Old 04-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #435
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
I do not have the Weber Q (yet), but my home gas grill is a ten year old Weber gas grill. You cannot beat Weber for durability and customer service. Parts are readily available. I think you will find that the higher initial cost for the Weber will be offset by the above factors.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:31 AM   #436
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Doug how long have you used this grill setup and how do you like how it works?

Perry
I've only been using it for a few months, but so far, so good. Can be a little rough to clean (I'm going to try some aluminum foil next time), and only good for a couple-few people. The legs on it prevent the surface underneath from heating up, I've used it on the plastic liner of my tailgate.

Though I kinda prefer my 5 burner BBQ, 100KBTU wok station and electric smoker that I have set up at home!

Old 04-22-2014, 06:06 AM   #437
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Libertyville , Illinois
I just picked up a Weber Q100 that was on sale at my local Ace Hardware. I looked on Amazon and it looks like this model is being discontinued. I liked the idea of this model because it does not have wing tables. I always grill on an outdoor cooking table and thought the wings would get in the way. I hope I am right! I am looking forward to trying it out on my first outing!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #438
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Short, I have the 100 and use a Cabelas folding table. The grill has been perfect for the two of us and I've done meals for six. I use a small griddle that conveniently hangs off the table for eggs and pancakes. You will enjoy it.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #439
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The Q1000 is just the newer version of the Q100.

Perry
Old 05-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #440
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I feel a little dirty - after our last camping trip I did decide that I needed a gas cooking appliance after all. Not so much for grilling, but for eggs and pancakes in the morning. I love my charcoal, but with the kids, it just takes too long to develop usable, adjustable heat.

After much research I went out today and picked up a Magma Marine Grill with the skillet insert. Tried it this afternoon in the backyard with some simple asparagus with olive oil and I am impressed. Very even heat, a breeze to clean.

And the stainless steel goes well with the Airstream.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #441
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Oh wow I like that!!!!!

PharmGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #442
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Although not a grill about three months ago I sought an electric solution which I have been using with great results. It offers the ability to cook outside, especially when in hookup campsites without adding additional cost- an induction cooktop.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #443
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
A friend of mine uses his induction cooktop with solar and loves it - but then, he has 600 watts coming in. Great idea.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #444
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
I feel a little dirty - after our last camping trip I did decide that I needed a gas cooking appliance after all. Not so much for grilling, but for eggs and pancakes in the morning. I love my charcoal, but with the kids, it just takes too long to develop usable, adjustable heat.

After much research I went out today and picked up a Magma Marine Grill with the skillet insert. Tried it this afternoon in the backyard with some simple asparagus with olive oil and I am impressed. Very even heat, a breeze to clean.

And the stainless steel goes well with the Airstream.

Andy,

Looks very nice indeed - albeit a bit pricey! Found it on amazon.ca)

We are still using a old Weber portable that we have used for maybe 16 years - maybe time for a change although it still soldiers on! I have never found the heat from it to be very even over the cooking surface.

Presume the legs on the Magma fold up? Do you know what the overall height would be with then legs folded? I would like any new BBQ that I but to be able to fit in the rear storage area via the outside access door.

Thanks ............ Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #445
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I got mine way cheaper - $180 at Mountain Equipment Coop. Those amazon prices are too high. The legs do fold and it fits into our storage sideways. I'll try to measure it later and will post numbers for you.

Here's the product link from MEC: http://www.mec.ca/product/5028-216/m...grill/?q=Magma
Old 05-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #446
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Magma makes a ton of different grills at different price points. They are all good quality. Most are made with marine grade stainless steel, although some are non marine grade. I have a basic model Magma Cabo gas grill (they also make them in charcoal and electric) that I use on my boat. It works great except for cooking high fat content foods like sausage, which has a tendency to flame on when cooking even at the lowest temp. Not a good thing while on a boat!!

West Marine has them on sale right now for $130 ($70 off MSRP) with free shipping. Marine Barbecues | Barbecues | Outdoor Living | West Marine

In the pic below you can see how the legs fold up. I have mine on an adapter that fits into a fishing rod holder, so it's easy to set up and take down to stow in the cabin when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130517_115132.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	493.0 KB
ID:	212687  
Old 05-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #447
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Presume the legs on the Magma fold up? Do you know what the overall height would be with then legs folded? I would like any new BBQ that I but to be able to fit in the rear storage area via the outside access door.
I just measured mine. It's the Magma Cabo and it is 10x10x18.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #448
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I have used a Weber Q 100 series BBQ for the past for about 12 years. It is my BBQ of choice to use when camping with the Airstream. It has even heat and very seldom if ever flares up when grilling fatty foods.

About 2 years ago, I decided to replace it with a new one since the 12 year old one was getting pretty grungy, even after multiple deep cleanings. BIG mistake! My new Q120, although it cooks great when it works has gone through 2 regulators in two years. The first replacement was sent free under warranty. Weber just sent me a second replacement at a cost of $21 since it is now out of warranty, (they gave me a reduced price as the regular price is $35). I will say that Weber customer service is excellent.

Hopefully this third regulator will hold up. If not I will be looking at other grill options.