Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
Beddys Sheets and Comforter in one - too hot for summer

Hi there streamers,

I am posting here under "provisioning" as didn't see where else was appropriate. Purchased Beddys for our twins in a 2018 26' RBT and didn't do enough research. They came with a 30 day return policy. I didn't think to check on the return cost. $90, they had to receive them within 14 days of making a return request. They do have a 100% cotton version that I sadly didn't order which probably would have worked. I will use these on the rare occasions the temps fit the bedding as they fit nicely, look good, and allow for easy access to the bins under the beds. If I only sewed like so many here, these would be great to make.

If you camp where the temps keep your trailer between 68-72 these are fine. Other wise stick to the AB bedding 100% cotton fitted sheets for the twins.

https://www.ablifestyles.net
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Do you know someone who sews? These sheets are so easy to make, and I buy sheets at thrift stores ($2-4 for dbl) so you can really get a bargain if you can just find someone who sews! I even have different "wardrobes" for my little coach, all materials coming from thrift stores. You can really have fun with this....
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Take sewing lessons. You will never regret it. Get a starter machine for about $200 and learn the basics. (Old Singers from the 1950s have WONDERFUL instruction books. 80+ pages of everything from threading the machine, loading the bobbin, and what all the wierd looking presser feet can do. Reprints abound on ebay.) Small businesses that sell machines and teach basic sewing are rapidly disappearing but check craigslist, etc. There are quilting guilds and groups that knit, crochet and sew for charitable purposes and will point you toward a teacher if you prefer.

Plus there is always something new to learn. Even sewing.on a button by hand has variations depending on the button style and fabric thickness.

Men: 20% or more class takers ARE male. Don't be shy. A sewing machine IS a power tool.

PBS has several sewing and crafting series - and sells books and DVDs of the whole series. Lots of stuff on YouTube and the various machine manufacturers also have DVDs.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
In our household this husband does all the sewing. DW and daughter do the knitting and crocheting projects.

Yes, it is a power tool...and has it’s own safety hazards!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:44 AM   #5
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Sew Away

Like Rich, this guy does the sewing projects for this household. Once you master the basics, the whole world of fabrics become your choice of trailer upgrade from curtains to bedspread to dinette cushions and maybe even a couch redo (attached pics). It is never too late to learn an indoor winter crafting skill to prep for Spring.

And, making Airstream fitted sheets from standard store bought sizes takes mere minutes which opens up a wide variety of prints, patterns, natural or manufactured thread types/weights, and satin through fleece options from which to start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed Gaucho.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	359683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Bedspread.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	359684  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinette Area.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	359685  

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructor View Post
. . .
I am posting here under "provisioning" as didn't see where else was appropriate.
. . .
Actually you posted in the Stella's Kitchen sub-forum, so the too-warm Beddys may be on-topic in a disjointed way? [can't lower the temp?]

Many posts here are in the so-called "wrong forum," but that is not at all a hindrance to a good discussion. On many devices/phones, I don't think you can actually see your forum location, like folks on a computer can.

FYI -- Stella's Kitchen: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/

Here is the General Interior Topics sub-forum, which has other similar threads FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/

"AB Lifetyles" on AF in a variety of sub-forums:
https://www.google.com/search?q=AB+L...=airforums.com
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ns-147665.html

We have the AB Lifestyles bedding . . . mattress pad and sheets. Great stuff!

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Do you know someone who sews? These sheets are so easy to make, and I buy sheets at thrift stores ($2-4 for dbl) so you can really get a bargain if you can just find someone who sews! I even have different "wardrobes" for my little coach, all materials coming from thrift stores. You can really have fun with this....
Very easy! Mostly straight stitches! Worth borrowing a sewing machine

DIY Zipper Bedding
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
This is an interesting thread.
Coincidentally my mother gave her old sewing machine to my 10 year old daughter for Christmas who wants to learn. The sad part is neither my wife or myself know how to sew. I got out the book that came with the machine (Viking) and taught myself to thread the machine. My daughter and I both played around with straight stitching some old rags trying to get the feel of what to do.
Taking a class is something I need to do as my end goal is to make sheets, curtains or what ever needs mendin' around the house.
Does anybody have any ideas or a pattern on how to make sheets for Airstream twin beds? We have a set of AB Lifestyles sheets that are shrinking and need to be replaced.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Does anybody have any ideas or a pattern on how to make sheets for Airstream twin beds? We have a set of AB Lifestyles sheets that are shrinking and need to be replaced.

COPY OLD SHEETS Just cut the threads on the seams iron flat (do not stretch the fabric) and remove the elastic if it still has any spring in it. Lay on top of a new sheet on a big flat table, pin the pattern to the sheet and cut, after you figure out how YOU want to put elastic on the new sheet!
Sew all the seams except the one where you will put on the elastic. Sew wrong sides together 1/4 inch from the edge, flip fabric, crease along the seam and sew again 3/8 inch from the edge. Encases the raw edge and makes a neat strong seam. If you are afraid the sheet will be too tight, you can seam on the back side 1/4 inch from the edge, then zig zag over the raw edge.
Sewing on new elastic is tricky. Manufactured sheets are done with a serger... one day you will get one. If your home machine has a zig zag setting use that at 8 to 10 stitches per inch. Practice with scrap cloth first. ( Approximate instructions- elastic has varying amount of snap back- Assume you need 7 inches of elastic for every foot of fabric on the corner curves. You want a 21 inch "pucker" or gather on a 36 inch curve of sheet fabric. Pin the elastic on at each end of the 36 inch curve, then pin again at 12 inches of fabric to 7 in. Of elastic, then 6 inches of fabric to 3.5 of elastic. Go to the sewing machine and stitch stretching each section of elastic to lay flat on the fabric. Pull each pin as it reaches the presser foot. Never run over pins.

Easy cheat on elastic. Look at granny pants with elastic waistbands. The elastic is sewed between two layers of fabric and floats free. Use wide bias tape and create said pocket. Slide elastic through using a bodkin (long metal thing with a closeable hook on the end - Amazon will have it) or improvise with a small safety pin you can feel through the fabric. Gather the fabric so both ends of the elastic are visible (pin the starting one down. Sew the ends of the elastic to the sheet pocket, removing the pins, then you're done.

Or super easy... Get grandma to visit and have her teach you or hit craigslist and do a "wanted lessons" ad.

MODIFY STANDARD Twin SHEETS. Buy cheapest ones for the first practice set.
Put the bottom sheet on the mattress. Use your hands to smooth from square end toward curved end. Be sure to get the elastic on the sheet tucked under the mattress. Pin the sheet to the mattress about every foot just to keep everything tight. Fold the excess sheet over the top of the mattress. Mark the top edge of the mattress on the sheet with tailor's chalk (Amazon again). Remove the sheet from the bed. Starting where you began marking the curved line make a second line that reflects where the top elastic should be tucked. Good guess 12 inches from the edge of the sheet. You have now drawn a banana shape. Cut the banana out one inch inside of the chalk line AND cut one end free from the point of the banana to the edge of the sheet. With the raw edges pointing UP sew the two edges of the banana shut starting at the uncut end. When you get to the other end you'll have about a foot of excess edge fabric. Leave about one inch and cut the rest off. Remove the sheet from the machine, flip it over and fold the sheet along your first seam, then sew a second seam 1/2 inches in (covers the raw edge while reinforcing the seam.) Finish the job by folding the edge where you cut the excess off under 1/2 inch and top stitching it to the other raw edge (top stitching - look at a jeans pocket) For easy way to quickly see the curve you could do the final seam in contrasting color thread.
Leave the top sheet alone if you aren't a perfectionist. Learn to fold a mitered corner from a Veteran.

And for people who already sew, of course you can just remove the elastic, cut the banana off of the corner and resew the elastic to the new edge.. but sewing elastic to anything is only easy if you (a) have a variable feed serger, (b) know how to use wooly nylon thread or an equivalent or (c) have drunk enough margaritas to just not care if the zig zag results are Fubar.

NOTE: an RV queen is six inches shorter than a home queen. On my east west queen the banana is on the corner facing the back wall and there is about a 3 foot extension where I cut 5 inches out to the corner next to the drawers (25 fb). That is the corner I cut free and remove excess edge material.

Fitted sheets aren't that fitted. A bit loose or tight is not a huge deal. You'll pay quadruple for custom made and your second set will be duck soup. SWEAT when someone asks you to fit a ballet dancer's costume using $45 per yard shantung. Or decline firmly and politely.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
WOW - Tremendous reply. I'm going save this thread and re-read a few times.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
WOW - Tremendous reply. I'm going save this thread and re-read a few times.
Crispy... google search shows your community center has sewing classes from time to time. Resources are everywhere. Many Jo-ann fabric stores sell machines and offer courses - and of course have fabric, thread and doodads out the wahzoo!
Old 01-23-2020, 05:56 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Another project to fit in. Appreciate the link, made it look life something a newbie could sew. Think I will start with a pillow case when I make the time for this.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
You'll probably think I'm far too old-fashioned, but I use only flat sheets in my '66 Safari. I learned how to make up a bed back in the 1940's when no one had even heard of fitted sheets. We tucked the edges of the bottom sheet under the mattress, and it worked. I use the same method in the Airstream.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Another project to fit in. Appreciate the link, made it look life something a newbie could sew. Think I will start with a pillow case when I make the time for this.
Darlin' it is about a 2 hour job done during commercials while watching Blue Bloods on network broadcast - for an experienced person. There is NO reason a 10 year old with normal intelligence and halfway decent hand-eye coordination can't become an accomplished seamstress/tailor. Send to class and Delegate!
Old 01-23-2020, 06:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I totally agree that sewing is easy to learn and a very useful skill. My Mom was crazy enough to trust me with a needle when I was 4 years old, and I've been sewing ever since. I can definitely confirm Paula's statement that a 10-year old can do it, because I was that 10 year old, very long ago.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
I am less than 150 miles from you during the winter (Dade City FL). Perhaps we will meet during a rally and I can do a set (with show and tell) for you. I only carry one basic machine with me when travelling.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
I totally agree that sewing is easy to learn and a very useful skill. My Mom was crazy enough to trust me with a needle when I was 4 years old, and I've been sewing ever since. I can definitely confirm Paula's statement that a 10-year old can do it, because I was that 10 year old, very long ago.
I was three and playing with her machine. She caught me and taught me... so she wouldn't faint when I ran a finger or two under the needle. Made me turn the wheel by hand for quite a while. My fashion dolly had a pretty nice free wardrobe. Mom was not too fond of the mink stole I made from a squirrel tail. [emoji849]
Old 01-23-2020, 07:09 AM   #18
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Hi there streamers,

I am posting here under "provisioning" as didn't see where else was appropriate. Purchased Beddys for our twins in a 2018 26' RBT and didn't do enough research. They came with a 30 day return policy. I didn't think to check on the return cost. $90, they had to receive them within 14 days of making a return request. They do have a 100% cotton version that I sadly didn't order which probably would have worked. I will use these on the rare occasions the temps fit the bedding as they fit nicely, look good, and allow for easy access to the bins under the beds. If I only sewed like so many here, these would be great to make.

If you camp where the temps keep your trailer between 68-72 these are fine. Other wise stick to the AB bedding 100% cotton fitted sheets for the twins.

https://www.ablifestyles.net
We recently became aware of Beddy's when we saw the product mentioned on a YouTube video so we're curious about the product line and it's merit.

It's not obvious to me why you don't like the Beddy's product. I want to understand your issue(s) so I don't make the same mistake(s).

The 30 day return policy is a limitation but why do you want to return the product? And the return cost of $90... does that apply since you apparently didn't return the product within the 30 day and 14 day time periods?

You referred to the 100% cotton version, which you didn't purchase, so please describe why the cotton product would be better or why your material is inferior.

You referred to temperature (in the trailer I presume, perhaps outside temperature) but what does this have to do with the product? Does the Beddy's product make you too cold or too hot? You mentioned too hot for summer. Have you tried them in the winter? What did you think about them in the winter?

You referred to sewing. What does that have to do with the Beddy's product. If you sewed would you change the item you purchased? Would you make your own version of Beddy's? If so, how would your upgrade to Beddy's, or making your own bedding, be different than the item you purchased from Beddy's?

Thanks
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Growing up poor, my mother made her dresses from the fabric bags that dad bought seed corn in. (side note for the yout's: It was pretty common and the corn came in print bags, several types, so mom would tell dad to get the cotton bags with the blue flowers, so she could stock up until she had enough to make a dress)
I digress. So if I wanted a backpack, I had to make it. It was no big deal.
I will say, heavy fabric, like upholstery, can overwhelm a regular machine, especially when you have many layers like in the corners.
Or denim, or leather.
I don't think I could do seams with a welt, but it's never too late.

Fast forward 60 years and I have a Beddy's I haven't installed yet. I got it mainly because I like the easy making of the bed, vs. the messy look of a standard bedspread that's never square.
Beddy's needs to hook up with AB Lifestyles, and make a Beddy that's sized for the 11" radius short queen, as well as singles sized for the Airstream.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
You'll probably think I'm far too old-fashioned, but I use only flat sheets in my '66 Safari. I learned how to make up a bed back in the 1940's when no one had even heard of fitted sheets. We tucked the edges of the bottom sheet under the mattress, and it worked. I use the same method in the Airstream.
Not al all. I didn’t start making my own bed until 6 years in 1964. Mom only had flats in the beginning. Was so happy for fitted. The twins in our airstream slide around and the pups have been known to play on the beds. I can’t image flats staying tucked in. Such a 1st world problem. 🤦*♀️