Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Airstream Breakfast - who's in?

We are in a rut! We seem to make the same things over and over for breakfast and while they're fast and delicious it's time for a change.

Standard fare is either refrigerator oatmeal or a riff on an egg mcmuffin.

Breakfast muffins: Toasted muffin, fried egg, cheese and either a slice of tomato or canadian bacon. 1 Pan to wash.

Refrigerator oatmeal: Equal parts oats and milk, then add fruit, nuts, toppings and yogurt. 1 container to wash BUT you have to remember to get this going at night so it can mull overnight in the fridge.

Name:   egg.jpg
Views: 1906
Size:  11.1 KB

Name:   oats.jpg
Views: 1933
Size:  13.8 KB

What do you do? Any great ideas for breakfast that are easy??

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

Fresh scrambled eggs with real bacon bits, avocado slices and salsa in a fresh cooked tortilla. One frying pan, a fork or chopstick to scramble the egg in a measuring cup and a bowl to put the avocado in. We use wax paper sheets and burger baskets to serve them. 3-4 eggs for three people. Bit of Mrs. Dash seasoning for interest. Pat of butter in the frying pan to add flavor when cooking the eggs.

Quick and simple. You can also get elaborate and add ham, sauté onions, sliced of fresh tomatoes or some cheese. Whatever you like.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We like toast and eggs done "in the pan".

If you want a side of bacon, then first heat up in the pan the already cooked bacon. We get it at costco (it is hormel black label). Set aside.

Butter both sides of bread slice. Best is a soft bread like challa or brioche. Italian if the crust isn't too crunchy.

Cook up the bread, (like doing a grilled cheese) but slightly underdone. Then crack in the egg, and cook egg and bread together, turning once. Cook until egg is done.

If you want an extra piece of toast, just keep on going.

If you want to get all fancy you can tear open a hole in the center of the bread and have the egg completely in the center. But not really necessary.

Also recently discovered that swiss miss makes a dark chocolate cocoa mix without marshmallows. Great for using with drip coffee to make a mocha.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Grits and bacon in the microwave, eggs over easy and toast on the stove top.
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
We don't try for "fast" too much unless it is a travel day.

Great Grains or homemade granola cereal
Bagel and coffee
Fruit and yogurt

Scrambled or fried eggs (in olive oil) and canadian (usually) bacon with grits or toast

Egg McMuffin tastealike -
Butter an english muffin and put it in the pan until browned.
Toss in a slice of canadian bacon for 15-30 seconds a side and put on muffin
Toss in an egg, scrambled or not. Put a slice of cheese on top of the egg after turning fried or for the last minute or so if scrambled.
Assemble your breakfast sandwich

My father used to make this for their friends after a night at dance club. We call it "Green Eggs and Ham" but there's no ham...
Fry up some bacon and cut/crumble it into small bits
Chop some green onion tops
Scramble up some eggs with a fork and put in a pan with olive oil and a small pat of butter. Add the bacon bits and green onion tops and cook to desired doneness. The less you stir, the less it sticks.
We serve it with garlic cheese grits, but toast, toasted muffins, or bagels work too.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
I make our toast in a hot oven. A different beast than from a toaster. Crispy and dried through and through. Then add butter, lots of butter!
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Eggs and bread product - yes! The one pan system augmented by the microwave works for us. It is a big one, that is non-stick and easy to clean. Eggs get scrambled in a disposable cup that is often one we used for a prior drink. For bread we like muffins or special toast. Cinnamon bread from Costco finds a home in the freezer at initial trip load out. We have a muffin pan that makes a full package mix in six muffins for three meals. Sometimes it doesn't make it to breakfast, cause it's desert.

Coffee, got to have coffee. Thought Starbucks was crazy until the ground Verona showed up on sale at Safeway. Good coffee = good day.

Recently, we discovered the bottled orange juice. Adds fruit to the meal, as well as the opportunity to add that bubbly stuff if you aren't driving, or operating heavy machinery, or in a park with those pesky rules.

We are starting to consider a waffle iron. I like waffles. I really like waffles. Anyone got a recommendation for a good road worthy solution?

The other breakfast for champions is ..... wait for it .... pizza! Heats well in that pan. Bread, meat, veggie ...... it has it all!

We do sometimes heat up a variation of the prior dinner. Chicken, some peppers and onions, a bit of cheese and some eggs to tie it together. Oh, that is an omelet. Guess you are right. Nothing new there.

We did find an interesting breakfast treat in Canada. Picture to follow. Travel safe and eat well. Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1474.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	267574  
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Taco Polackos. Grill extra hot links the night before, then reheat with a tortilla for breakfast. Quick.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Bacon, Bacon, Bacon

Bacon.

Goes well with everything.

New study says its a brain food--so you won't forget where you put the water fill key next time.

Can be cooked in advance and stored in zip lock in frig. Have some cooking right now for a four day trip!!

A little bacon grease flavors up those pancakes, biscuits, what have you in a wild west kinda way.

In the boonies can be bartered for beer and other essentials.

Bacon, what's not to like!!

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside Bob View Post
Bacon.

Goes well with everything.

New study says its a brain food--so you won't forget where you put the water fill key next time.

Can be cooked in advance and stored in zip lock in frig. Have some cooking right now for a four day trip!!

A little bacon grease flavors up those pancakes, biscuits, what have you in a wild west kinda way.

In the boonies can be bartered for beer and other essentials.

Bacon, what's not to like!!

After reading all this I had to get up to make some bacon and eggs to keep my mouth from watering.
I feel down right embarrassed about the chintzy breakfasts I cook up in comparison.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
I like the healthy KISS method. Toast two slices whole wheat bread in a frying pan or toaster. Place on paper towel, put peanut butter and fig preserves on one....On the other, mayo, pre-cooked bacon bits, chopped onion, grated cheese topped with a fried egg cooked in just a little butter. Gives you fiber, protein, fruit and omega 3. Nothing to wash, just wipe the frying pan and spatula with the paper towel when finished. I almost forgot, instant coffee, rinse the cup.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Oh, and if "brunching" I have done the pan butter-toasted bread, as a sandwich, with butterfly cut open leftover steak and a bit of mild cheese and some fresh basil. Yummy panini. Had that twice on vacation (since I had leftover steak twice) It was fantastic. Add avocado or bacon if available.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Depends on the mood. Serious or silly.

Serious: Been on that avocado on toast craze, of late. Might dress it up a bit with some smoked salmon/scrambled egg.

Silly: The Breakfast Show special: Froot Loops/Greek yogurt shake....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FaN's froot loops milkshake.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	267645  
Old 07-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
One of the (pleasant) surprise breakfasts we had was at the Rose Parade rally - fresh hot oatmeal with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Sliced peaches, blueberries, strawberries were all available also - wow - excellent!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:05 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stanwood , Washington
Breakfast ideas

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/85107/omelet-in-a-bag/

Here is a fun breakfast idea, it is an omelet-in-a-bag, easy when camping.
dfschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

If you were in Boy Scouts, you know how to cook a bacon and eggs breakfast in an ordinary brown paper bag over a campfire, or cook an egg on a stick over a campfire.

Caveman cuisine was very popular in my day as an adult Scout leader.

We used to demonstrate this at Scout Fair.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Clermont , Florida
South of the border baby

Into a Screaming hot cast iron skillet a dash of butter then a fresh tortilla. Brown a bit on both sides. Set aside, fry one egg over medium, place egg into hot tortilla, fold over and enjoy a gooey runny delicious yolkey treat. Or, if you are in a rush, grab a beer.:
Djsbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:46 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Apopka , Florida
Quick and healthy! We have a piece of toast with peanut butter, then slice banana on top add a little granola and drizzle with honey! Add coffee or hot tea and waa laa you have a great breakfast . Clean up is only a knife and coffee cup.
Suzbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Blueberry buttermilk pancakes with smoked bacon and maple syrup. I always premix the flour and other ingredienst before we leave and then dd the melted butter, buttermile and egg right before cooking the pancakes.

I also will make oatmeal with McCanns steel oats one day as my wife likes them. Another option is to make scones, freeze then and then cook in the oven.

Of course all this is served with freshly ground coffee made in our french press.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
We take an electric griddle that I use outside the trailer. But first I make a mellitta pour over pot of coffee that I roasted at home. Fresh roasted is the bestest. Then, on to the griddle, cook up some bacon, when that is done wipe down the griddle leaving a very thin coating of the bacon fat. Throw some onion, bellppers, maybe some spinach on and get that semi cooked then four or five (enough for two people) beaten eggs. Easy to flip the eggs once they set and a great omelet with a little grated Parmesan on top.

For easy mornings when we want a fast start, Greek yogurt with honey and Kashi or granola.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote