Old 10-27-2006, 03:06 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I've had the original Coleman RoadTrip grill since it came out 3-4 years ago. It's a very versitile unit. Basicly they took their two burner propane stove and made it so that it could do double duty as a grill. The burners are the exact same as the stove but the base has a removable pan that you fill with water. This helps keep food moist and makes clean-up a snap. Someone gave me the tip to add a couple of drops of dish detergent to the water which makes it even easier. The grill surface is two halfs that can be changed out to create variations where one side is a grill and the other is a griddle or stove ring for cooking just like the standard propane stove.

As far as a straight grill it's not up to the same standard as the Weber or others mentioned here. It's appeal for me is that it does so many different things. Also since it's two burners are independent you only use half the propane when you only need half the grill which is 90% of the time for us. I've recently started using one of the smoker boxes which does require both burners. That works pretty well but I'm still learning the ins and outs of that.

DON'T buy the LXE model generically know as "the red RoadTrip and the one they sell at CampingWorld. The procelain grills I don't think will be as good as the non-stick aluminum on the blue model and, from what I've been told you aren't supposed to use it with the top down. No idea why they say this, in my manual for the blue grill it's recommended and essential in wind or to slow cook something. The top is my major beef with the design. They didn't make it tall enough and on the red model it's even worse. According to the Coleman site a few months back the LXE was being discontinued (don't see that now but I'd beware).

-Bernie

Old 10-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #156
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
Prior to my AS I had a power boat. The grill I had from the boat works just great with the AS. All stainless and all parts are replaceable if you happen to loose, break or wear out. It uses disposable bottles and is not interchangable with charcoal usage. It is made by Magma and is available at marine stores such as: www.westmarine.com. It breaks down quick and easy so it is easy to store.

WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:21 PM   #157
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I like the weber Q and the Fire & Ice Grill. If you want small go with the weber Q.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:04 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I like the Baby Q. I have had food grilled on it at several rallies. But here and those owners as well mentioned that they cannot clean the bottom well and it does hold odors. Have any of you owners found ways to minimize that for storage? I keep the grill in the AS.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:21 AM   #159
Craftsman

We also use the baby-Q and it's a great little grill especially with the light weight stand that folds down for transport. They do make a carry bag with wheels for transport and storage. Not super easy to clean under the burner tubes though. We like it so much that I keep it on the deck right out side the back door for grilling year round. The much larger Weber has been moved farther down on our property for summer use.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:22 AM   #160
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Don't know if I responded to this one yet, but I am also a big baby Q fan. I even got the LP tank connector hose so that I don't have to keep buying those little tanks each time...plus I can run my propane gen from the same 20lb tank (or the supply on the Airstream if I wanted).

Charcoal has a great taste, there is no question IMHO, but the Q series grills by Weber really have IMHO done a great job at bringing a great cooking device to market.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:33 AM   #161

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We bought one of the "tool box" grills at Camping World, and it has worked very well for us. It is an ideal size for two or four people. What I really like about this grill is that it stores under the couch in our Safari. That is a really important feature to us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:46 AM   #162
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yukon , Oklahoma
Here is another one to throw into the mix - "Grill 4 All":

www.kristline.com

It fits nicely through the exterior door of our '03 Safari. I have had a Magma for many years that hung off the back of our Sea Ray. It fits in the exterior storage as long as I take the lid off, put the grill in, then put the lid through. It needs a complete overhaul, so we decided to try the Kristline. I just got it and have not tried it out, but it looks like it is well designed and built. It, too, is stainless steel.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:24 AM   #163
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Another vote for the Coleman road trip. I have the grill top, the griddle top and a normal burner rack for use under a pot. The connection to a 20# tank is nice, and seems to burn hotter than the small bottles. I also have an adpater that splits the main 30# bottle on trailer to allow it to supply both the trailer and the grill.

Jeff
'91 350 LE MH
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:53 AM   #164
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I like the Baby Q. I have had food grilled on it at several rallies. But here and those owners as well mentioned that they cannot clean the bottom well and it does hold odors. Have any of you owners found ways to minimize that for storage? I keep the grill in the AS.
As I mentioned earlier we love the Baby Q! As for cleaning, I have found Easy Off Grill Cleaner to be the best for cleaning both the grill and the inside. I just srpay it on, let is sit and do its job then hose off the grill plate and the inside. Done!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #165
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
When I store ours under the dinette seat, I place it in a good Glad garbage bag and close it. That seals most, if not all the smell.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 11-30-2006, 03:05 PM   #166
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Coleman Road Trip

We've had this grill for 7 years and would recommend it. We're on the road 6-8 months a year and use it a lot. What's nice is you can get extra grills or griddles for it making it more versital then others. Right now one of the burners is beginning to rust but everything else is in great shape. We'd buy another for sure. This one has spent a lot of time out in the elements, mostly along the coast from Fla to Nova Scotia.
GreggH
Old 11-30-2006, 03:06 PM   #167
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
When I store ours under the dinette seat, I place it in a good Glad garbage bag and close it. That seals most, if not all the smell.
When we bought the Weber cover at JC for it I thought that would help with the smell, but I guess I use too much marinade! Like your idea of the big bag. Now do you finf Glad to be better than Heffty?
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #168
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Now do you finf Glad to be better than Heffty?
I get whatever is on sale and is thicker than the normal kitchen type bags. So far I've only tore one up. Seems to do the job.