Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #781
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
My current “best” grill is a FORD as in found on road dead and abandoned Weber Q120. A $26 burner and a can of fireproof paint and it’s good as new.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #782
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Due to a serious senior brain fart, after firing up the long stored Weber Q120 (our traveling grill) to see if it would work, I thought I had turned it off and folded in the two side tables and closed the lid. Awhile later the smell of hot plastic was in the air but I did not immediately connect the dots. Weber still has the parts so for about $70 delivered with tax, new side tables will be forthcoming. Duh!

Also, while ordering the parts, I inquired about the minimum temperature when the knob was turned to low. They confirmed what I saw that the lowest temperature is about 325 and the highest is about 550 degrees. So there is not much finesse in cooking with this grill. It was the best idea in 2013....

We have to use the Q120 until we finish the installation of a replacement for the 2002 Webber Summit 670 that has two of the six frozen gas valves with no parts available with a new Webber Summit 660 that required a completely different opening in the concrete patio grill stand.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #783
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut View Post
I don't like cooking in the trailer so we usually use a portable Coleman stove and set it up on the picnic table outside. I'm thinking about getting a portable bbq grill and have noticed some fold-up stainless grills that might work. Does anyone have a small grill that they recommend? Ideally would work with small propane bottles as well as charcoal. Thanks.
I use the Weber "Q" table top propane grill. I took off the regulator, and bought a long hose so I can hook it up directly to the trailer's external propane fitting.

Works like a charm- plenty of heat when when you want it . . . I like my steaks "Chicago" style . . .
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #784
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRich7878 View Post
Thank you for the lead to Napolean...

If you drive around the campground on a Saturday afternoon and do a grill check, you'll find many new to camping have purchased the great looking portable gas red Coleman, nice grill but a pain to clean. As my grilling needs matured, I moved to the Weber Q and like it fine, cooks well and easy to clean, but like you, I think the side arms are too wide. The Napolean has potential...

I have taken a close look at the TravelQ 2225 Napolean portable grill to determine if the regulator can be easily removed so the AS propane quick disconnect and a long hose could be used, similar to how my Weber Q is set up. The Napolean regulator is fully integrated into the hinge housing and can not easily be modified for use without the regulator.
DonRich7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #785
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I thought the Blackstone needs a wind deflector of some kind. The flame doesn't blow out, but it can't maintain "hot" in the breeze. After trying to find aluminum blanks, I'm frustrated by thickness. I don't need plate, and I don't need foil either.
Then I came upon license plates, blank ones on Amazon. They're 6" x 12" and just the right thickness. So I ordered a couple, I'll add magnets and they should be easy to attach as needed. Just toss them on the grill to store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61vlw+ewwnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	366815  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:51 PM   #786
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I thought the Blackstone needs a wind deflector of some kind. The flame doesn't blow out, but it can't maintain "hot" in the breeze. After trying to find aluminum blanks, I'm frustrated by thickness. I don't need plate, and I don't need foil either.
Then I came upon license plates, blank ones on Amazon. They're 6" x 12" and just the right thickness. So I ordered a couple, I'll add magnets and they should be easy to attach as needed. Just toss them on the grill to store.
I saw a post on another site that suggested using some cooking board scrapers that were bought at a dollar store for $1 each. I checked the stores web site and it looked like they weren't being carried any longer. Amazon had them at $15 each... That got me to thinking, usually a bad idea..., and came up with common aluminum step flashing. I had a short stack in the garage. After a few minutes playing with a pair of pliers, I had bent 6 to fit tightly on the sides and back of my 22" griddle. I've now used them a couple of times and they are doing the job. I did a couple of steaks last night with winds blowing at 15-20. I have 2 on each side and two on the back one on each side of the drip can.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:01 AM   #787
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Ok, I am posting again on the grill forum. When I got my Airstream seven years ago I got a Coleman RoadTrip with all the goodies. Nice but heavy and also a bear to clean- yes the red one as some have mentioned. This year I got the Blackstone 17" and all I can say is, I want to grill again. It grills well and clean up is very easy and quick. Also, as a griddle, I can cook more things. Before I avoided grilling due to the cleaning.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:28 AM   #788
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I can say avoid this Weber grill because the food taste bad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	webber.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	368058  
Old 05-17-2020, 09:30 PM   #789
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Brush Prairie , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyJenn View Post

Yes I have. Bought it, wanted to love it, now I will sell to anyone who wants it. With a moderate wind blowing, it is very hard to get to a hot temp for searing, or cooking burgers efficiently for that matter. So disappointing.
Knotflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:56 PM   #790
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotflying View Post
Yes I have. Bought it, wanted to love it, now I will sell to anyone who wants it. With a moderate wind blowing, it is very hard to get to a hot temp for searing, or cooking burgers efficiently for that matter. So disappointing.

Stop at your local hardware store and buy a pack of mill aluminum step flashing. Bend 6 of the sheets so they hang on the sides and back of the griddle. They do a great job of controlling the wind. I've gotten over 400 degrees on mine even in 20 mph winds.
When finished grilling and after cleaning the griddle, just slide them off and leave then on the griddle surface. They weigh next to nothing and will last for a long time. Cost is about $5.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...shings/5191812
Old 05-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #791
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
Stop at your local hardware store and buy a pack of mill aluminum step flashing. Bend 6 of the sheets so they hang on the sides and back of the griddle. They do a great job of controlling the wind. I've gotten over 400 degrees on mine even in 20 mph winds.
When finished grilling and after cleaning the griddle, just slide them off and leave then on the griddle surface. They weigh next to nothing and will last for a long time. Cost is about $5.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...shings/5191812
or...as said earlier...use your O-grill or Coleman propane stove with a griddle on it, if your need is to sear/cook on a steal surface! Still trying to understand the attraction to this unless cooking pancakes, eggs, and bacon?? What am I missing that good old charcoal or propane bbq's don't give me?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:03 AM   #792
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Crewe , Virginia
Save yourself some money........

I don't carry a grill camping. I use the campground provided fire ring/grill combo or just use a grill grate, pan or a piece of sheet metal (steel) on some bricks. Less to clean up and pack when you're ready to leave.
Attached Images

Dspchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:54 PM   #793
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Yep, I used campground grills exclusively the first few years we traveled. Less to carry, hardwood smoke added flavor.

Eventually I got tired of cleaning the melted plastic and cigarette butts out of them so I bought a Weber Q. Easy to use and maintain but I do miss the added flavor of wood smoke.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:14 PM   #794
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
This small charcoal grill is still the best IMO.

Peter

[Post #611 from 2016]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
We go with the small round Weber charcoal grill.
. . .
14" Weber Smokey Joe

But no carry handle. We have a dedicated plywood box in the back of the van to store the (cooled) grill with no clean-up at all, except for brushing the grill top (hot) right before the next grill session. Quick and easy . . . again . . . KISS.
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #795
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
I tried to love my little weber, honest. On a dare I got a "Old Smokey" because it was hardly a leap of faith.

All I can say is what took me so long? The design is basically two water buckets with vent holes punched in. The hardware is laughable and it is flimsy.....but my dog it can cook.

The heat radiates in all directions and venting actually works really well. When I shut it down I have coals left over for the next cook, a good sign.

That's the good and bad, mostly great. What it needs is a mod. so that you can fully nest the two halves. It is an easy fix using button bolts and wing nuts.

Strong buy for charcoal lovers who are looking for something different.

Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #796
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks, didn't know there are two sizes, the smaller one here:

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Smokey-Ch...9844900&sr=8-1

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:30 AM   #797
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
What am I missing that good old charcoal or propane bbq's don't give me?
You are missing easy cleanup.

"or...as said earlier...use your O-grill or Coleman propane stove with a griddle on it,"

I have the griddles for my coleman road trip but the thing is big bulky and weighs a ton it its carry case with the cast iron griddles, etc.

Before I got the Blackstone I considered the same thing- open fire taste off grate, etc but it really isn't that different just a whole less mess afterward. Watch some of the people cooking and testing the Blackstone grills (private parties) on YouTube. One guy's video on wings and a dome lid cover was amazing. When done, squirt water, scrape, empty bin, cool, put away. Plus, it weighs about 12 lbs- about the same as one of griddle insert on the coleman. Yes, the coleman works but consider space, weight, ease of use, etc and it loses. My Coleman in the Coleman carry bag weighs as much or more than my Generator.

I understand that there are several ways to cook while camping. I have the Billy Bob cast iron campfire set too but; it is not easy to deal with, just more rustic. This is a pic of a similar set but not my use. It is portable but not what I would consider the best option.

@Molly's Dad- carry the griddle part separate from the rest of the Blackstone. The carry case separates them in bags. It is much lighter that way, if it seems heavy to you.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2020, 07:15 AM   #798
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
You are missing easy cleanup.

"or...as said earlier...use your O-grill or Coleman propane stove with a griddle on it,"

I have the griddles for my coleman road trip but the thing is big bulky and weighs a ton it its carry case with the cast iron griddles, etc.

Before I got the Blackstone I considered the same thing- open fire taste off grate, etc but it really isn't that different just a whole less mess afterward. Watch some of the people cooking and testing the Blackstone grills (private parties) on YouTube. One guy's video on wings and a dome lid cover was amazing. When done, squirt water, scrape, empty bin, cool, put away. Plus, it weighs about 12 lbs- about the same as one of griddle insert on the coleman. Yes, the coleman works but consider space, weight, ease of use, etc and it loses. My Coleman in the Coleman carry bag weighs as much or more than my Generator.

I understand that there are several ways to cook while camping. I have the Billy Bob cast iron campfire set too but; it is not easy to deal with, just more rustic. This is a pic of a similar set but not my use. It is portable but not what I would consider the best option.

@Molly's Dad- carry the griddle part separate from the rest of the Blackstone. The carry case separates them in bags. It is much lighter that way, if it seems heavy to you.
Understand your comments, but don't think I need a Blackstone type griddle. I have the Coleman Roadtrip for large "grandkid'parent" type gatherings when we do get together...think I used it twice this past year around Austin. Kind of a pain to take along for sure. I did not get the Coleman griddle--as you said it is heavy...I use an aluminum model that works well on the coleman 2 burner propane stove or grill, so no issues when i need it for pancakes or lots of bacon...

Love the charcoal option...as for open fires as others mention above, thats great...we also used the fire pits from time to time, but with the restrictions on open fires and charcoal fired grills in mid summer, we have learned that the propane grill is best....or perhaps your Blackstone..
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:34 AM   #799
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
My carry case has two parts. One is a vinyl cover with a drawstring to keep things covered.
The other is a nice zipper Cordura bag with carry handles, from Blackstone.
There's not two bags. Yes, I'm a weakling, because it is heavy.

Here's my home made wind deflectors. Put them as needed.
The magnets came predrilled for a #8 machine screw.
I just toss them in the bag when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wind.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	368298  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:11 PM   #800
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
I am a fan of the Solaire Everywhere. I have had it for 10 years. Now it's time to retire it. Oh, a new one for Father's Day! What a great idea [emoji362]
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote