Old 08-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #295
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Problem solved - it fits!

I ended up buying a Coleman All-in-One Cooking system at REI. Cost was $99 and it comes with a stove grate, grill grate and griddle. After a lot of trial and error I found a way to get it to fit in the 8 gal. Action Packer. It only fits one way but the lid does close completely. Now to see how well it cooks! I'll post my test results here. If it works reasonably well, I'll put some foam gasket material around the lip of the Action Packer lid so the odors are locked inside. I also want to set it up to use propane from the Interstate tank so I don't have to mess with the 16.4 oz. bottles.

Another version of this cooker is available at Sam's Club and Camping World for $150 and this version includes a stock pot.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions here. I'm sure some of the more elaborate grills like the Coleman RoadTrip cook better than this one but I just didn't want to devote that much of the limited space in the Interstate.
Wayne

AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #296
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Okay, not quite portable . . unless one has the luxury of a longbed pickup with topper shell. I'm in my fifties and this grill is older than me.

PK Grill

PortableKitchen

Cast-aluminum, on a folding stand. Charcoal.

Barbecue Grills & Charcoal Grills - Barbeque Grills - Watch Video

The stand is actually unnecessary for most cooking. Unit becomes hot, but not hot. I lay out some foil on a wooden table if that is available. I keep the charcoal away from sides (per instructions).

After cooking, close vents, fire goes out, charcoal can be re-used many times. No flare ups, ever. Can double-stack grilles inside to cook for an army. Unbelievably good heat retention, so amount of fuel and use is low.

With a fair amount of charcoal remaining inside probably weighs 30+ lbs without stand.

Glad to have bookmarked the COBB and VOLCANO. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0355.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	837.2 KB
ID:	108565   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	108566  

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:55 AM   #297
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
I ended up buying a Coleman All-in-One Cooking system at REI. Cost was $99 and it comes with a stove grate, grill grate and griddle. After a lot of trial and error I found a way to get it to fit in the 8 gal. Action Packer. It only fits one way but the lid does close completely. Now to see how well it cooks! I'll post my test results here. If it works reasonably well, I'll put some foam gasket material around the lip of the Action Packer lid so the odors are locked inside. I also want to set it up to use propane from the Interstate tank so I don't have to mess with the 16.4 oz. bottles.

Another version of this cooker is available at Sam's Club and Camping World for $150 and this version includes a stock pot.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions here. I'm sure some of the more elaborate grills like the Coleman RoadTrip cook better than this one but I just didn't want to devote that much of the limited space in the Interstate.
Wayne
Wayne, glad you was able to find what you wanted, I dont think you will be disappointed with the coleman. First time I have ever heard someone refer to the roadtrip as elaborate, thanks for the giggle. I purchased mine because of the low maintainance and easy clean up as well as the ability to use at the camper and in tailgating.
I totally agree with you on getting away from those 16.5 bottles, they are a pain and hard to get rid of. If you have something like a farm store up there or maybe a lowes or home depot they have a hose and connector that can go on any gas grill tank or the camper bottle tanks and then connects to the grill which is what I did with mine. I do stongly suggest that you get the 15 footer to give you room to move the grill away from the camper and place it just about anywhere you want.
If you dont have a place to get one let me or someone know that can get one and send it too ya.

Sarge
Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #298
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
keep it simple guys

Walmart, under $15. bucks! It has legs that fold and no frills. Does the job well, can use the little propane cans or we now have a much larger (1/2 reg. size) that last a long time (we grill daily), get can refilled as needed, which is very seldom.
Used the first one for several years, now have a new one, fits in the outside compartment fine. Large enough to grill several meats & veg's or whatever. We put everything on the grill inc. fresh corn which we grill in the husk after soaking in water. MMM good!
That's all this little grill does, grill.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #299
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Kmtyme, Can you tell us something about this $15 wonder? Manufacturer? Model or product name? Or post a picture?
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #300
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Coleman All-in-One

Well, I cooked 3 med size burgers on this little Coleman cooker from REI and it worked just fine. Now this is not going to do what the bigger units some have suggested will do but I think this will work fine for us and it meets our space constraints. I had the local Suburban Propane store make up an adapter with a 10' hose ($20) to add to the 4' hose that came with the Coleman so now I can draw propane from the big tank on the Interstate. I'm a happy guy so far We'll see how I feel about it after a few days on the road.
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #301
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
rotisserie

Just finished watching RV2010. A featured item was a battery operated rotisserie. It uses two D batteries and holds 18 lbs. of food. I think it was called an Aussie Pit. I tried a web search and ebay and came up with the Aussie Grill and Aussie/Pit puppies. Anyone heard of this product and how to research it?

Thanks,
Kathy
Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #302

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2K View Post
Just finished watching RV2010. A featured item was a battery operated rotisserie. It uses two D batteries and holds 18 lbs. of food. I think it was called an Aussie Pit. I tried a web search and ebay and came up with the Aussie Grill and Aussie/Pit puppies. Anyone heard of this product and how to research it?

Thanks,
Kathy
I think you had a few too many letters. It seems to be just "auspit"

Auspit Australian Outdoor Rotisseries - "Low and Slow" BBQ at its finest!
Old 12-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #303

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Wichita , Kansas
we love our camp chef propane cooker $100 plus extra for all the extra stuff
Old 07-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #304
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
Weber Q100, Love it at home and on the beach! Solid cast iron grill is something I thought was only available in high end grills and commercial kitchens, forget portable grills... Sooo happy with it.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #305
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Inver Grove Heights , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmatt View Post
Weber Q100, Love it at home and on the beach! Solid cast iron grill is something I thought was only available in high end grills and commercial kitchens, forget portable grills... Sooo happy with it.
We also love our Weber Q!!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #306
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Princeton , Iowa
Hey Shari, do you have the recipe for the Grand Marnier French toast?
This is my first use of the forum site.
Wildflower2
Old 03-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #307
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
crystal lake , Illinois
We have the Magma Del Mar I think it's called, we have used it for yrs and love it. We just put it on e back of the truck we use to pull the camper with and it's great!

http://magmaproducts.com/shopsite_sc...roduct370.html
Old 03-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #308
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
We have the blue Coleman grill that we bought when it first came out, had its own table and legs, bought all the additional inserts as well for pans, pancake top.
Really love it, can connect by canister or run line to camper propane tanks, fold down legs adjust for level and you are ready to go, flame adjustment is no different than a reg stove, it is non stick so cooking and cleaning is a breeze.
Folds down to a resonable size as well.

Sarge

NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote