Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #381
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Been using our new Volcano grill this trip and love it. I can't recommend it enough. Go for it you won't be disappointed

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #382
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Been using our new Volcano grill this trip and love it. I can't recommend it enough. Go for it you won't be disappointed

I went to the web site for Volcano grills. They look awesome! I liked the Dutch Oven being used with the Volcano.
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #383
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I brought a Dutch oven along but have not yet tried it. Maybe next week

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:19 AM   #384
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Ashland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
Did some "binging" tonite and found this article, which seems to nail it as to what is required to hook a propane grill intended for canisters up to the quick disconnect LP port on the airstream.

Looks like you need to remove the regulator on the grill, and replace with a t-fitting with a quick disconnect that let's you bypass the regulator, then use a quick disconnect hose.

Not sure the weber hose on amazon will work, unless you merely intend on connecting to a spare 5lb propane tank.

This seems like a great solution, but I'm confused on which parts to buy to make this work.
albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #385
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I posted this is another post but I thought I would also post it here. I learnt that Firecraft will be the distributor for all Cobb Grills and accessories. I was also told that they had a good supply of LOKKI charcoal. Their 800 number is 800-745-6109. They also have a web site.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #386
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Well, it took me like 1-2 weeks of a few pages at a time, finished this entire thread....I am relatively grilling newb in gneral...have a larger char broil infra-red propane grill at home for the occassional burgers, steaks, veggies, etc...I have been pleased with this grill...and will be using it alot this spring and summer (last year was my first season with it)...but do not yet have a portable grill of some sort for camping trips.

My wife is asking me what we will buy for our upcoming airstream trips...thus I have a decision to make...

I have never really been taught or done charcoal much, it look inviting as far as creating great flavor....

As far as gas, I think after reading this thread there are just so many great options...cost/quality wise..I think I could live with the weber baby Q1000 or some of the other varieties....

But the cobb looks fascinating and I love that I can cook whole chicken and such - smoke it....the mini green egg also is enticing me...I would love to use that around the house and while camping...its like 400 bucks...that would be like my b-day and christmas combined....saw a bunch of youtube videos of results in this grill and was really really impressed...weight is 36 lbs..concerned it is a bit small, but saw a video where a whole chicken was cooked....love smoked meats...but perhaps it would be a pain? hoping some owners of these will chime in...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #387
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I could not imagine going back to propane, love charcoal.

The thing about the Green Egg, or other comparable grills, is that they are made of ceramic. One drop, or pothole, and they're (potentially) gone.

I own the Costco version of the XL BGE, i love it for the backyard (keeps at 220º for 20 hours on one load of charcoal) but would not consider it for travelling.

For that I've got the Cobb, which I also love. The roasted/smoked chicken is to die for.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #388
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Can one still purchase it and/or is it a good idea given it is closed and operations overseas ?

Old 04-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #389
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Can one still purchase it and/or is it a good idea given it is closed and operations overseas ?
Presumably, Firecraft.com has agreed to handle North American marketing of the Cobb.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #390
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Also, in the age of ebay, I don't worry about getting stuff from overseas. If somebody wants to buy it, somebody will be selling it.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #391
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
We travel with a Baby Q and a small Big Green Egg. Since the Egg weighs about 65 lbs, we unload it only if we're going to be at a site for a week or so. Otherwise we grill on the Q. While the Egg is some work, it does such a good job, we think it's worth it. The Egg is ceramic and has to be packed appropriately. We have a plastic tub we line with bubble wrap and wrap the internal parts with the same and pack them back inside the egg. We've hauled several thousand miles without any problems (yet). We have another Egg at home and use it all year, and have gotten so used to having ribs and brisket, we endure the effort of packing and unloading. Nice thing about traveling, you can take what you want and work only as hard as you want. The important thing is being able to enjoy grilling or smoking after you arrive.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #392
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
Big Green Egg

I have the XL BGE at home in the yard, we love it, thought about the mini one for the airstream, we use baby Q now. My only concern is weight and BGE could crack if banged around. I will tell you however, there is nothing like smoked brisket or ribs or chicken on the BGE... Awesome
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #393
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
I use a weber Q BBQ and really like it ,they make several different models and even have a folding stand (cart) for it that can be used to carry the BBQ to the beach etc they use the small one pound propane cylinders or you can get a hose and adapter to go on to a regular BBQ propane tank, you can also get a adapter to fill the one pound propane tanks at harbour freight tools in the USA for about twenty dollars. But to come back to the weber Q BBQ I have had mine for 3 years and really like it .
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #394
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I really like the looks and ease of the baby Q

That mini seems marginal for cooking for myself - wife and the 2 kids - the small seems better but I can't see me bringing that much more weight along

Cobb is interesting to me - have not ruled it out...

I'll sleep on it for now

Also thought about something like the smokey joe for chacoal if I go that route

I just really (in general) would like to get into the smoking stuff - looks delicious

Old 04-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #395
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
While using charcoal is messier and more work than gas, the food taste so much better. I almost always carry mesquite or hickory wood chips to add to the charcoal for that extra flavor.
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #396
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
I prefer Charwood for my BBQ at home via a chimney starter on a standard Weber kettle cooker. For campgrounds and fire concerned national parks, I am looking at my propane options. Early favorites include the solaire infra-red series, but have concerns these cookers would not handle fish or vegetables well due to the extreme temperatures. I think the Weber Q series + green egg may be my best duo combination to give an all around benefit.

I'd like to hear feedback from those who've used either rotisserie type attachments on their portables or use their portables for baking functions as well. The airstream I have has no boondock capable oven options so I would like to review these capabilities elsewhere. My concern with the Cobb is lack of temperature control (ie firebox air control) to enable more controlled baking functions. While a meat thermometer would be easy for birds or meats, I'd like to include breads, pies, etc. on the options list.

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #397
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Cobb

got to love the Cobb grill. Going on 5 years, still does good, had to replace the cook surface once, don't put it in the dish washer,
Old 04-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #398
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
My concern with the Cobb is lack of temperature control (ie firebox air control) to enable more controlled baking functions. While a meat thermometer would be easy for birds or meats, I'd like to include breads, pies, etc. on the options list.

Ian
The Cobb's temperature hovers between 350 and 400 degrees, so about ok for most baking and roasting applications. It's a bit sensitive to cool breezes, that's the only drawback I've found so far.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #399
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
We have two large green eggs and use to have a small but it migrated to our daughters. In my opinion they are the best grills because they are ceramic, but with that comes the weight. They are heavy and if they are going to be moved they need to be packed very carefully. I have thought about buying a mini for the AS but in my opinion they are to small to cook much food on a small would be better but again moving it can b a hassle.

So instead Ibought a Cobb but to be honest I have not mastered it le I have my green eggs. That said The Cobb is good however I would probably buy a different one today but it would definitly have to use charcoal and not briquetts because of the after taste.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #400
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Yeah - I am looking at a medium or small green egg - the medium weighs about the same as my genset so I know I can finagle it around. My only concern is the ceramic nature and if there are concerns on how to routinely transport it in a pickup truck bed. I'd have to put together a cradle for it to lie into sideways or something - not sure.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote