Old 05-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
On our last trip, to Montana, we knew it might not be BBQ time yet, so I took a few of my premade frozen meals. Worked out really great. Plus we learned how to light our oven in record speed. Was so thrilled with the results that I have been restocking the freezer with more meals. the past couple weeks, made spagetti sauce, lasagna, beef and chicken enchiladas. More beans and navy bean soup. Also some chicken and ww orzo soup. Still have a few meatloaves in the freezer. What has been great about this batch cooking is that on nights when I really don't feel like cooking, just take out something already made, bake and add a salad. Tomorrow I am making twice baked potatoes (bacon, sour cream, cheese & more cheese, green onions, and butter - not diet food, but really good none the less).
Twice-baked potatoes are almost a meal unto themselves---add a good salad or vegetable and dinner is served.

We are doing pulled pork in the crockpot this weekend, to divide into seal-a-meal bags and freeze. One of hubbie's favorite foods.

Maggie

Old 06-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
maggie, would you be willing to share your pulled pork recipe? I only have done pork tenderloin - breaded amd fried - very healthful I might add. Chops etc, but never really did a pulled prk - which I assume you are using a pork butt. Also after you have cooked it how do you serve it? Thanks, Susan

Old 06-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Helpfput Hint

I have been doing a lot of batch cooking lately. What I have found to be very helpful for me (since I still have a issue with standing for a long time after my bilateral knee replacement) I do all the shopping one day, prep the following day and actually put all the meals together the next day. Makes it a little longer process, but for me it works really well. Then we have several meals in the freezer. My problem now =- I have no more room in the freezer and have a ton more ideas for new mealsl.
Also I have found that our local dollar store has a great assortment of trays and bowls (aluminun_) great for freezing and throwing away after heating.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We've used the FoodSaver for years...

We seal up batches of home made chili, stew, soup, etc in bags with enough for two servings - pre-freeze at home - when this kind of food is sealed, the bag will be quite 'flat' - we use the larger bag size...these will stack easy in the freezer, and also will thaw quicker due to the 'thin' size...

We also seal up dry products such as instant potatoes, and then write the add'l ingredients req'd on the bag with a felt pen...you can also make up several bags of flour (or corn meal) and seasonings to dust your fresh caught Trout, etc...

Our local market makes GREAT BBQ ribs (we wait for their sales) - then cut them up in 4-rib pieces and seal two per bag and freeze - they last for months and stow easily...

A few steaks, hamburger and hot dogs also seal up well when they're on sale, then frozen for later - when camping, we usually put a few frozen steaks right into the ice chest and use them for the 2nd or 3rd day's meal when they'll them be thawed out...

We buy our French Roast coffee beans in bulk, and we bag them up in 1/2 pound bags - then grind em' as we need em' at home or on the road...

I even bag up some our spare parts to keep them clean, dry and organized - usually only the parts I consider as necessary, but not needed often...

The FoodSaver is a great kitchen gadget to have around...they have sales on their stuff all the time on their web site...
Old 06-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Got a good buy on a Black Forest ham. 4# for $9.99. Used the meat slicer and got several packages of ham sliced for sandwiches. A few more to add to scrambled eggs, omelets and a quiche. Also some ham steaks for dinner, just add scalloped potatoes a veggie and some salad.
Vacuumed sealed and they will last for quite sometime.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
Quote:
maggie, would you be willing to share your pulled pork recipe? I only have done pork tenderloin - breaded amd fried - very healthful I might add. Chops etc, but never really did a pulled prk - which I assume you are using a pork butt. Also after you have cooked it how do you serve it? Thanks, Susan

Susan,
I hope I can help you. We make pulled pork all the time. I see that you live in Oregon and you can shop at Winco. I buy pork shoulder or butt, they are pretty darn cheap there. I buy one with lots of skin and fat on them because this has lots of flavor. They are about $12 for one.
Put it in your crockpot with the skin side up and quarter an onion and put it on top. I then put about 1 cup of water in just so it won't burn before the juices start flowing. I let it cook a couple of hours. You will know when it's done because it will fall apart. After it's done I take it out of the pot and pull all the skin, fat, and bone off and throw that away. I save the broth for soup like bean with bacon. I don't know how many people you are servering but it serves my family of 6 (4 teen boys) one meal. They eat at least two sandwiches each and then there might be a little left over.
So if you only have a few to serve here are a couple of ideas to use for pork.
1. Pulled pork- put into pan and use Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce (mix till warm)and serve with cole slaw over the top of pork between toasted buns.
2. Any Mexican dish, enchildas, burittos ect. All can be prepared before hand and frozen.
3. Thai soup
I hope this helps you a bit.
Meredith
Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Meredith, thanks so much. Will try one soon. Since my current thing is the batch cooking, I like that it can be used in many different dishes. Susan
Old 06-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
Let me know if there is anything else you are looking for. With my cooking back ground and large family, I have tons of ideas for you.
Meredith
Old 06-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Meredith, Anything that you have with batch cooking is totally welcome. We are a retired couple so I try to make a big batch of somethings, and then freeze them in 2-3 servings. I found at the dollar store some great disposable pans which are perfect for smaller batch meals. Plus we also like to try new things
Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
I hadn't seen this earlier, so apologize for not responding.

I buy a whole boneless pork loin, when they are on sale for $1.69-$1.79 a pound. They usually need very little trimming.

I buy the biggest one I can find, sometimes a second one that I will have the butcher slice thickly for "Iowa chops", to be bagged up and frozen.

Put the whole thing in the crockpot, liberally pepper and garlic powder all over, and a little salt. Cook 12-14 hours on low (we start this in the evening). The next morning, pull off any fat that remains, which will separate easily from the pork, and pull apart with a couple of forks into chunks.

I leave all the juices in there, add just a little barbecue sauce or other BBQ seasoning that you like, and cook 4-5 more hours. The meat will shred easily, is juicy and is well-seasoned.

Cool, portion out into seal-a-meal or similar bags and freeze.

We add a bit of sauce to the meat as we make sandwiches. Yum!

Maggie
Old 06-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Thanks Maggie, I will try it.

Tags
batch, cooking, freeze