 10 years with our AS, but have come back to the OGrill with storage bag and OGrill table. If you line the grill with foil, it cleans up pretty good and works pretty good. We recently visited with "Photobum", up in Green Creek, CA area (beautiful"free" boon-docking sites, in this area, by the way) and Photobum had a Volcano he used to cook our steaks which was impressive. Cooked with very little charcoal, and got to 600+ degrees, stayed hot for at least an hour, and seared our steaks in 3 min per side, almost over done but great flavor! The Volcano seems very versatile, folds up fairly compact, takes propane or charcoal, and has a cover if you want to enclose your larger cuts of meats. We have been using natural fire's in the "camp fire" rings with cooking grates with just a stainless slotted cooking tray on top for smoke cooking, when we do not want to use the OGrill...but the Volcano has my attention for my next grill replacement.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #649
1 Rivet Member

Las vegas , Nevada
Weber Q vs NXR comparison

I use the portable a lot because I don't like food smells in places I have to sleep (esp if camping in presence of bears). I have both the Weber Q and the NXR (sold in Costco). Weber Q isn't doing so well after a few years but was good new. I'm sure I could spend another $25 to replace the burner part and extend the life but I never liked the push button starter and the fact that it has only one burner for a large cook area and therefore you can't have 2 cook zones. The Weber does curve the lid which is useful if you grill something that sits high.

Rather than buy new part for Weber I chose to buy an inexpensive but good new grill (NXR). NXR benefits listed below:
- it is stainless whereas Weber is painted.
- 2 burners and therefore 2 cook zones.
- gas dial that engages the starter automatically when you turn the gas on. Call me lazy but I don't like having to push that starter button and use my left hand for anything but holding a cold drink.
- NXR more portable due to lack of curved top.
- The NXR is a lot cheaper ($90) and gotta love that Costco return policy.
- As for using canisters, nxr is built for tanks but there should be a conversion hose for that - I bought one to go the other direction.

Here's a link and I blv even non members may be able to buy online? I paid $99 in store but I see its $90 online. I see a price adjustment discussion in my future.

http://www.costco.com/NXR-2-Burner-P...100284426.html
Old 07-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #650
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Volcano....here goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgo View Post
I use the portable a lot because I don't like food smells in places I have to sleep (esp if camping in presence of bears). I have both the Weber Q and the NXR (sold in Costco). Weber Q isn't doing so well after a few years but was good new. I'm sure I could spend another $25 to replace the burner part and extend the life but I never liked the push button starter and the fact that it has only one burner for a large cook area and therefore you can't have 2 cook zones. The Weber does curve the lid which is useful if you grill something that sits high.

Rather than buy new part for Weber I chose to buy an inexpensive but good new grill (NXR). NXR benefits listed below:
- it is stainless whereas Weber is painted.
- 2 burners and therefore 2 cook zones.
- gas dial that engages the starter automatically when you turn the gas on. Call me lazy but I don't like having to push that starter button and use my left hand for anything but holding a cold drink.
- NXR more portable due to lack of curved top.
- The NXR is a lot cheaper ($90) and gotta love that Costco return policy.
- As for using canisters, nxr is built for tanks but there should be a conversion hose for that - I bought one to go the other direction.

Here's a link and I blv even non members may be able to buy online? I paid $99 in store but I see its $90 online. I see a price adjustment discussion in my future.

http://www.costco.com/NXR-2-Burner-P...100284426.html
I purchased the Volcano and it arrived Saturday...we are heading to Glacier this week for 5 days, so I will report my experience after we return. As mentioned earlier, I was impressed at the design, efficiency of using charcoals, heat generated for grilling, and flexibility of gas, charcoal, or wood. But what looked really slick was the video showing how easy it folds back up and into the carrying storage sack. It folds up pretty small even compared to my O-Grill! Check the video out at the site:
https://www.amazon.com/Volcano-Grill...GWPSK3VJV4HBHQ

I also purchased the folding cover which I will use to retain heat on larger cuts of meat like tri-tip or roasting.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #651
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks elgo for the link and welcome to the forum!

Peter
Old 07-12-2016, 06:13 AM   #652
1 Rivet Member

Las vegas , Nevada
@Otra15. Thx. Note that with the NXR sold via Costco, you'd have to buy an adapter to use with canisters, in case that's your primary use case. Happy grilling!
Old 07-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #653
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks. The plan is to use the trailer's low pressure propane port with an extension hose, similar to our set up with the new Yamaha 1000 tri-fuel generator. If you are interested, more detail is on these threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ay-150492.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0i-147804.html

We are also planning on being able to use the standard propane BBQ 20 lb. tanks for both the gen and NXR during storm emergencies at home, as hurricane season is now upon us in the Northeast. We have used our larger Weber propane grill during previous hurricanes, as it can be used as an oven also, and has a separate burner to the right of the covered grill area.

A little redundancy never hurts . . .

Peter
Old 07-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #654
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
They are ALL great grills;but the best is the one that meets YOUR specific need/use. I prefer to cook over open fire with wood; but I have a "Q" as a backup. I was glad I did, as there was a "fire ban" even on charcoal where we were camped.
We, also don't cook inside due to odor and attracting unwanteds. Exception, nuke it.
mike
Old 07-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #655
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Salem , Oregon
I am thinking of purchasing the Solaire grill which some of the members have mentioned. Do you users of this grill have the Anywhere model or the Everywhere. Difference seems to be $ and and extra 5 lbs.

Any replies from user would be useful.

Thanks, Dave
Old 07-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #656
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
A few folks have posted about the Solaire. Using "Search this Thread" above for Solaire yields:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...archid=6093703

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2016, 04:15 PM   #657
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Another vote for Solaire Anywhere, I had used it as my only grill at home as well as traveling with my airstream, it is an Excellent grill!

I see the also now make a Solaire Anywhere mini.

http://solairegasgrills.com/products/portable-grills/

Steve
Old 07-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #658
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
I use the Everywhere. Since you don't cook with the lid closed anyway, why carry the larger lid size and weight?......

But again, you can't miss.