Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #221

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
We have a Weber Baby Q and have been using it at home off of a 20lb propane cylinder. When we take to the road this summer the grill will be with us but I don't want to take the 20 lb tank nor do I want to hook up to the big tanks on the trailer.

Several people here have indicated using a 16oz disposable. Does anyone have any indication of how long one of these cylinders lasts?
You have to take off the bottle holder ring to handle the fat bottles. I went out and bought a smaller 11 lb. tank. You might find that a suitable alternative.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #222
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Cobb

Got a Beer Can Chicken on my Cobb right now....

Not only is the Chicken "violated" by the beercan, but the cobb has a moat that has been in it too.....

Nothing like Beer infused Chicken for Dinner tonight!
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #223
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
We have a Weber Baby Q and have been using it at home off of a 20lb propane cylinder. When we take to the road this summer the grill will be with us but I don't want to take the 20 lb tank nor do I want to hook up to the big tanks on the trailer.

Several people here have indicated using a 16oz disposable. Does anyone have any indication of how long one of these cylinders lasts?
We use an 11 lb tank from Cabella's. Perfect size and it's completely flat on the bottom.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #224
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Woodflame?

We had a Woodflame Delecto on order since September last year. It was to be a birthday present for me. After several inquiries and promises of delivery, we were finally told in March that they would not be delivered.

Anyone know what happened to them?

I ended up with a Weber Q 220 and even though it's not a wood burner, it seems to work really well. I like the way they designed the grate to block the flame from coming directly through.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #225
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
Sport Grill MVP

Just bought the Sport Grill MVP. Looked at the Coleman Road Trip but was not impressed with the quality. However, the Sport Grill MVP offers the same versitility with a higher lever of construction. For example, the grill/griddle components are made of Cast Iron. And it seemed a lot more durable. Works with both small propane tanks or can be adapted for use with larger tanks. Definately worth a look!
Lauerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #226
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgl6
I found this in a ad when I did a search for the baby Q on Google Hope this helps.....SAM

A disposable 14.1-oz. propane cylinder (not included) lasts up to 1.5 hours.
Hey thanks - that's the answer I was looking for! I appreciate it!
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #227
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
You have to take off the bottle holder ring to handle the fat bottles. I went out and bought a smaller 11 lb. tank. You might find that a suitable alternative.

Jack
Thanks Jack - Yup - the ring is still on there so if I want to use the fat one it would have to come off. I'm leaning towards an 11lb tank - I think it's a great idea. There is also a 5 lb tank that I might consider. Then when I have the big tanks filled I can have the little one done at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
You should consider replacing one of your regulator outlets with a "Y" or "Tee" that allows you to add another propane hose to your existing bottle, that way you wouldn't have to haul another bottle out when camping and could just hook your Weber up to your trailer and burn some meat..
It's not a bad idea and a lot of people do that for their grills, but, it also limits the location for using the grill. I'd rather have the flexibility to be able to move it around freely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstream'n
We use an 11 lb tank from Cabella's. Perfect size and it's completely flat on the bottom.
That's the direction that I'm leaning in. I just don't know if I'm going to get a 5 lb or the 11 lb.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #228
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
I also have the Coleman RoadTrip. Also purchased the flat 'griddle' for doing the pancakes, bacon etc, AND the stove top attachment for a coffee pot, soup pot etc. Comes with the regular grill tops suitable for steaks, dogs and the like. ALSO purchased the extra hose and adapter and a small 5lb propane tank. Have used a dozen times and still on the first tank. I don't like the small 1 lb tanks.
DrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #229
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPlay
I also have the Coleman RoadTrip. Also purchased the flat 'griddle' for doing the pancakes, bacon etc, AND the stove top attachment for a coffee pot, soup pot etc. Comes with the regular grill tops suitable for steaks, dogs and the like. ALSO purchased the extra hose and adapter and a small 5lb propane tank. Have used a dozen times and still on the first tank. I don't like the small 1 lb tanks.
I dont know what the coleman looks like but my Thermos grill to go comes with a 60/40 split griddle/flat for eggs and pan cakes....SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #230
1 Rivet Member

2001 30' Limited
Fonthill , Ontario
I use the stainless steel Napoleon portable grill. Excelent quality but a bit bulky for extensive travel vacations. Pricey at $325, but should last forever, mine has over 30,000 miles on it and I use the trailer tanks almost exclusively but can use the small tanks as well.
6thChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #231
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
We stopped by Camping World yesterday and bought a refillable 5 lb tank. It seems like it will be the perfect size to haul around with the Baby-Q. Ir should last for while between refills and we won't be throwing any of the non-refillable canisters into the environment.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #232
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
As reported earlier in this thread we had an infrared grill from frontage but it was too hot! we burned more food and never really made friends with it. last year we got a Napoleon Freestyle propane grill that came with a cool attachment to mount on the hitch receiver - love this grill!!! It comes in both infrard and regular burner - we got the regular burner... no more burnt offerings (well not many)
I bought one of these on clearence last fall. Paid just over $200. Stainless and heavy. She will last forever! No hitch attachment though.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #233
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia

The Holland works great, and just fits right in at the campsite....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 087.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	75466  
Old 02-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #234
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Bob,Sandra,

Does the Holland get hot enough? The web site says that it only goes to 5800 BTU. I like to get a good char on the steaks and was afraid that would not get hot enough to do that. I like the look and design of the Holland.

I have been driving myself nuts trying to narrow it down. So far I have been looking at:

Char-Broil Grill-to-go

Weber Q220

Holland Grill

They are all in the same price category. The char broil comes with a stand so that is where I am leaning but it seems a bit big. I like that it says it is 14K BTU, but you never can tell if the manufacturer is using the same rating.

Does any one have any of these?

Nick
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:12 AM   #235
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6930 View Post
Bob,Sandra,

Does the Holland get hot enough? The web site says that it only goes to 5800 BTU. I like to get a good char on the steaks and was afraid that would not get hot enough to do that. I like the look and design of the Holland.

I have been driving myself nuts trying to narrow it down. So far I have been looking at:

Char-Broil Grill-to-go

Weber Q220

Holland Grill

They are all in the same price category. The char broil comes with a stand so that is where I am leaning but it seems a bit big. I like that it says it is 14K BTU, but you never can tell if the manufacturer is using the same rating.

Does any one have any of these?

Nick
Nick,
The Holland has worked well for us. The newer models do have folding legs which would make it easier to store/carry. Carry bag is also available. Size was an important consideration, and it just fit's right in, stores in the coach under table.
One thing that is a bit different, you do have to get used to letting it do it's thing...I was in the habit of opening frequently to ck progress. Keep the burner clean and patience are in order. We love skewer meals, and the fact it doesn't flair up is terriffic. All & all it's been the best gas grill we've used.

May be better out there but we be Happy.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #236
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
We Love the Cadac Safari Chef

You might want to consider the Safari Chef grill, it is light weight, high BTUs and compact for storage. We love the way it grills, and the versatility of the other cooking capabilities, have been great. It all stores inside itself and comes in a carrying bag (stores under the bed!)

safarichefgrill.com
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #237
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
We really like our COBB GRILL. This is a charcoal grill.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #238
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Safari Chef Grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbambi View Post
You might want to consider the Safari Chef grill, it is light weight, high BTUs and compact for storage. We love the way it grills, and the versatility of the other cooking capabilities, have been great. It all stores inside itself and comes in a carrying bag (stores under the bed!)

safarichefgrill.com

(1) Will the Safari get hot so you can sear a steak?
(2) Can you get 4 T bone steaks on it?
(2) Can you hook it to a large propane tank with a adapter hose?
Their web site does not make it clear.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #239
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
(1) Will the Safari get hot so you can sear a steak?
(2) Can you get 4 T bone steaks on it?
(2) Can you hook it to a large propane tank with a adapter hose?
Their web site does not make it clear.
Jim - Check out the Weber Q series. We have a small one that's about 5 years old now. It does a great job with steaks and leaves nice grill lines on them too. Their website is... Weber Grills and Accessories - Grills

The propane connections are really flexible too.

They come in a couple of sizes so you'll find one big enough to sear 4 really big t-bones!

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 02-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #240
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
Safari Grill ???

Hi Jimandrod, sorry it took so long to get back to you! The safari does do a great sear on the steaks and the btus were so intense, that I commented the first time I used it, that it was better than the full grill we had a home. We grilled 2 ribeyes just fine, and there was plenty of room. You could do t-bones, they would certainly fill up the grill.

It uses the little green propane tanks that screw into the bottom of the grill. If you can adapt to that for your propane tanks, then it will work.

I liked the versatility of the grill, and it was easy to store, and not a chore to clean or lug around. Camping world sells it, so you might want to check it out either online or at your local store.

Hope this helps!

Nan
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote