Old 05-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #323
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
We do. We have a mini for a camping grill and an xl at home for briskets and such.

pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #324
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
David

I use to have a small but now only have only the large ones. We gave our small one to our daughter before we got the AS. So I am thinking of getting a small to take on trips but was wondering how you store it for travel.

I personally think they are the best out there as they will let you cook low and slow or hot and fast.

John

Old 05-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #325
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor
David

I use to have a small but now only have only the large ones. We gave our small one to our daughter before we got the AS. So I am thinking of getting a small to take on trips but was wondering how you store it for travel.

I personally think they are the best out there as they will let you cook low and slow or hot and fast.

John
John,

I keep our mini egg in a Rubbermaid container with padding. I bought it used a few years ago and we have used it on every camping trip. The small egg would be pretty darn cool. What does a small egg weigh?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #326
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
David

The small weighs about 65 pounds so I think the mini would be much easy to haul
around. I might have to look into getting a mini especially if i could find one used.

John
Old 05-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #327
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Thanks John. The small is definitely heavier than the mini. Although the extra cooking surface of the small would be nice the weight might be an issue for us.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:30 AM   #328
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Seattle , Washington
Hi Guys,

I saw this thread and wanted to chime in with my discovery of the O-Grill 1000. I bought it from LL Bean along with the folding O-Grill dock. It's lightweight, it works beautifully, and it looks cool too . There is a slightly larger model available as well. Here is the link:

O-Grill 1000: Camping Grills | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Happy shopping!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #329
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Well I finally upgraded from the fire pit to a Cobb grill. Looking forward to its first use, week after next, when we go to Deep Creep State park in Md.
Will still keep my coleman propane as a backup and for breakfast.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #330
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Second weekend with our new AS 25. Any update from Solaire users. I like the look and when Imasked a question online I got a quick reply from the manufacturer. Can you plug me into the propane port on the front of the 2012 Flying Cloud?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #331
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Our Weber Baby-Q is 10 years old and we have used it at 8500 feet in Colorado and sea level in NC. It still works great and that is all we have used to cook on while camping. We have a very nice Weber 320 at the house an the Baby Q cooks better than the big on with no flare ups.

We also just purchased a Cobb for smoking. We were looking into the "Green Egg" but due to its weight and size figure the Cobb would work for the things we want to smoke while camping that can be stored within the Airstream.

Nothing like having options to enjoy the time outside.

SL4BLLT
Old 09-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #332
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I'll second the recommendation for the Coleman Road Trip Grill. It's not the best BBQ but it's versitility makes it a winner. If you buy a fancy BBQ later you can still use the Road Trip to boil water, scramble eggs, etc. There are two models. The red ones use a porcelain grate that is heavy but probably more rugged. We have the blue model which uses non-stick coated aluminum grills/griddles. I think the drop in tops are interchangable but I'm not sure about that. The red model appears to have more clearance under the top cover which is my major gripe about ours. Of course the burner rings that make it into a camp stove would be the same which makes me believe all modules should be interchangeable. The pan below the burners is designed to hold water. That helps keep BBQ meat moist and aids in clean-up. One hint is to add a few drops of dish detergent to the water so that the fat that drops down from the grill is easier to clean up. I also highly recommend the Coleman carry case for this grill which keeps it clean in storage and keeps where you store it clean from and grill doo-doo. Plus it has wheels and an airline bag type extendable handle which makes moving it around infinitely easier. Bottom line, it's a really useful tool both for the trailer and at home.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #333
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
STOK vs Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post
I'll second the recommendation for the Coleman Road Trip Grill.... I also highly recommend the Coleman carry case for this grill which keeps it clean in storage and keeps where you store it clean from and grill doo-doo. Plus it has wheels and an airline bag type extendable handle which makes moving it around infinitely easier.
Timely thread for us. We needed one and I was looking at the STOK grill to go. Similar to the Coleman and has interchangeable parts that we could have used on our STOK Tower we have for home use. I have no complaints about the STOK Tower. But Coleman is a good brand and the carrying case sold me. (and it is a bit cheaper)
Should be here on Wednesday..

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #334
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
I've used the Weber Q-200 for two years and it's fine for grilling. But it's more than fine for blackening. It's wonderful!!! Here's a picture that I hope is food for thought. That's a 12-inch cast-iron skillet. It takes about 10 minutes to get to the perfect temp and the Weber maintains the temp as the pieces are done. Since the fillets cook in just a couple of minutes, the smallish skillet doesn't limit serving a small crowd. Be sure to use clarified butter with your favorite blacking spices and bon appetite!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	181107  
Old 03-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #335
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2014 28' Flying Cloud
1992 34' Excella
Durham , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMum View Post
Hi Guys,

I saw this thread and wanted to chime in with my discovery of the O-Grill 1000. I bought it from LL Bean along with the folding O-Grill dock. It's lightweight, it works beautifully, and it looks cool too . There is a slightly larger model available as well. Here is the link:

O-Grill 1000: Camping Grills | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Happy shopping!
We bought and used this grill. The lid never seemed to latch properly and sat uneven so we finally decided to drive over to the store and return it after using it two or three times. Beans was great with their return policy, their floor model actually had the same problem as ours. The salesman explained that is why it was a floor model! We are going to purchase another one soon and keep it for good-as long as the lid works I would recommend it to anyone.
Jared129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #336
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
I have to chime in and and add to the recommendations for the O-Grill 1000. I LOVE IT. We've had ours for over a year, purchased the travel bag too.

JBinkc: that Weber Q-200 looks awesome for blackening, not something I can do with the O-Grill (I don't think)