Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Maggie, if you could only choose 1, would it be paper plates or the french fry boats and why? They sound very handy.
Probably the French fry boats....which you can get in different sizes at a restaurant supply store, don't know about Sam's, etc.

I keep the paper plates, but reach for the ff boats more often. That they have sides is a real advantage, for veggies with a little hummus, etc., or even a main dish that isn't too wet, like scrambled eggs, something with rice, etc.

My go-to dishware are the Chatham chowder bowls.....they are beautiful, sturdy and haven't chipped or cracked yet.

We bought them at least 10 years ago, "for the new motor home", when we had not yet even heard of an Airstream Interstate.

Always a lot of one dish meals when traveling, and bowls are perfect for eating without a table...which is life in the Interstate most of the time. There is a pedestal table, but we took it out after the first trip and never used it again.

I detest plastic dinnerware, too, and also styrofoam.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	255852  
Old 01-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
YES, I WOULD like fries with that!

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. http://Airgo.blogspot.com

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
The corelle coffee cups we have are old and constructed same material as rest corelle dishs not porcilain. Pattern disc. long time ago have only broken 1 small bowl [many pieces]. Quit using in AS as way to heavy for flimsy const. cabinets, now use nice plastic plates and nice plastized paper plates with holders, nice plastic wine glasses that look like glass, thro away plastic tumblers as we use a lot of them, freebie ceramic coffee mugs and correlle cups, keep in upright holder.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
For us, proper, beautiful coffee mugs have always been a must....they are part of the ritual and joy of coffee and tea.

The cups that came with our Corelle set...purchased in 2002, and still completely intact...went immediately into the Goodwill donation bag.

Maggie
Old 01-18-2016, 06:34 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
[QUOTE=Jammer;1737337]
The "Corelle" coffee cups are ordinary porcelain.

I'm curious about porcelain Corelle cups. Why are they porcelain and how do you know that? Is that true only of the current designs? We do have one small crack at the top of one mug and I'm wondering why it hasn't shattered.
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #46
CAV
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Dubuque , Iowa
Bed Bath & Beyond had really nice acrylic barware this summer; about $5/ea. Looked as nice as glass
CAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
For us, proper, beautiful coffee mugs have always been a must....they are part of the ritual and joy of coffee and tea.

You have my vote
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:24 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois

There are things that should make you smile, and warm your heart, when you look at them and when you use them....pretty mugs are one of those.

I have too many.

Maggie
Old 01-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Like you we have to many as I buy them, every place we travel to if they are made locally. I refuse to buy a mug that says Ocean city, Md or Barcelona Spain if it is not made locally. How ever we only carry two or three on the AS to save space
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #50
Coast to Coast

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Thanks for all of your thoughts - we found a great line of 'plastic' glassware called Strahl - heavy, no lines, etc. A little pricey, but so is our AS!
Two Peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #51
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
[QUOTE=Outdoors4me;1737740]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The "Corelle" coffee cups are ordinary porcelain.

I'm curious about porcelain Corelle cups. Why are they porcelain and how do you know that? Is that true only of the current designs? We do have one small crack at the top of one mug and I'm wondering why it hasn't shattered.
I broke one in half and looked at it. The fact that it was only in two pieces, and a visual inspection of the cross sectional area of the break, both led me to conclude that it was not made of the same material as the plates and bowls. Another giveaway is that the cups are much thicker and heavier.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Tube Socks

The best thing to store mugs and glasses in - Cheap cotton tube socks. Let's assume you carry heavyish Libby stemmed wine glasses. One breaks in the cabinet. If it's inside the tube sock, you throw the tube sock away. If it's not - it takes 15 minutes to clean the cabinet and you always worry about the splinters that got away.

Ditto for my Corelle coffee mugs. If they break, I'll find replacements at the local thrift shop.

I remember the early Corelle sets which had Corelle cups. The cups were very thin - you could tell whether you had coffee or tea in them by looking through the side. They also had hook handles - that curved around under the finger but didn't join back up with the body of the cup. Why are they now China? probably cost - and the thicker mug style retains heat longer. That really fine bone china that became popular in the mid 1800's is beautiful, but drink quickly or drink tepid coffee or tea.

Paula
Old 01-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
We use the square Corelle plates and bowls. They travel so well and take up very little room. Found some plated silver in a drawer at home we never used and thought "why not?" We use Strahl polycarbonate stemless wine glasses. Have the weight and clarity of glass, but will not break. Not Riedel, but really good and won't break.
judyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:58 PM   #54
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We love these for coffee and wine: http://www.casarocinante.com/Blog/Happy-Camper-Glasses

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacnps View Post
Thanks for all of your thoughts - we found a great line of 'plastic' glassware called Strahl - heavy, no lines, etc. A little pricey, but so is our AS!
We love our Strahl wine glasses. We were using some years ago on our boat and they are also perfect for the Airstream. I like their small wine glasses with the colored stems. I believe West Marine still carries them.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote