Old 11-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1974 Argosy 26
Charlotte , North Carolina
Wow, we just bought 2 Airstreams. Which to keep?? '74 Argosy vs. '67 Overlander

We are crazy. Or at least I am, while my husband is simply wonderful and patient ;-)

After just deciding to dive into the world of airstreams with our 4 kids (almost 1, 4, 8, & 9), here we are, barely weeks later and somehow we ended up with TWO of them. Decisions, decisions...

1. The 26' 1974 Argosy came first. It was insanely cheap from WV (the guy inherited it w/ a hunting property and just wanted it gone). We had been looking for something a bit more ready to go, but aren't strangers to restoring/renovating things, and couldn't pass up the price... The kitchen and living area is mostly gutted, still has some cabinets/drawers/wardrobes, and the rear bathroom is still there, though likely needs to be gutted as well. The body is in pretty good shape except for a shallow dent on the back, and some parts need re-painting. No leaks. New vinyl floors, and newly painted inside by PO (though not well). I LOVE the panoramic windows.

I was actually looking forward to renovating the whole thing (likely shell-off restoration more out of preference than necessity), to make it perfect for us and all the kids. BUT we knew that would take a lot of time (and obviously money). Which we planned on. BUT then this Overlander popped up unexpectedly on my craigslist alerts and it's "ready to go" characteristics were just too alluring.... So we hopped in the truck, drove 5 1/2 hours, bought it and swam in the Atlantic in mid-80 degree weather. Fun little weekend

2. Enter the 26' 1967 Overlander International (rear bath/double bed). We just picked it up from Jacksonville, FL yesterday. I thought it was a great deal. All original, and really great shape (though we need to do a more in-depth inspection of the frame/axles). Nice body, updated plumbing, gas, electrical, appliances work...Mahogany cabinets, turquoise oven, parquet floors, I even love the original upholstery...it's lovely!

...Almost too lovely. We loved that it was ready to go for the most part, and figured we could tweak the floorplan to suit our needs and multiple children (it's a double bed, and a twin bed model would have been so much better), BUT after seeing it/buying it, I just don't think I can bring myself to remove any of the awesome solid wood wardrobes/cabinets to accommodate twin beds, or move the original rear bathroom at some point which was something I was playing around with. I think the interior designer in me is just a sucker for turquoise and mahogany It still needs some things of course, but is amazing (IMO) for a 1967.

What would you do??

We're leaning to trying to make the Overlander work (at least for the time being) without changing it too much...maybe we can squeeze a removable bunk somewhere over the double bed, squeeze in a bassinet somewhere for the baby, and tweak the front travel bed to fit my husband and I. Then we could either sell the Argosy as it sits now, or maybe put some work into it, and get some good money out of it to put towards the Overlander.

OR do we take our time making the Argosy perfect for us, and sell the lovely Overlander to someone who actually wants a double bed (since that's what most are looking for), and doesn't have a mid-size collection of little children??

Old 11-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1974 Argosy 26
Overlander pictures

A few Overlander pictures (from the seller...I need to take some)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream exterior.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	251772   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream exterior 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	251773  

Name:	airstream front.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	251774   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream kitchen- oven.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	251775  

Name:	airstream kitchen sink and stove.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	251776   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream kitchen.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	251777  

Name:	airstream front couch and storage.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	251778   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream middle bedroom 3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	251779  

Old 11-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
JMHO. Keep the nicer unit, and hack into it to make it what you want.

Less work, looks to be in nice shape, and as much as you like the as is, I dare say that the vast majority of new purchasers of it would want it much renewed from its present state.

So, no tears, no guilt.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1974 Argosy 26
Argosy pictures (I only have a few)

The seller didn't post any pictures, so I only have a few my husband shot...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12108041_10102640092026289_5370656809171505496_n (1).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	251781   Click image for larger version

Name:	4JWkPxl7SFZ4PAcTsH1alI30jETbdRuIcs8EpXC0lAY.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	251782  

Name:	eiLp3LeEs_9bUrtEUnVLih3HRNsYMLSZ1be5oBwOpg8.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	251783  
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1974 Argosy 26
Argosy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmckernan View Post
The seller didn't post any pictures, so I only have a few my husband shot...
one more of back...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	251786  
Old 11-08-2015, 11:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I would recommend starting out taking a full inventory of both units. A good way might be to download the "buyer's inspection checklist" from the portal page, and then go through it completely. It is not unusual to find a rotting subfloor under even the prettiest new laminate. Take into consideration also whether that Overlander has been upgraded with things like grey water tanks.

At the end of the day, there will be matters of taste (ie., do you prefer the wrap-around windows of the Argosy, or the shiny aluminum exterior of the Overlander). The real question may end up being, do you want to spend your time traveling and camping, or working on a trailer? I have been working over 3 years on my '73 Globetrotter. The initial plan was to do a quick and dirty spruce-up and then hit the road, but it has become a full monty, and a full-time project.

good luck with your decision!
Old 11-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
With any luck you have a solid unit between the two, its nice to have some spare parts... I would hold on to both units until you get whichever one you are going to refinish completed, spare parts thing again. Not sure how much money you plan on spending but you might want to double or triple the figure (been there done that) for the unexpected things you'll find as you go through the project. Just keep your eye on the ball and don't be afraid to walk away from time to time, most of all be flexible and keep checking the forums as they are a great help...
Good Luck!!
Old 11-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1974 Argosy 26
Appreciating all the input so far...a lot of great points.

Another idea (though I should probably post this elsewhere too), open to potential trades too! Maybe someone who has a 60s era twin model (rear twin even better) who is looking for a nice condition double bed model...
Old 11-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
san francisco , California
I'd keep the Overlander as it looks pretty straight.
Sell the other for some fixin' up money for the keeper.
OR JUST KEEP BOTH, the kids can hang there and give you some quiet time in your home....LOL!
Old 11-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #10

1975 Argosy 28
Jacksonville , Florida
Argosy or Int'l

I may be interested in either unit, I have a fair and complete '74 Argosy 28 footer. It needs a replacement corner glass (expensive) and is a rear bath w/ bunks. I'm in Jacksonville , Fl.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:47 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
I actually have had one of each of those and enjoyed them both~ 74 has grey water tank. the 67 has the charm of what airstream is all about and I vote for that one!
Old 11-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
One is an Argosy...one is an Airstream. Keep that in mind. The Overlander looks like a gem. Grey tanks , for some reason, are WAY over rated....it does relate thaw your dump system is set up, where you camp and how you camp. Still....way over rated. I am sure you will love the Overland better anyway. Don't break a window.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #13
oldmanvader

1973 27' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Surrey , British Columbia
Prefer the 67

Hi. I have a 73 overlander (27 foot) that I have been working on for the past 5 years on and off. Especially the frame, floor etc. At both the front and rear. At the start of the summer I picked up a 67 overlander (26 foot) and am in the process of rebuilding the rear end etc. My opinion, for what it is worth, would be to take the 67 if the rear frame etc. Is similar in both trailers. It seems to me that the build quality of the 67 is better than the 73 plus the 67 should be a little narrower. The lack of separate tanks in the 67 May offset that somewhat. Either way enjoy the airstream experience, you won't regret it.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St Paul , MN
if you bought them at a bargain price, how about considering how much you could sell both of them for to see if that would get you another unit that would work better for you? It won't be long and you will have teenagers so don't give up precious years now that could be used for enjoying family camping unless restoring the trailer becomes your family bonding project - that could be fun too. Our family of six camped in tents, truck campers, and small travel trailers so you can make either of those work. Enjoy!