Old 07-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Been using the food Saver brands for years - probably on our third unit by now...

I use the mason jar attachment all the time - the jars are much cheaper than buying FS canisters - it's quick and easy for things as :

bulk spices (I like to make BBQ/SMOKE rubs!)...
home made salsa - keeps in the frig for a couple of weeks...
bulk coffee beans - saves costs on buying vac-bags...
pre-measured for things like instant mashed potatoes, biscuits, hot cakes, corn bread, etc...

I also bought several of those wine bottle 'stoppers'...and as SilverHoot mentioned - never got around to having any unfinished wine bottles!!!

I too, buy larger slabs of steaks on sale, have the butcher cut em' up and then seal em' two to a plastic bag - some for the freezer, and some I just 'age' in their vac-bags in the bottom of the refrigerator (coolest location) for a few weeks to tenderize - some fancy restaurant shown on TV does this, and it seems to work great...

These Vac appliances work best if you have a place on the counter you can keep it all the time - if you have to break it out for each use, you'll probably not get the most out of it...when it's within reach, it's easy to quickly vac a small item for storage...

Keep a good felt pen nearby so you can date and identify all your vacuumed bagged goodies...

Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
We have 2 Food Saver brand units and love them. The jar attachment is great as Mexray says. We use it for everything from small marinade jar for dove breasts, to dried herbs and flowers for potpourri. Good investment.

batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #17

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
What brand/models do you recommend
I cant begin to sort out the various models on the Food Saver site. Recommendations anyone? I do know I want to be able to use the Mason Jar attachment. Who can help?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California

We have 2 model 3825's for a few years. I think the newer model would be the 3840. After searching around I found the best price at Costco. It came with the Mason jar attachment , vacuum marinade canister, vacuum storage canister and a bunch of pre-cut bags and some small rolls and large rolls of make your own bag material, they also have boxes of the rolls of bag material. Costco also has the best return policy ever. Should you not like it, just return it.

batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I recently got a top of the line Food Saver brand ... after my brother in law - who does all his own butchering - fed me some chicken that had been frozen over a year, and it was perfect.

He says that their claims (see their website) are not exaggerations. It really does save freezer space in the trailer, and lets me per-package cooked meals so life in the kitchen is easier / faster. And it's nice to buy in bulk, break down into smaller portions and package just what you will need for a meal.

Find a friend who has one and try it out. Better, get a brother in law to feed you high quality meat that's been frozen for a year or two!

AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote