Old 05-02-2016, 10:12 PM   #631
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I see via your earlier link that this grill weighs 32 pounds. Yikes!

Are you happy with it, and especially with the height adjustment? Do you carry it in the tow vehicle?

Our FC20 has limited weight carrying abilities, so we use the small round Weber charcoal grill, in part for its light weight.

Thanks,

Peter
Yes, quite happy. Just made two steaks on it, delicious. The nice thing about it is it isn't very tall, making storage options plentiful. My Classic has side storage compartments for easy storage of the grill.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #632
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Yes, quite happy. Just made two steaks on it, delicious. The nice thing about it is it isn't very tall, making storage options plentiful. My Classic has side storage compartments for easy storage of the grill.
Thanks. Curious whether they offer any kind of cover/lid for this grill, like the Webers have? A lid enables "baking" in a grill which can be invaluable for thicker steaks, legs of lamb, and so forth. A small thermometer inside (or held on magnetically to the lid) aids in monitoring the "oven" temp.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #633
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
Bruce,

How do you pack the BGE for travel?

I have a small BGE, 12" diameter. Some time I'd like to bring it along. My 27 FB has no space for it. It has to go in the bed of the truck. Do you remove the dome for travel?
Old 05-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #634
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I've got a mini BGE at home but I can't figure out how to regulate the temperature. Its either too hot or not hot enough despite fiddling with the top and lower vents. Maybe the smaller ones don't work as well. I just use it for burgers as they make a mess of my O'Grill.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:52 PM   #635
4 Rivet Member

Carlsbad , California
Kelvin,

The smaller eggs aren't really more difficult. The key is picking a temp, open the vents all the way , when you're 50 degrees and closing, start closing the vents and coast to 500.
It does take patience and practice.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:01 AM   #636
4 Rivet Member

Carlsbad , California
https://youtu.be/TOuA-NQ761U
I disagree with this video a little. I like to start closing the vents as I approach desired temp. It easier to raise the temperature than to reduce it.
Once you do it , you'll find the perfect degree of vent opening for top and bottom. Remember that the lid should stay closed...
Don't give up
Old 05-08-2016, 03:08 AM   #637
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I've got a mini BGE at home but I can't figure out how to regulate the temperature. Its either too hot or not hot enough despite fiddling with the top and lower vents. Maybe the smaller ones don't work as well. I just use it for burgers as they make a mess of my O'Grill.

Kelvin
Not sure about the Mini but both our MiniMax and large are fairy easy to regulate. In fact I prefer the MiniMax much of the time. It seems simpler to control at times....

One mistake I used to make was in not using enough hardwood charcoal. It needs enough or it won't come up to temperature.
Another issue can be that a given bag of charcoal can be a dud. Throw it away if you get a bad batch. It will simply frustrate you if you continue to use it...

Finally, the end of some bags contain more dust than chunks and this densely packed charcoal can create a situation where there is a lack of air flow resulting in a cold BGE... There is always a difference in the first of the bag new charcoal and the end of the bag old charcoal... Plan your airflow accordingly or simply use just the bigger chunks only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
https://youtu.be/TOuA-NQ761U
I disagree with this video a little. I like to start closing the vents as I approach desired temp. It easier to raise the temperature than to reduce it.
Once you do it , you'll find the perfect degree of vent opening for top and bottom. Remember that the lid should stay closed...
Don't give up
You said let! It can take a looooong time for the temp to drop once you get it roaring.

Bruce
Old 05-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #638
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
The mini is like all the others. No issues with mine compared to my large.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #639
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Im using the BGE charcoal. Usually I light it with the top and lower vents open wide then walk away. I come back on its 600F. Maybe I don't know what temperature to cook with. So for burgers, a steak or chicken what is the best temperature. Another issue seems its too hot in the middle and the coals on the side are cooler. Is it better to start a starter stick to the side? Thanks

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #640
4 Rivet Member

Carlsbad , California
I light in the center for direct cooking. For chicken I like 350 ,
Steaks a little higher maybe 500. The key is maybe coming back sooner and close them down to 50% ? Then watch.
After you get the hang of it you'll find that it's easy. When I slow cook, 225 ish , a pinky finger width on the bottom and 30% on top. You'll get it .....
Kind of like hooking up an Airstream!
Old 05-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #641
4 Rivet Member

Carlsbad , California
Also, since I have a Primo XL, I use a propane MAP gas to light the lump in both. Easy and fun too..
Old 05-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #642
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
The key is to not get it too hot or it will take a long time to cool down to your cooking temp.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #643
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We have the Davey Crockett Green Mountain Grill and smoker. We love it and its legs fold up and it comes with a carrying bag. You can high temp grill or low and slow smoke. The Green Mountain is perfect whether you are camping or grilling in your back yard.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #644
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Has anyone had experience with the BioLite’s BaseCamp PizzaDome? Don't need one but looks interesting.