Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
rbr
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Semora , North Carolina
Bake without scorching

We have the Amana oven in our 2004 Safari... couldn't bake anything above 300 degrees without scorching the bottom and overcooking. Clearly a heat diffuser was needed. I tried a pizza stone which promptly shattered, so I bought a 13" square (1" less than the oven dimension) of 1/4" mild steel for $15 at the local welding shop, attached 1' legs underneath just inside the depression in the oven floor, and voila!! Good diffuse heat without scorching at any temp, plus the thermal mass helps maintain a more even temp inside the small oven.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Pure genius!

Good tip!

Thanks!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I use a heavy (not disposable) aluminum pie pan upside down in the bottom of the oven. I also do this in the Dutch oven to keep from burning.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr
We have the Amana oven in our 2004 Safari... couldn't bake anything above 300 degrees without scorching the bottom and overcooking. Clearly a heat diffuser was needed. I tried a pizza stone which promptly shattered, so I bought a 13" square (1" less than the oven dimension) of 1/4" mild steel for $15 at the local welding shop, attached 1' legs underneath just inside the depression in the oven floor, and voila!! Good diffuse heat without scorching at any temp, plus the thermal mass helps maintain a more even temp inside the small oven.
May need to also watch the size pan you use.

We have a double oven at home, and the small one will burn the bottom of anything whose pan pretty well covers the rack. If I am doing a pan of cookies, I always use a smaller sheet in it.

Maggie
Old 09-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
I don't use anything and haven't had a problem. It's important to choose pans that allow at least 2" or so of clearance between the edge of the pan and the oven wall. For cookie sheets, you have to find smaller than standard. For layer cakes you really need a second oven rack, which is available from Amana dealers, so that two 9" pans will fit without being so close to the sides.