Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #521
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
My babyq 1000 acted up last trip - no all of the little holes where gas comes out and ignites in the grill are apparently getting gas there and as a result the far ends only are igniting - what do I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Is the grill getting up to temperature? If not, could be the regulator. Call Weber and they will send a replacement. They have excellent customer service from my experience.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:33 AM   #522
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
I think it's hard to beat the Weber Q. We have the little one and I did dinner for 5 last night. Does a much better job than my more expensive patio grill at home. I picked up the accessory griddle for pancakes and eggs - it does a beautiful job.
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #523
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
laguna beach , California
You need to clean the tube with the holes, use a piece of steel wool, if you maintain regularly you won't have any more issues!

Ford F-350 crew cab 4X4 diesel, 25' Jack Bauer edition AS
sparkymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:18 PM   #524
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yeah - it is in need of a clean bad - I'll report back thanks

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #525
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I tried to start a separate thread on Pellet grills but got few bites. So I am wondering if anyone else has looked at them when they were or are looking for their perfect camping grill. Would love to hear from you

I pack my Traeger junior along. Needs a power source but love the way it cooks. I pack a Honda 2000i anyway. It will run off an inverter. 600 w I think. The junior cooks much better than the bigger ones when cooking steaks. It's possible to get a sear on them. I've heard less than stellar views for their little portable one. I put a tailgater kit on mine and run it on the truck tailgate or campground table.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #526
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Olympia , Washington
We recently returned from a nine week RV trip through to Alaska via the Alaska Highway. The trip gave us an opportunity to put our Volcano 2 BBQ grill through the paces. We used both charcoal and propane. Did not burn wood for fuel. This grill meets our needs very well - with charcoal and propane. We grilled; used skillets, sauce pans, wok, and dutch oven. Tip - charcoal starts nicely with cotton balls doused with WD40. No stink. No bulky chimney.
Sovereign85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #527
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I also have an induction one burner and it works great owever I am looking for something that does not use elecric but can multitask ie cook ribs, pork butts, steaks at night and eggs bacon and pancakes in the morning.

I have seen some portable grills that are infrared but I have never used one. does anyone have experience with them and if so how do you like them?

One word: Solaire

Have used one for 10 years. Takes a bit of 'education and experience' to get it right but once you do........ nothing works quite like infrared.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #528
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I recently purchased Tec Cherokee infrared Grill for camping. It is IMO a great addition to my other cooking toys. However as Lewter said it does take a bit of getting use to as it can get extremely hot (upwards of 600 degrees plus). I am still learning but on our last trip I cooked both breakfast (pancakes and sausage) and dinner (porterhouse, bone in loin chops with corn in the cob). This grill along with our induction burner should provide all the heat I need to cook while camping.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #529
1 Rivet Member

Powder Springs , Georgia
Q1000 Works For Us!

The Weber Q1000 is an awesome lil system when the two if us are camping:

very precise temp control with built in temp gauge;
runs off green bottles or your propane tanks with optional hose;
optional stand is great for transporting as well as keeping it off the pic-a-nic table;
ez to light and clean;
small and light weight, the table "wings" fold into the main grill for storage.

I purchased a griddle that fit the grill and was able to cook b'fast for four last weekend; eight eggs and 1/3lb bacon!

Bug
gabugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:33 PM   #530
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabugman View Post
The Weber Q1000 is an awesome lil system when the two if us are camping:

very precise temp control with built in temp gauge;
runs off green bottles or your propane tanks with optional hose;
optional stand is great for transporting as well as keeping it off the pic-a-nic table;
ez to light and clean;
small and light weight, the table "wings" fold into the main grill for storage.

I purchased a griddle that fit the grill and was able to cook b'fast for four last weekend; eight eggs and 1/3lb bacon!

Bug

Hey Bug, we have same grill and love it. The stand is very handy. We have the propane hose but haven't used it yet, too convenient with green bottles. Can you tell us what griddle you got? Sounds like a good addition...
Old 09-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #531
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Before we got the Coleman (affectionately nicknamed "the Road Kill Grill"), we used the Weber Go-Anywhere Grill. It's great for a couple of people, but the Coleman is better for group BBQs, like at a small rally or with friends. The best feature is that you can grill on one side & put a pot on the grate on the other so I don't have to run in & out of the trailer when preparing a meal. At our last rally, we prepared chili dogs for about 25 people for lunch one day quite easily...dogs on one side & chili pot on the other.

I first used one of these at the Rocky Mountain AirstreamForum.com gathering (it was Les Gilliam's) we cooked Grand Marnier French Toast for about 25 people...you could fit about 10-12 slices on it at once. I fell in love & had to have one! The rest is history ~

<sales pitch over>

Shari
Which model Coleman?
Oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:25 AM   #532
1 Rivet Member

Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Hey Bug, we have same grill and love it. The stand is very handy. We have the propane hose but haven't used it yet, too convenient with green bottles. Can you tell us what griddle you got? Sounds like a good addition...
TC,

I don't rightly know, we just measured the cook space and Susy went to Wal Mart and picked one up that fit.

You can't close the lid on it (end handles get in the way) but it pretty much covers the entire cook space.

Bug
gabugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #533
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Have a Solaire Everywhere coming today for the 23D along with a propane adapter hose, carrying bag and their stand. We have limited storage in the Mercedes ML320 CDI tow vehicle and we will only be cooking for two people. It is very compact 21"W x 9"H x 13"D (including carrying handles) and weighs only 15 pounds. We plan to use an existing five pound propane tank.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #534
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Have a Solaire Everywhere coming today for the 23D along with a propane adapter hose, carrying bag and their stand. We have limited storage in the Mercedes ML320 CDI tow vehicle and we will only be cooking for two people. It is very compact 21"W x 9"H x 13"D (including carrying handles) and weighs only 15 pounds. We plan to use an existing five pound propane tank.

Lou,

Be really careful on your first few uses of the Solaire. They run so hot that you have to seriously change the way you grill. Much shorter cooking times. You'll love it once you get the technique down.

Nothing cooks like infra red !!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #535
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I certainly agree with Lew. An infrared grill can get hot very quickly upwards of 700 degrees and as a result takes a while to learn how to control the heat so one does not burn or over cook the food.

Although I do use my TEC on occassion at home I prefer my green eggs or pellet grill as I think they inpart more flavor into the food.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #536
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Btw - cleaned my babyq and it is all back to normal

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #537
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Camp Chef??

We are totally intrigued by the Camp Chef system. Saw one used this weekend at a rally and looked awesome. The guy loved it. Seems to do a lot if you have room to carry. Anyone here have any experience or thoughts on this system?
judyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #538
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I just got a Cadac Safari Chef. It is a cooker, griddle, grill, wok and BBQ all in one. It is a table top with folding legs and uses 1# cylinders, but can be easily converted to bulk propane. They have a fb page cadac international worth a look. I think they are from South Africa as they use some Afrikaans words in their advertising.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #539
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
The small propane grills don't get hot enough to grill anything. We have a Weber Q grill that we bought and added an extended hose that we hook up to our large propane tank for the trailer. You can grill what ever you want. We set the grill on a portable bench that works for cooking and washing your own trailer. This is perfect, not too big and your can grill your steaks, chicken or brats.
tburnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #540
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi Burnand View Post
The small propane grills don't get hot enough to grill anything. We have a Weber Q grill that we bought and added an extended hose that we hook up to our large propane tank for the trailer. You can grill what ever you want. We set the grill on a portable bench that works for cooking and washing your own trailer. This is perfect, not too big and your can grill your steaks, chicken or brats.
That is why we have the Coleman Road Trip. I am not a fan of some features, but it has 2 burners at 10,000 BTU each. The newer model is 22,000 BTU overall. The road trip cooks steaks like they were meant to be cooked.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote