Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Bake Beans

Bake Beans seem to be my archilles heel as I have one h--- of time to get the beans soft. Last time I made them I soaked over night then proceeded to make the bake bean. The sauce was great however, the beans could have been used as pellets in a pellet gun as they were still hard.

This time I soaked overnight, boiled/simmered them for about two hours and even added baking soda before I made the beans. After I added all my ingredients I placed in my smoker for four hours. Again great taste but the beans were not as hard as last time but still had to much of a bite.

Any suggestions
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
lower your baking temp by 25 degrees. It Leaves more moisture in the pot.
If that's not enough, go just a tad lower again.

Paula
Old 05-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
18 hours soak and low and slow cooking. Do not forget the bacon. The more the better.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I use Randolffs in the jar. They have the Great Northern and also a 7 bean mix. They are ready to go and I can make baked, soup ham&beans etc. cuts the time and sorting and soaking when using raw beans.

mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Current season beans cook much faster than beans that are a year or more old.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I once upon a time made the mistake of using a pressure cooker to try to cook beans. First and only time I have had the relieve valve blow. The weight put a nice divert in the ceiling and sprayed bean slop all over the kitchen. I have a newish digital slowcooker that does a great job with beans, soups and stews. I have been experimenting with it a lot lately.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 05-08-2016, 06:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
That "Kentucky" condiment is a good addition to baked beans.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My Father would accidentally spill a little Bud in his beans.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
No salt in soaking water and don't use old beans.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
"Soft" water does a much better job of cooking beans than "hard" water. If you have the kind of water that leaves a soap scum ring in the tub, it's bad for beans. If you have the kind of water where you're never sure you got all the soap off you in the shower, it's great for beans. If I have soft water, I don't even bother to soak the beans.

When I was growing up in West Texas, the cooks in my family would do almost anything to find a supply of soft water for cooking beans (output of the water softener does not count--way too much sodium for human consumption). They collected rainwater, drove out to a roadside rest stop that was reputed to have a soft water well, etc. So, this is not just my opinion. I'm passing down wisdom from the old folks here.

Once while camping in a site I knew had hard water, I tried cooking beans with bottled drinking water. Eureka! It worked. Ozarka brand bottled drinking water does a fantastic job! I've used it several times, and it works consistently.

I don't know how widely Ozarka bottle water is marketed, and I have not tried other brands. Hope this works for you.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Mimi, if your beans are leaving a soap-scum ring in your bathtub you are definitely a West Texas girl!
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
crunchy beans

#1 most likely problem is salt. Are you adding salt or soda to your beans before suppertime? Don't. Beans want salt at the table, not in the pot.

Bottled water can also make a huge improvement if your water's not excellent.

My favorite trick on beans (more likely ham&beans but also baked) is to simmer the first bunch of beans till they're about half tender, then add the remainder of the beans to the simmering pot. So you get partially mushy beans and partially tender-cooked beans. I'll do the same with vegetable additions to either beans or a stew: Onions, celery, minced carrots, or (especially) the spuds in clam chowder -- the first-cooked ones are super softened, the secondary veg's are barely tender.
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:50 PM   #13

1987 32' Excella
Arvada , Colorado
I have to agree with KeelyAnderson on the timing and texture thing.

I've also noticed that adding any kind of acid to the pot too early can stall the cooking of the beans, so I usually add those kind of things towards the end.
Vincents etc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincents etc View Post
... adding any kind of acid to the pot too early can stall the cooking of the beans ...
YES.
Simmer your beanies till tender, then add the sauce stuff.

If I'm making ham&beans I'll definitely add the ham hocks and some chopped veg's to the pot before the beans are tender. But no vinegar for sure till you've achieved tenderness. [[hmm, wasn't that a movie in the late '40s?)]]
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
1. low and slow...….slow cookers work great. Otherwise simmer a long time.

2. Use canned beans.

3. Personally I don't "bake" beans. I BBQ them. Three cans of different beans. For example, navy, pinto, black, black eyes, and or Chic peas. Drain beans, ad to pot, add cooked bacon, onions and pulled pork. Add your favorite bbq sauce. Simmer till done enough for you.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I use this recipe, but I do it all on the stovetop, not in the oven or smoker. If anything I stop the cook early or they get too soft for my taste.

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...on-baked-beans

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote