Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2017, 07:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Air Fryers

I am curious to know if anyone has an air fryer and if you like ii? Also do you take it with you when camping?
Thanks
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Mill Valley , California
I had not heard of those before. I went to Google to find out what they are. Found an interesting review:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-air-fryer/

Interesting that the article concludes by not recommending any of them. So, I hope you will keep us all updated on what you conclude.

I could not find anything on power consumption, but would expect this to only work when you are plugged into external power.

Andrew
awiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I am curious to know if anyone has an air fryer and if you like ii? Also do you take it with you when camping?
Thanks
Yes we do, and yes we take it. Our's is a Phillips, we've have it about 9 months, and it's fantastic....there are several cookbooks available.

We're from Alabama, and for food to be prepared properly, it should be deep fried......the air fryer is a lot more healthy, and in most cases if the breading is prepared with the right seasonings, it's nearly impossible to tell the difference...

Enjoy!

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Space is extremely limited in an Airstream Interstate, so I'd like to find a good one in the 1-liter to 1.5-liter capacity range. I have a 3.5-liter one at home, but it's way too big. It doesn't even fit in a home kitchen cabinet, let alone an Airstream cabinet. I have to store it on a closet shelf when it's not in use.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Last time I used mine camping the flames from the camp fire melted it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have been researching them and yes they do act like a convection oven. However, the many reviews that I have read say the food taste better but yet not the full flavor of a deep fryer. What I like about them is I can take with us traveling and will not have all of the mess or the odor of a deep fryer. In fact Have not used my deep fryer in years. Right now I am leaning towards the Phillips depending on the price I can purchase it.

there are several cookbooks available. I would certainly like to know the ones you recommend.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Just a quick follow up on my quest for and air fryer. I have not yet made a decision however even with the mix reviews I am leaning towards purchasing one. First because I like kitchen gadgets, secondly I like fried foods and this will get me close to that without smelling up my house and also it is healthier and finally because I use when we camp. As to kitchen gadgets the only one i do not really like is the Instant Pot for some reason I just have a tough time getting the results I want.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
We have one and it stays at home. For camping we have a copper non stick screen basket that sits on a non stick tray. We got it at Camping world. In the oven it works much like an air fryer. It also makes fantastic bacon and the tray does double duty as a baking sheet. Stuff that goes in the trailer must be multi purpose to qualify for inclusion. For example the pot part of my corn popper doubles as a pasta pot. Single purpose items must be essential, like my coffee works, to be included.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:11 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic S/O
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Thanks
We have a Phillips air fryer and it is great. It rapidly cooks steaks, veggies, French fries, etc with no or very little oil, and does not heat up the kitchen like oven or stove top. It also is pretty big and heavy, and hard to see where it would work really well with limited storage space of our airstream. We have not tried taking camping as we are brand new here, and just suspect it will be too big to take on any long travels
Tschupps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I did go ahead and bought the Philips XL Air Fryer and used it for the first time last night to make french fries. I really like the way they came out and was as good or better then one can get in a restaurant. I used three potatoes and two tablespoons of olive oil. Took about 30 minutes at 360 and the best part no order smell in the house.
Although it is big it will come with us when we travel for a week or more as I always have place for a cooking tool.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Although I have not taken the Air fryer on a trip yet it will definitely come with s to Florida. I have found it to be excellent for shrimp, chicken and potatoes. I like it so much more the the IP which I will now give to my son. It is not that the IP is a bad cooking tool it is because it just not fit my style of cooking. I like to play with the tastes etc when I cook.
I will probably purchase a second AF and am now looking at the new Breville Smart oven air if the price is right and I have room on my counter. If anyone has one I would like to know their thoughts on how it works, especially the dehydrator and AF

Thanks
Old 11-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #12
Caravel16

2021 16' Caravel
San Jose , CA
Quote:
I did go ahead and bought the Philips XL Air Fryer and used it for the first time last night to make french fries. I really like the way they came out and was as good or better then one can get in a restaurant. I used three potatoes and two tablespoons of olive oil. Took about 30 minutes at 360 and the best part no order smell in the house.
Although it is big it will come with us when we travel for a week or more as I always have place for a cooking tool.
Hi,

Is it save to use the Air Fryer in the Airstream? Do I need to worry about blowing any fuse?

Thanks,
Vivian
vp16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
With 30 amp service a portable electric oven running with the A/C or Heat pump on means you are right on the edge. If the weather is decent, run a second very heavy duty extension cord from the pedestal's 20 amp plug to a picnic table and use your air fryer there. Keeps the Airstream from smelling of cooking odors for days, no grease from bacon, etc.

Anything that turns electricity into heat uses a lot of your available power - the three heaviest are the coach's air conditioner, refrigerator on electric and water heater on electric. Toasters, irons, induction burners follow closely.

Alde equipped Airstreams not included in this post.

Paula
Old 01-04-2022, 04:25 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
Air fryer

We use a NuWave air fryer constantly. Pack it in a tote in the back of the truck.
P.S. — have 50 amp service.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
If the weather is decent, run a second very heavy duty extension cord from the pedestal's 20 amp plug to a picnic table and use your air fryer there. Keeps the Airstream from smelling of cooking odors for days, no grease from bacon, etc.

Paula
This is excellent advice...I never think about the other resources at a campsite once I set up... thanks for the reminder[emoji1]
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:21 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
Smile Ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafitte View Post
We use a NuWave air fryer constantly. Pack it in a tote in the back of the truck.
P.S. — have 50 amp service.
Just finished 60 days near Gulf Shores and were on 30 amp service, sometimes using A/C , without electrical issues.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Between all the travel we do in the South and the wife's aversion to smelling last night's supper, we do 95% + of our cooking outside, using a Duxtop cooktop and a Weber Q grill. These ride under the pickup cap.
We own a Cosori airfryer that does a better job on fries than the grill, and lets me dehydrate spinach for non-soggy pizza, among other things. It also makes decent burgers, etc. I use the grill out of habit more than anything, now. Though, after ten seasons, the grill is better seasoned (hence, less cleanup) than I could stomach with the airfryer.
Given that we always have a utility post and extension cord, and the airfryer would take the same amount of room under the cap as the grill, I really should just leave the grill at home.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Thanks
yes, no
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we love the breville the Smart Oven™ Air Fryer Pro
https://www.breville.com/ca/en/produ...ns/bov900.html

easy to use, clean and light weight
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:57 PM   #20
Maxine-A

2019 25' International
Tacoma , Washington
Instant Pot Duo Crisp + Air Fryer

I have the Instant Pot Duo Crisp + Air Fryer 8 qt, although not small or light, it has been frequently
used since purchased. Storage is accomplished by lifting the Queen Bed and setting it down underneath. I have not yet had the occasion to use it while trailering. The quick and easy meals
will make road trips and camping more enjoyable, as good food just makes life better. It has a
separate lid for Air Frying, and I store that in an adjacent compartment under the bed. The French
fries using less than 1 tsp of Olive Oil are great. I am entertaining using my Titan Solar Generator to
power it to prepare dinner while driving, stretching my day to rack up the miles. Pork loin meals,
whole chicken, and eggs are a breeze.
Happy Camping in 2022 & Cheers to All,
..J
Silver Ship is offline   Reply With Quote