Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #441
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Oh wow I like that!!!!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #442
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Although not a grill about three months ago I sought an electric solution which I have been using with great results. It offers the ability to cook outside, especially when in hookup campsites without adding additional cost- an induction cooktop.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #443
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
A friend of mine uses his induction cooktop with solar and loves it - but then, he has 600 watts coming in. Great idea.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #444
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
I feel a little dirty - after our last camping trip I did decide that I needed a gas cooking appliance after all. Not so much for grilling, but for eggs and pancakes in the morning. I love my charcoal, but with the kids, it just takes too long to develop usable, adjustable heat.

After much research I went out today and picked up a Magma Marine Grill with the skillet insert. Tried it this afternoon in the backyard with some simple asparagus with olive oil and I am impressed. Very even heat, a breeze to clean.

And the stainless steel goes well with the Airstream.

Andy,

Looks very nice indeed - albeit a bit pricey! Found it on amazon.ca)

We are still using a old Weber portable that we have used for maybe 16 years - maybe time for a change although it still soldiers on! I have never found the heat from it to be very even over the cooking surface.

Presume the legs on the Magma fold up? Do you know what the overall height would be with then legs folded? I would like any new BBQ that I but to be able to fit in the rear storage area via the outside access door.

Thanks ............ Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #445
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I got mine way cheaper - $180 at Mountain Equipment Coop. Those amazon prices are too high. The legs do fold and it fits into our storage sideways. I'll try to measure it later and will post numbers for you.

Here's the product link from MEC: http://www.mec.ca/product/5028-216/m...grill/?q=Magma
Old 05-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #446
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Magma makes a ton of different grills at different price points. They are all good quality. Most are made with marine grade stainless steel, although some are non marine grade. I have a basic model Magma Cabo gas grill (they also make them in charcoal and electric) that I use on my boat. It works great except for cooking high fat content foods like sausage, which has a tendency to flame on when cooking even at the lowest temp. Not a good thing while on a boat!!

West Marine has them on sale right now for $130 ($70 off MSRP) with free shipping. Marine Barbecues | Barbecues | Outdoor Living | West Marine

In the pic below you can see how the legs fold up. I have mine on an adapter that fits into a fishing rod holder, so it's easy to set up and take down to stow in the cabin when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130517_115132.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	493.0 KB
ID:	212687  
Old 05-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #447
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Presume the legs on the Magma fold up? Do you know what the overall height would be with then legs folded? I would like any new BBQ that I but to be able to fit in the rear storage area via the outside access door.
I just measured mine. It's the Magma Cabo and it is 10x10x18.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #448
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I have used a Weber Q 100 series BBQ for the past for about 12 years. It is my BBQ of choice to use when camping with the Airstream. It has even heat and very seldom if ever flares up when grilling fatty foods.

About 2 years ago, I decided to replace it with a new one since the 12 year old one was getting pretty grungy, even after multiple deep cleanings. BIG mistake! My new Q120, although it cooks great when it works has gone through 2 regulators in two years. The first replacement was sent free under warranty. Weber just sent me a second replacement at a cost of $21 since it is now out of warranty, (they gave me a reduced price as the regular price is $35). I will say that Weber customer service is excellent.

Hopefully this third regulator will hold up. If not I will be looking at other grill options.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:11 AM   #449
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
I got mine way cheaper - $180 at Mountain Equipment Coop. Those amazon prices are too high. The legs do fold and it fits into our storage sideways. I'll try to measure it later and will post numbers for you.

Here's the product link from MEC: Magma Wilderness Gas Grill - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

Many thanks Andy, we have an MEC store just a mile or two from home so I'll see if they have one there!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:18 AM   #450
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
I just measured mine. It's the Magma Cabo and it is 10x10x18.

cheers,
steve
Usually measurements are length x width x height, but I'm thinking yours is width x height x length. Correct? I'm asking because the height it my main concern.Thanks for the info.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #451
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
After reading the last couple of pages of posts I opted for the Amazon.com : Napoleon PTSS165P Marine Grill LP, Stainless Steel : Freestanding Grills : Patio, Lawn & Garden Just tried it out and works well, packs up very nicely and is small compared to my old Weber.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #452
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
I feel a little dirty - after our last camping trip I did decide that I needed a gas cooking appliance after all. Not so much for grilling, but for eggs and pancakes in the morning. I love my charcoal, but with the kids, it just takes too long to develop usable, adjustable heat.

After much research I went out today and picked up a Magma Marine Grill with the skillet insert. Tried it this afternoon in the backyard with some simple asparagus with olive oil and I am impressed. Very even heat, a breeze to clean.

And the stainless steel goes well with the Airstream.

Does anyone know whats involved in adapting this grill from the little (LP) bottles to either the trailer system or at least a 20-LB bottle and what adapters might be required?
TKS
Doug
Old 06-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #453
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Does anyone know whats involved in adapting this grill from the little (LP) bottles to either the trailer system or at least a 20-LB bottle and what adapters might be required?
TKS
Doug
Jammer did it.

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #454
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Don't put the webber grills in the car with you. They sound like someone dropping a bag of hub caps off a building when you hit a bump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Airstream Forums mobile app
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #455
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
I just listed my Cobb Premier Grill on the St. Louis Craigslist site. I'm asking $99.00 plus shipping. It is in very good condition, and clean. It comes with Cobb Grill "On The Go" recipe book. If anyone is interested, you can PM me or go to the St. Louis Craigslist site under "General For Sale by Owner".
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #456
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I have a Magma Grill om my boat and it is great, for the Airstream I have a Weber Q which also doubles as the home grill. The Weber is on a stand and easy to setup, both would server any camper well.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #457
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I just got a Groupon offer for the Cobb grill: https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/...aol.com&open=1 is hooked up to my email, doesn't matter, but if you order one make sure the name and address info is correct.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #458
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
This is a long thread and I didn't read the whole thing, so pardonez-moi if I'm repeating anything...

I've used Magmas on my boats for years. Good quality stuff. There are some Magma knockoffs that carry the Kuuma name - not bad grills, thinner metal,, less convenient (the regulator can't be removed from the grill) but not nearly as nice as the Magma units, which can indeed be spendy.

We've been using a fairly inexpensive grill at home for just the two of us, and it's worked out well enough that we plan to take it with us in the trailer. It has the Cuisinart brand on it, but it may be available under other names as well. The legs fold up, and it's convenient to leave the 16oz propane bottle connected when you fold up the legs and put it in its carrying tote. It's tabletop only, and we will be setting it up on an Ikea folding patio table. Fast warmup, nice even heat, good control.

Amazon.com : Cuisinart CGG-180T Petit Gourmet Portable Tabletop Gas Grill : Outdoor Tabletop Grills : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #459
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Many thanks Andy, we have an MEC store just a mile or two from home so I'll see if they have one there!

Brian.
Crap. Life got busy and I forgot to measure and post the results - I am sorry.

What I do know is that we really like this grill, we use it with the optional griddle plate for everything from pancakes to risotto, and that it fits into our storage cabinet (1984 International 34') without any trouble. The only pain are these little gas bottles, empty after three days.

Risotto on the grill
Old 06-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #460
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Nice and shiny

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote