Old 04-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #407
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirEgger View Post

A pic of the Baby Q and small BGE waiting for the grand kids to arrive for a fun day.

Oh; if that's a small, that's large enough for what I would want to do. What is that internal measurement with the plate lifter installed for baking - 12 or 13" diameter?

Good setup - a Charwood and a propane both ready to go and both for their purposes! Exactly what I would be looking to do!

Ian

Old 04-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #408
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Marthasville , Missouri
Ian, the diameter of cooking grate on the small is 13". The ID of the egg body at the lid opening is 13.75". I believe the newer mini's are 10". The older ones are 9". Hope this helps. PM me if you want more info.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #409
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
ompah , Ontario
WEber Q100 or 120 for compact solid no nonsense around $100 . Lots of shinnier stuff around with bells and whitles but get a weber. Solid .
Old 04-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #410
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Best Portable Grill?

I like the mini egg but at 10 inch cooking surface just too small - size "small" would work just not sure I'm committed yet to that weight

I probably will buy a weber baby Q100 then later consider other options

I thought about getting the mini egg and buying basics Coleman suitcase type stove for capacity but just does not feel right

I am back burns ring the notion of a smoker I think for now

Also saw a small smokey joe weber - 15 inch grate - really solid looking little charcoal grill - may consider that as opposed to gas

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #411
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Anyone have experience with the new Kamado Joe Jr, at 68# is about the size of the BGE small?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #412
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I like the mini egg but at 10 inch cooking surface just too small - size "small" would work just not sure I'm committed yet to that weight

I probably will buy a weber baby Q100 then later consider other options
This is my thoughts as well -- start with the propane and continue to consider my options on the charwood side of the house. Other than my personal preference for the use of charwood and a desire to have a grill and smoker both, my primary drive for this is to be able to bake while boondocking -- the (slightly) used Serenity I bought carries the micro/conv oven and I dont want to be firing up a generator to bake a pie, muffins or cookies when I am in the back country. So ultimately the grill I work with needs to have a reliable and heat controlled baking/roasting capability as well.

Thanks all for the thread; and for letting me muse a bit to make up my mind.

Ian
Old 04-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #413
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Anyone have experience with the new Kamado Joe Jr, at 68# is about the size of the BGE small?
I checked their website...never seen those before...it does appear to be in the same 13 inch category as the BGE small....seems they come with nice accesories and stand as well at base cost....wondering how much they cost...weight is almost the same it seems....they have colors black and red...looks nice..

I could be tempted at this point on such a grill if I got a good price and if the top could be removed easy or stored relatively easy in a container in back of my truck....on BGE forums, seems to be alot of folks go camping with the small (some even the mediu or large ) - the collective experience so far is that if packed reasonably they hold up well....so as far as we know

Old 04-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #414
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Lowes has the standard size Kamado for $229.00
Old 04-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #415
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I got the Costco version of the BGE. I just couldn't justify the cost of an XL BGE - or rather I probably would have, but my wife would have had opinions. I got the Costco equivalent on sale for $450 and I have to say, it's been perfect so far. Really heavy, well put together and high quality grill. I've baked in it, roasted in it, smoked in it, they are incredibly versatile grills. Temperature ranges from 220º to low and slow smoking to 900º for the best pizza.

If you've got the money, go for the BGE - it's made in the US and quality and customer service is excellent. If the price is an issue, there are lower cost options available.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #416
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Bought some cheap $3 foil pan grills with charcoal already in them, at the dollar store.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #417
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
After much deliberation, I bought the Weber Baby Q1000 - gas grill.

I one day will want to experiment with or try a kamodo type grill...but probably right now with our small children and such, we are going to keep things simple.

Ordered with it the conversion hose to hookup to my 201b tank.

Got a site booked for this weekend coming up at oak mountain state park here in birmingham (just a few miles from my house) and camping with my son, my brother, and his son....going to give this weber a go this weekend.

So many cool grills out there to choose from....I was also pretty close to getting the weber smokey joe 15 inch version, but for now decided against it, my wife kept harking back to choosing what is easiest and quickest....I was on the fence about everything so I pretty much let my wife choose this one.

Thanks for all the advice....I will be lurking in the coming 1-3 years for a good priced and not too heavy kamodo grill to learn to smoke meats and such...for now that will be on the....backburner

Old 04-16-2014, 05:12 AM   #418
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
The Weber Q1000 is a very good grill. I think you'll be happy with it.

A lot of people think charcoal is more work, but that's really not the case. Cleaning, for example, is far less work with a charcoal BBQ than with a gas model (not for the Cobb, which is a pain to clean if you're not careful). With charcoal, the grease simply burns away and all that needs an occasional wipe is the grilling surface.

My cleaning routine for my kamodo consists of building a hot fire and letting it burn for a bit, then a quick wipe. My gas bbq owning friends are forever soaking and scrubbing and dismantling and replacing parts... you just don't have that with a real fire.

Get a chimney starter, and you'll be grilling in no time at all.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:32 AM   #419
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I agree 100%, my cleaning routine with charcoal is to heat up the grilling surface with a hot fire and brush it clean, when done all I need to do is dump the ashes. Plus charcoal just tastes better, I grill with both routinely as my girlfriend only has a gas grill and there is no denying the taste difference.

A chimney starter makes starting a fire a snap.

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
The Weber Q1000 is a very good grill. I think you'll be happy with it.

A lot of people think charcoal is more work, but that's really not the case. Cleaning, for example, is far less work with a charcoal BBQ than with a gas model (not for the Cobb, which is a pain to clean if you're not careful). With charcoal, the grease simply burns away and all that needs an occasional wipe is the grilling surface.

My cleaning routine for my kamodo consists of building a hot fire and letting it burn for a bit, then a quick wipe. My gas bbq owning friends are forever soaking and scrubbing and dismantling and replacing parts... you just don't have that with a real fire.

Get a chimney starter, and you'll be grilling in no time at all.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #420
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Well crap

I'll see how this goes - I know I want to find a smallish kamodo later