Old 12-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Way off topic, but the guy that invented the fork lift was a friend of the family. Started the Towmotor company years ago. Really nice guy as well.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:58 PM   #44
Airjeep

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Zurich , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Oh trust me, they are beautiful cars to look at and wax. Dumping the factory wheels was a big plus! Or maybe those are the factory wheels with non original tires. Looks sharp. I finally convinced my nephew to sell his and use it as a "repair fund" for his purchase of a 2009 fifth wheel trailer. When you have to pull off parts to replace a spark plug... you have too much stuffed into the front end and not enough butt padding to maintain traction in the rear.

Now, one exception. If someone is towing a 16 foot Bambi, or the possible "new" Minniestream with a late model Corvette, up to these current hot rod 2016's... I might be convinced having made a serious "Custer Decision" error of judgment and reconsider.

The 1963 Coupe rear window leaked like an old Some Other Brand fiberglass trailer, and the interior had too much cheap... aluminum trimmings.

Find me MY former 1965 Corvette Coupe, 327, Fuel Injected with the "magic bar radio", knock off mags... I might consider paying anyone DOUBLE what I sold one for. Maybe triple. I had the engine balanced and it hummed like a Mazda. Duncan, Oklahoma has a blue one with side exhaust pipes driven by one sharp Air Force member last at Warren Air Base, Cheyenne, Wyoming... 1972. Now, that is belated envy.
Ray, here is our 2012 GS Corvette pulling a 23' trailer. Dealer stated it towed better than a F150. Other than the engine seeming to labour a very, very little bit, couldn't feel it behind the TV.

The suspension lowered 3/4", too much as it has only 3 1/2" ground clearance. As we had bought a 27' EB had to find another TV. With some work, it almost tows as well.

As for which is better, a 1963 or 2012 Corvette. One you have to drive, the other take you for a drive. To have 2012 drive train and sus. with the '63 looks..., .

Cheers john
Cheers, John

Old 12-27-2015, 08:54 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
What a better way for Airstream to introduce the NEW Bambette. Have a Corvette, or Corvair, towing it through an A&W Rootbeer stand. "Class from Head to", well where ever.

Or that 2016 Corvette attached to a 23 foot Airstream and sold as a package at auction. "The Airstream that Roars past the others."

People love public recognition. Deserved or not. If it is not the clothes they wear to stand out... an Airstream Icon with the Corvette Icon towing this mini beast would get International attention.

Corporations like to link their Iconic products together. A Big Mac with all the trimmings.

Yes, we Airstream and Interstate owners are a modest bunch. I know each and everyone of you have watched, with your tow vehicle's side mirrors, a passing vehicle on the interstate highway and the passengers eagerly pointing out each rivet with envy. Then to discover just as they pass, you are a regular person like themselves and not the famous well known movie star they were expecting.

Do you actually believe, when I was in my early 20's, having the top down in my 1964 convertible Corvette, during the Winter in Wyoming, heater blasting, was just for transportation? No way. It was so everyone got a good look, maybe once or twice, to want to check me out a little bit more. It worked.

Do you believe that a single man or woman towing an Airstream into a campground will be noticed... immediately? Does New Years come on January 1st every year? That special person might have taken that second or third look and acted as if a conversation how your Marathon tires were holding up...

Airstream trailers and unusual automobiles are a great way to meet new friends that have common interests. Combine the two and you have to hand out numbers. This is for the single piloted Airstream owners, OK.

My wife with her VW camper background and myself with the Nomadic hunter and gatherer of discarded junk and rocks... were a match made in... well Western Wyoming. She could cook, I could fish and tent camping is what we could afford. Tent camping is out for sure, but our Airstream... it goes to whomever lives the longer! An aluminum can with memories. We have agreed that when our ashes are what remains... they will travel to those places as a team, no matter. So when we Airstreamers complain about parts and pieces needing to be reattached... these are the memories that come with your purchase. Make good memories that stick... like next year the 2016 Wyoming Adventure will carry our memories into the distant future.

Happy New Year to All, and to All a Good Night!
Old 12-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #46
Airjeep

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Zurich , Ontario
trying again to post picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GS-airstream3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	254713  
Old 12-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Already there are a number of mini trailers worth considering for the younger less affluent buyers today. Will they start with a stripped down Airstream... or a mini sized with all the neat ingenuity that is already built into the product. Come one... you already see what train wreck is coming... if Airstream wants to compete with these guys.
Yep, you are correct. So is the way of the market. So often Americans don't support their own livelihood based on what is "allowed" to penetrate the market (can anyone say China) why pay for a US made dining table when there is a Chinese made one for half the price- right? Last night we watched a special on TV- Tiny Houses. People are building these things and now not only parking them somewhere but using them as RVs. They are also "cheaper" than most RVs. While watching I could not believe that people would be able to assemble something on a trailer chassis of wood and drag it around all over the country safely- for themselves AND others around them. The RV market better take note.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:54 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
[Partially quoted] I did not even consider the "older used Airstream and Vintage". I am sure there is a model or a year where OLD and VINTAGE come into play.

The aluminum on older Airstreams polish up like sterling silver. The interiors can be removed and made custom for your needs. The ultimate, if you are handy and imaginative. I am handy, but not imaginative. Several were on the 2016 Magdalena Adventure. Put our new Airstream to shame.

Cheap is not better, folks. Less Expensive is even the wrong PR term. More like, "Enhanced Beauty at a Competitive Price for the First Time Airstream Buyer".

Start your list of "necessary" and it gets longer and longer. The price keeps climbing and then you are best off with the 16 foot Bambi... a true compact gem of a trailer, with the price tag.

I do not want cheap. I do not want to give up convenience. If I want to... those options are already out there. My current 25 footer might be the 1972 Corvette... nearing the last of its kind. A "true" Airstream. Not a Thorstream.

How is your 25 foot holding up Ray?
Old 12-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
I have a 2015 Classic and it works great no issues, if you want to see issues buy a $600K motorhome. Compare any airstream to any SOB you get what you pay for. the problem I see is folks accept trailers from the dealer that isn't right. Don't pay for or pickup a trailer that doesn't meet you expectations....

thanks
Earl
Old 12-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Are you all expecting a better Airstream or a bitter experience with the purchase of a Cheaper Airstream?

"Less Expensive = Cheaper"

Jackson Center has already done their best to make a Cheaper Airstream with a higher Sticker Price. You own it.

When Jackson Center applies the embossed " AIRSTREAM " on the front of their product it should represent Quality. Not cheaper.

I saw cheaper Airstreams in 2008. They are being shipped to Europe. I am sure the sticker shock for "cheaper" and what you are getting will be a grand disappointment. There seems to be little if any feedback from European Airstream owners of the "Euro-Stream", or whatever.

The 16 foot Bambi is not... cheaper. So size and quality have a price, even in Airstream accounting. Someone with a list of trailer weights and sticker price can come up with a $ per pound. Compare each model for the year and compare.

Compare an Arctic Fox 25 foot to an Airstream 25 foot... per pound. Compare the depreciation values of each over ten years. For the value of depreciation I would suspect you could buy an Arctic Fox new every five years for the value lost on an Airstream. (I bring this up as an exercise to those handy with numbers.)

A "less expensive Airstream" is going to be a big disappointment for those expecting a 16 foot Bambi for half price.

Ferrari makes "cheaper"... but it is still quality. We all have seen the "cheaper" pickup truck to draw you into the showroom. Stripped down to the tires and wheels every loose dime possible. Even the spare tire is a throw away.

If Airstream makes a "cheaper" it will not be better, nicer or more reliable than what we have already. One battery. One smaller propane tank. Smaller wheels. Cheaper tires. Lighter axles. Less frame, smaller, cheaper, less reliable.

Dream the Fantasy of buying your next "new cheaper lighter less reliable Airstream" with the coupon found in your mailbox. The depreciated value once the papers are signed and your Air... whatever... Stream shows up to the dealership will be Not Cheap.

I have no Brand Loyalty to Airstream. For the price... I expect to buy quality as well. Having a cheap spare tire mounted on a steel wheel, one year Interstate battery warranty, and loaded with imported parts that would make this "assembled" in the USA, not MADE in the USA...is what you are getting and can expect in the future.

Sit back, take a deep breath and think how this "Less Expensive Airstream" will have less of... Another Corvair in the making and you will be given the FIRST opportunity to own one. If I can not afford an Airstream at the present time... save so you can... or buy the best option which might be the Arctic Fox.

As you can tell, I am not optimistic. I do not pay top dollar for a Toyota or a Ford 4x4 pickup because I am a spendthrift. Even those buying what today is the less expensive Airstream today... is the Ferrari of travel trailers. Keep it that way.
I will agree with most everything said up until the very end-
I do the Toyota thing- because I'm a spend thrift- If I'm gonna spend my hard-earned money on an automobile it will have a Toyota logo on the grill.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:14 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Yep... I need a Cheaper Airstream

There sure is a lot of angst about a trailer where the details have not been released yet.

Even if the new model is crap,,, it wont affect the way I really, really, really, enjoy my old (and relatively cheap) trailer....

I spent about six months in it this year, with no big issues....

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I believe that much of the argument is philosophical- like quality long-term vs. cheap short-lived. There is much to be said about the market and products. I was told to buy an Airstream because they last and hold their value yet, like other products, have been changed somewhat to stay competitive with lower priced offerings. All-clad is gone, wood is mostly gone. Add to that the fact that if they are long-lived and purchased for that reason, why do so many buy a replacement every 5-10 years like a car if they are meant to be long-lived? It's back to that market mentality thing me thinks. Naturally choice is a part of it but if nothing is wrong with the AS one has, why buy another? Remember the Ralph Nader talk about buy the Mercedes for the quality BUT keep it a long time because you can (justifying the higher cost)? Now Mercedes have changed too as have BMWs. Some Hyundais now outperform and surpass fit and finish but at a lower cost. The only thing left is status and cost and, according to NADA, that is waning too.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The cheaperAS are being made now. A high percentage of the AS sold today will be on the mkt in a few years, as soon as the newer type of AS owner gets tired of the fad. I saw this with Harley, tons of cheap HD available now with hardly any miles. The novelty wears off and the AS just sits. Will be interesting to see this come to pass.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Indeed, this is intended to be philosophical. How can Airstream build and sell a similar product for less, retain quality and provide the amenities that a first purchaser will be pleased?

Dan Post #50. So far we are absolutely 100% satisfied with our new International. The refrigerator fan is noisy and it does not shut down, but will have the new part installed that operates the fan. I will also take the advice on replacing the noisy original fan with something quieter. Everything works and replaced the 2006 because the bed, refrigerator and just a bit more space would last us for 20 years!

m.hony post #50 and Toyotas. I was so disappointed with my new 3/4 ton Chevrolet pickup truck in 1978 from mechanical failures, improper factory part on the transmission and rusting door after the third year... traded it in for a full sized "mini" Toyota pickup in 1981. We have owned Land Cruisers up to 248,000 miles and they sold quickly at top dollar looking new on the exterior and running perfectly. The front wheel bearings and differentials were the only parts needing replacement when we sold due to wear issues found with 200,000 +/- mileage. Today, we have a 2008 model Land Cruiser that we will keep until we cannot drive, and my 2012 Sunday 5.7L 4x4 that has operated flawlessly. Owned a Land Cruiser since 1985 with the six cylinder up to today's 5.7L!

All of our Toyota Land Cruisers were replaced at 150,000+ miles with a later model. Our Toyota pickup trucks before 100,000 miles and sell fast. Our 2008 was replaced with a 2012 Crew Max and never have had one issue, problem or complaint on either, but the back seat area gave us more room.

Our second option would have been a Ford F250, but did not want diesel and the one with the New Mexico ranch model was a piece of art. Like an Airstream.

Our 2014 Airstream was selected, after my wife and I tested EVERY OPTION as if it were a used model. Many at the dealer's lot had faulty vent fans, or very noisy. Some were hanging from the ceiling being replaced as we looked at the 2014's and 2015's. We felt we had a good price in our negotiations.

Quality for the price... Toyota and Airstream have met our expectations and am confident that both will serve us well for years.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
One way they will build cheaper is via component assembly. They WILL NOT build an exterior shell and then fit the interior.

They will build the side walls in a jig, complete with most equipment and appointments. This will allow for visual supervision of quality production. Fitting cabinets, bulkheads etc. will be standardized through much tighter tolerances than can be obtained by their current labor intensive "shell first" process.

A LOT of the cost of an Airstream and QC issues are directly attributable to the current "outside in" method of construction.

Quality and value are yet to be determined, but I can for all intensive purposes guarantee that the new model WILL utilize component construction.

I also imagine that the design will use lots of "snap in" molded plastic panels consistent with modern automobile construction.

I imagine most components will be sourced offshore, for "snap together" assembly.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
There are ways to approach future AS design. StarCraft went from riveted hulls on their Aluminums to welded.